Giovanni (John) finazzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
finazzo1235

Giovanni (John) finazzo

Post by finazzo1235 »

Searching for info on John Finazzo Born in Carini Sciliy, father was Carlo Finazzo
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Giovanni (John) finazzo

Post by Tessa78 »

finazzo1235 wrote:Searching for info on John Finazzo Born in Carini Sciliy, father was Carlo Finazzo
Do you have an approx. date of birth?

T.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi T! :) It's been a while. Hope all is well.

Based on info from this topic
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic25432.html

I located the following:
From James Bianco's Carini Exchange
http://www.cariniexchange.com/

Possible 29 June 1897 baptismal record in Latin
http://cariniexchange.com/ChurchRecords ... 99/107.jpg
Johannes (Giovanni) Finazzo
Natum ex (born from) Carolo (Carlo) and Benedicta Balsamo

Carolus Finazzo and Benedicta Balsamo's 24 Jan 1892 marriage record from the Church in Latin
http://cariniexchange.com/ChurchRecords ... 96/145.jpg

Tough to read and some of the text on the left appears to be missing, but here's what I'm seeing.
Carlo's father--Laurentius (Lorenzo) mother ? Troja (Troia)
Benedicta's parents--father Rosolino?, mother Martha Giambanco.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Biff! :D
Good to "see" you ... I'm well, thanks. Hope you are, too!

GREAT records you found!

I believe that the mother's name on the 1892 marriage is (in Latin) Hieronyma Troja(Troia)
and the father is Laurentius, as you stated. So Lorenzo and Girolama?

I really can't make out the bride's father's name, I agree that it could be Rosolino/Roselino... I believe you have the correct name for the mother (at least I see the same thing :-) )

EDIT TO ADD:
Civil marriage of Carlo and Benedetta took place in October of the year before...
Record #64
Dated 3 October 1891 in Carini
Groom: Carlo Finazzo, 30, carpenter, son of deceased Lorenzo and of [living] Girolama Troia
Bride: Benedetta Balsamo, 24, farmer, daughter of Rosolino and of Marta Giambanco

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1239407591

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Have not been able to locate the civil birth record for John/Giovanni yet. The records are listed as going to 1898, but they stop at 1895...

However, I located a sibling, born to Carlo Finazzo (age 34) and Benedetta Balsamo in 1895...
Record #144
dated 7 April 1895
Birth on 5 April
Child was given the name Rosolino Salvatore Alfredo Finazzo

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1469063374

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Trying to find an arrival manifest for John/Giovanni (Census on Family Tree states 1910)

Located a manifest in 1913, but name crossed off. Possibly did not sail, or listed somewhere else in the ship's manifest.

Was traveling with Lorenzo Finazzo, age 17 from Carini.
Giovanni is listed as 16, from Carini, where he leaves father Carlo
Both going to a cousin, also Lorenzo Finazzo, in Philadelphia...

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Giovanni Finazzo
Name: Giovanni Finazzo
Arrival Date: 5 Apr 1913
Birth Date: abt 1897
Birth Location: Sicily
Birth Location Other: carini
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Re D Italia

EDIT TO ADD:
According to this Philadelphia Passenger Index...
Giovanni Finazzo sailed one month later (May 1913) into Port of Phil. on the "Ancona"
Age 16, place of birth Carini, father's name: Carlo
Going to cousin Lorenzo Finazzo in Philadelphia...
Description: 5'2", rosy complexion, chestnut color hair and eyes :-)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n588652260

AND... POSSIBLE WWI registration card (address Christian St. in Phil.)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1139096426
Name: John Or Giovanni Finuzzo Or Fin*Zze
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1917-1918
Event Place: Philadelphia City no 2, Pennsylvania, United States
Birth Date: 25 Jun 1896
Birthplace: Palerno, , Italy
Nationality: Italy
Affiliate Publication Title: World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards
Affiliate Publication Number: M1509
GS Film number: 001907527
Digital Folder Number: 005270027
Image Number: 00271

Also...
APPLICATION for Headstone of Veteran
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=13005569
Name: John Fenazzo
Event Type: Cemetery
Event Date: 25 Jan 1939
Event Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Affiliate Publication Title: Applications for Headstones for U.S. Military Veterans, 1925-1941
Affiliate Publication Number: M1916
Affiliate Film Number: 36
GS Film number: 1878185
Digital Folder Number: 4832203
Image Number: 01923

T.
finazzo1235

Post by finazzo1235 »

Birth Date 24 June 1897t
finazzo1235

Post by finazzo1235 »

Rosolino was my uncle
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

finazzo1235 wrote:Rosolino was my uncle
Yes, I surmised as much :-)

I located the Pennsylvania Naturalization record for Rosolino should you be interested.

However, I cannot locate Giovanni's civil birth registration online. Records are not there. Biff :D provided you with the baptismal record for him. If you wish, you can write directly to the comune of Carini to request his civil birth record.

Additionally, you have much information above about Giovanni's parents, and the names of his grandparents in the records above.

T.
finazzo1235

Post by finazzo1235 »

Thank you very much
rmtessier

Post by rmtessier »

Wondering if someone could help me. My great grandfather was Giovanni Finazzo, born before 1881, but I don't have the exact year. I do know that his wife, Girolama Adragna, was born in that year and he was older. He was born in what used to be called Favarotta (unsure of spelling). Girolama was from Castellammare. Great-Grandpa came to US first, then sent for Great-Grandma. I believe his parents were Giuseppe and Giovanina Finazzo. I don't know her maiden name. I contacted the church where my grandfather was born, to see if I could get a baptismal record, but that church no longer exists and it sounded like it was going to be involved to chase down that information. I am only assuming he came in through New York. He first settled in the Detroit area, then lived the rest of his life in Saginaw, Michigan. In order to try to distance himself from some unsavory Sicilian characters, he changed his surname to Finazzi after a time, but I have seen some very old documentation that verifies that it was Finazzo, originally. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

rmtessier wrote:Wondering if someone could help me. My great grandfather was Giovanni Finazzo, born before 1881, but I don't have the exact year. I do know that his wife, Girolama Adragna, was born in that year and he was older. He was born in what used to be called Favarotta (unsure of spelling). Girolama was from Castellammare. Great-Grandpa came to US first, then sent for Great-Grandma. I believe his parents were Giuseppe and Giovanina Finazzo. I don't know her maiden name. I contacted the church where my grandfather was born, to see if I could get a baptismal record, but that church no longer exists and it sounded like it was going to be involved to chase down that information. I am only assuming he came in through New York. He first settled in the Detroit area, then lived the rest of his life in Saginaw, Michigan. In order to try to distance himself from some unsavory Sicilian characters, he changed his surname to Finazzi after a time, but I have seen some very old documentation that verifies that it was Finazzo, originally. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

Hello and welcome! :-)

There are two villages in Sicily with the name FAVAROTTA
~Favarotta, comune of Modica, Ragusa, Sicily
~Favarotta Scalo, comune of Licata, Agrigento, Sicily

However, the surname FINAZZO is found primarily in the Province of Palermo and Trapani.

The surname ADRAGNA is common to the town of Castellammare del Golfo in Trapani :-)

Have you found an arrival manifest for Giovanni?

T.
rmtessier

Post by rmtessier »

Hi, Theresa! Thank you for your reply and I apologize for not getting back, sooner. I have not found a manifest match; however, it is a very common name, correct? At least, it seemed daunting to me. I will try to find an approximate birthdate for them both. There are death notices that my family possesses, so maybe I can find a tidbit in there. Unfortunately, all of my grandparents and their siblings have now passed, though most lived to quite an advanced age. Thanks again, I so appreciate your comments!
rmtessier

Post by rmtessier »

Okay, Theresa. I can't find my documentation at this time, but my great aunts said Great Grandpa said he was from what is now called Terrasini, which I believe used to be known as Favarotta? This is the only info I can add, sorry.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

rmtessier wrote:Okay, Theresa. I can't find my documentation at this time, but my great aunts said Great Grandpa said he was from what is now called Terrasini, which I believe used to be known as Favarotta? This is the only info I can add, sorry.
Here is a POSSIBLE arrival manifest :-)

He is listed as GIOVANNINO FINAZZI ----
Age 24, married, fisherman from Terrasini
Destination is Detroit, Michigan to "brother in law Salvatore ???? @ #209 Sa??? St. E."
Arrival New York in April 1904.

Line 29 - click image to enlarge and again to magnify

EDIT TO ADD:

The surname was indeed spelled with a final "o" :-)
Here is Giovanni's birth record from Terrasini in 1879

Record #199
Dated 2 November 1879 at 8:30 AM at the town office in Terrasini
Before the official appeared Giuseppe Finazzo, age 31, farmer residing in Terrasini,
to declare that at 5:02 AM on the 1st of the current month of November,
at the place as Via D'Arenale(sp?), to Giovanna Misuccia, his wife living with him,
was born a male child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name
GIOVANNI

Notation in column...
On 21 (or 31) January 1904 he married with Girolama Adragna :-)

Top left record
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353605302

T.