Sondrio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aussieguy2402

Sondrio

Post by aussieguy2402 »

Hi all
For my grandmothers 92nd birthday I am trying to find some old documents and photos for her. She was born in Sondrio in 1921 and left to come to australia in 1952. She lost most of her old photos prior to her leaving but she did say they were taken form her by some government officals.
Her Married name is Angela Gandossi, her maiden surname is Credaro. Is there anywhere I can write to or any websites that I can find old photos and documents?

thanks!
Simon
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Sondrio

Post by suanj »

you sure that your grandmother was born in Sondrio town and not in some Commune in Sondrio province' Many Gandossi and Credaro emigrated in Australia coming from Montagna town in Sondrio province...
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
aussieguy2402

Post by aussieguy2402 »

I have tried asking my grandmother but her memory is not good. But I did find out the town was Montagna.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hello!
This is the website of the Comune of Montagna in Valtellina
http://www.comune.montagnainvaltellina.so.it
You can ask for your grandmother birth certificate writing to anagrafe@comune.montagnainvaltellina.so.it
(to make the research quicker supply her date of birth and the name of her parents)
The Museo Etnografico Tiranese has done a great job in researching the emigration from Sondrio Region (a valley called Valtellina), Maybe they can help you
museo.tirano@provincia.so.it
Also there is a book by J.Templeton about emigration from Valtellina to Australia
http://uwap.uwa.edu.au/books-and-author ... -the-bush/
Happy birthday to your grandmother!
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin