Dally

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Glennn

Dally

Post by Glennn »

Dear Friends,

I'm working on the genealogical tree of my Brazilian wife, Alessandra. Her mother's side of the family hails from southern Bahia, the Posta da Mata/Nova Vicosa area. Their family name is Dally. Family legend has it that an Italian immigrant married a Brazilian slave (circa 1880), who gave rise to my wife's great-grandfather Ernesto Dally (born 1886 in Bahia) and, in turn, grandfather Fernando Dally (born 1915 in Bahia). I understand that Dally is originally a French name, but also that this family, the descendants of Simon D'Ailly, were dispersed about Europe. Does anyone know if there is a pocket of Dally in Italy? Any information or helpful suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Glenn
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Dally

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website is it possible the name was spelled Dalle or Dalli

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Glennn

Post by Glennn »

Thanks Marty. Is the name Dally/Dalle/Dalli enough to narrow his origin to a particular region or regions, city or cities?
Glennn

Post by Glennn »

Marty,

To answer your question, I don't know. It would be strange for someone to immigrate to Brazil and replace an e or i with a y. Do you know if that is the case with the Italians who immigrated to the US? I have seen the name Dally used by first generation Italians on census records. Do you think all of these were originally Dalle or Dalli?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I checked the name Dally on familysearch.org and most of the hits were born in France or Germany or England that were in Brazil that's why I asked
I searched the Italian phone book for Dally no luck for that spelling

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty