Where do I start?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pjd57

Where do I start?

Post by pjd57 »

Hi, I'm new here and hope someone can help.
My grandfather was named Joseph Pane and he was born in 1882 in Gangi, Sicily.
I cannot find his info on the Ellis Island site and I believe he may have come to the US through the port of New Orleans.
I am not sure of the year he immigrated, but I would guess it to be between 1900 and 1910.
Does anyone know of a site that has manifests for the port of New Orleans?

Thanks for any help............pjd57
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Where do I start?

Post by mfjp »

I have spoken to the "customer service" people (anytime they call) at Ancestry .com (paid subscription site) to have them include the manifests of New Orleans... of the early 1900's

Not all New Orleans ship records are published on a free or paid site...

We will give it a search though...

If nothing shows up through Ellis Island or other ports, you could rent New Orleans (ship manifests) film from your local Family History Center... but lets see if we can find something first...

Could you mention the name of his wife and year of birth?

Have you researched any census records? If so, which years...

Found one Giuseppe - but the birth year would be 1878

www.ellisisland.org/se...2015170029

First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Pane
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Gangi, Sicily
Date of Arrival: June 30, 1907
Age at Arrival:  29y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Perugia
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0009

mfjp
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Here is the listing:

Name: Giuseppe Pane
Arrival Date: 07 Oct 1910
Age/Gender/Marital Status: 38/M/S
Native Country/Town: Gangi, Palermo
Destination: Gangi, La
Ship: SS Liguria
pjd57

Post by pjd57 »

:D

Thanks for responding guys.

Joseph Samuel Pane was born March 17, 1882 in Gangi, Sicily.

He was married twice. The first wife was named Lena but I don't know her last name or birthdate.
His second wife, my grandmother, was named Mary Delta Babin. She was born July 17, 1888 and baptised at Ascension Catholic Church in Donaldsonville, LA. They were married on 2/6/1924. At some point they moved to Denton, Texas where my mother was born, and then returned to the New Orleans area.

No, I have not tried the census records. How would I start with that(I really am brand new, I don't know where to go for info!)?

My grandfathers brothers are listed in his death notice as Santo, Tony and Guy Pane.

His naturalization certificate shows he became a US citizen on Feb. 22,1952. I know that he had been here since the early 1900's because that is when he married his first wife. Would it be possible to find out any more info from the naturalization record. I have the original copy. I was wondering if the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, who issued the certificate would have more info than is printed on it.

Thanks so much for all of your help.

pjd57
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Found a few census images of interest........the first one:
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/1700/upload0fd.png
page two for the 1930 census......
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9400/upload1yz.png
working on the others........image shack is running soooo slow........
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

1920 census image........
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/3763/upload3zi.png
wldspirit

I did locate a Lena Pane, also living in Texas, originating from Louisiana, age 57.....but image shack is giving me problems...... :roll:
pjd57

Post by pjd57 »

:) Thanks wldspirit, I really appreciate you finding those census records. I am positive that the 1930 records are those of my mom's family, but I'm not too sure about the 1920 one. I was thinking that my grandfather was in Louisiana in 1920.
How would I go about finding other info on when he may have arrived in the US?

Thanks again.......pjd57
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

New Orleans 1900-1952
MICROFILM:
Index to Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New Orleans, LA, 1900-1952; National Archives Microfilm Series T618; 22 rolls

NARA # is the catalog number for the National Archives
FHL # is the catalog number for the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City -- these can be ordered for viewing at any local Family History Center

This is an alphabetical Index...
NARA # Covers FHL #

T618-1 Aaberg, Vendel--Arias, Josefina 1412574
T618-2 Arias, Magdalena--Bellini, Nazzareno 1412575
T618-3 Bellino, Amalia--Brown, Arthur Andrew 1412576
T618-4 Brown, Ashton--Carteni, Catelena 1412577
T618-5 Carter, Mrs. A.B.--Coope, Anna 1412578
T618-6 Cooper, Mr.--DeBenedetto, Viola 1412579
T618-7 DeBeneditto, Horace--Fernandex, Avelino 1412580
T618-8 Fernandez, Bartolo--Gardley, Bernard 1412581
T618-9 Gardner, Alex. Golfie--Gutierres, Rafael 1412582
T618-10 Gutman, David--Iris, Jose Maria 1412583
T618-11 Irish, Thomas L.--LaCassin, Theresa 1412584
T618-12 LaCava, Domenica--Lopez, Evaristo 1412585
T618-13 Lopez, Miss F.--Matters, R. 1412586
T618-14 Mattes, Claudio Duarte--Morenier, Josefa 1412587
T618-15 Moreno, A.--Ottley, Clarence Eldridge 1412588
T618-16 Otto, Bessie--Pleikys, Else 1412589
T618-17 Pleisner, Franz--Robertson, Florence 1412590

Finding passenger records for New Orleans:
http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/neworleans.html
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Found this that might help......

Texas Birth records:
Joseph S Pane born 30 Jan, 1925, no parents listed in Cameron County
France William Pane born 19 Feb. 1927, parents JS Pane and Dalta Bobiu in San Patrico County
Delta Theresa born 26 Aug 1928, parents JS Pane and Delta Babin in San Patrico County

In WWI registration records:
Joe Pane born March 17 1882 in Italy. Nearest relative Guy Pane in Dennison Texas, Joe listed in Cherokee Co, Texas
Gaitano (Gaetano) Pane born 28 May 1890 born in Lar???Italy, Peddler, Dennison Co.
Tony Pane born 5 January 1884 in Italy. Living in Dennison lists his relative was Cadardo Pane in Italy. Ice Cream Maker

In the 1920 census...Tony and Guy are listed under surname Payne. Both appear to be single.

Since you state you have the naturalization papers. Prior to the issuance of citizenship, the immigrant filled out a Declaration of Intent and a Petition for Naturalization. Both of these have more information on them then does the actual Naturalization papers. Often they give name of parents, as well as arrival date, name of ship, and Port of Entery. This should be looked at before you start going through a lot of films of arrivals that might not apply. He could have come into the Port of Galveston as well.

The entery above for a Giuseppe age 38 was the only record I found for the Port of New Orleans for that surname...no soundex revealed a misspelled similar name...so possibly he came into NO after 1910. If he could be found in the 1920 census, it might give a clue as to the date of entry. Since he was in Texas in 1918 as well as when the children were born, I think he should be in Texas in 1920...just a guess. But do not see hide nor hair of him. And the 1930 census lists him being born in LA in error...so no mention of his arrival date there.

Keep hunting...and good luck.
pjd57

Post by pjd57 »

Hi essgee,
Thanks for all of that great info.
I didn't know that he was ever in WWI. That is interesting. Where would I go to view that information you posted?
I believe that the day of my mother's birth was listed incorrectly. I know that she was born in 1929. The other dates appear to be correct.
I had never heard the name Cadardo before but that is something to go on. I will have to investigate that one.
How do I start with the immigration certificate. Will that be a hard task to find out more?

Thanks again........pjd57
pjd57

Post by pjd57 »

Hi VaDeb,
Sorry, I forgot to thank you too!
I appreciate the manifest list. I will be going to the local library to find out if they have any of those on microfilm.
You guys are the best for taking time to help others. Keep up the good work!!

pjd57
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Since you have the naturalization papers, you know the court where he was naturalized. The other papers should be located in the same court as backup for the naturalization. I would start with contacting them first...you have the dates and the number. Often these documents are on microfilm by in this case, it would easier to just contact them.

The WWI registrations did not mean they served in WWI...only that they registered. The gov't required all males of a certain age to register in case they were then needed. Within a year of the registrations of these men, the was was all but over.

Name: Joe Pane
City: Not Stated
County: Cherokee
State: Texas
Birth Date: Mar 17 1882
Race: White
Roll: 1952402
Name: Gaitano Pane
County: Grayson
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 28 Mar 1890
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1953403
Name: Tony Pane
County: Grayson
Birth Date: 5 Jan 1884
Race: White
Roll: 1953403

The above is the copy and past of the record with the roll number...you can get the microfilims and see the documents. But Ancestry is a paid site and I cannot paste in the URL and get you there...it will not work.

So, I don't know what else will get the info to you outside of a personal subscription unless you use the roll numbers to get copies of the microfilms and read them. The Family History Library has the registrations on microfilm. Joe's is on microfilm # 1952403 and Guy's and Tony's are on #1953403...odd that they have so similar a number! but the first film is of Cherokee County and the second of Grayson County.

Again......I would try and get a copy of the Declaration of Intent and Petition for naturalizations before I went looking through the microfilms of arrivals. Since you don't have the exact port and time of arrival and ship's name. It would make it easier.

Good Luck..........
pjd57

Post by pjd57 »

:D
Essgee, thank you so much for that info. I will be going to the public libray this week to access their records. The numbers you gave me will be most useful. Do you know how I would get in touch with the churches in Gangi to find out if there are any birth records there?
Have a great evening.

pjd57
alisgis

Post by alisgis »

Dear pjd57,
I'm searching for my ancestor Giuseppe Pane that was in Americas in the 1900 century, he was from Gangi. Giuseppe Pane that I'm searching for is that is registered in the ship manifest:
- New Orleans, S.S. Liguria, Arrival Date: 07 Oct 1910;
I think that his age in that ship manifest probably is wrong, and would be 28.

His marital status was "married" with my great-great-grandmother Giovanna Maltese.

I don't know if the ancestor that I'm searching for is the same as your.

He had a little daughter, who went with him to Americas.