Translation Appreciated

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Translation Appreciated

Post by skooter555 »

I would appreciate it if the following death record for my great-great-great grandmother, Cristina Tripoli (nee Mineo), could be translated. It would also be appreciated if the hour of death and the names, ages, and occupations of the informants/witnesses could be provided. In addition, does anyone know why the name of the decedent's mother would not be listed on this particular death record? In other more recent death records that I have managed to translate from the 1880s-1890s they have all stated the parents names of the deceased, so I am just curious as to this question.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n400949220

Thanks greatly,
Tyler Radtke
skooter111996@gmail.com
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translation Appreciated

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Tyler,

While I can not tell you for certain why Cristina's mother is not named in this record, I CAN tell you that this is not her death act, but rather, it is an EXTRACT of the death act (a written copy) that was presented as part of the required documents for marriage. That is why it is in the Allegati...

Translation...
Extract of death of Cristina Mineo
Number 52
Dated 7 March 1868 at 4 PM at the municipal office in Bagheria
Appearing before the official was Giuseppe Gagliano, 32, and Luigi Gagliano, 27, grave diggers, both residing in Bagheria, to declare that today in the above month, died Cristina Mineo, age 21, born and residing in Bagheria, daugher of Gioachino Campagnolo, residing in Bagheria; wife of Giovambattista Tripoli.

EDIT TO ADD:
I looked at the birth record in 1864 for Salvatore Tripoli in this allegati and it gives Cristina Mineo's age as 20. Four years later this death extract gives her age as 21. It is also interesting that she does not carry the surname of her father.
You might want to find her birth or marriage record, or write to Bagheria for a copy to see if her mother is mentioned in either of those documents.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

T
I searched earlier for the original death act among the 1868 records for the town and it wasn't there, which I thought was odd-at least it is not listed in the index for that year and I searched the index for the year before, and there were a lot of Mineo but no Cristina.
Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

erudita74 wrote:T
I searched earlier for the original death act among the 1868 records for the town and it wasn't there, which I thought was odd-at least it is not listed in the index for that year and I searched the index for the year before, and there were a lot of Mineo but no Cristina.
Erudita
Erudita :-)

Yes, I also searched, and was unsuccessful. I think the poster's next step would be to see if the comune has a copy. Wouldn't you say?

T.
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Hi Erudita and Tessa,

Thank you so much for all of your generous help in my quest to learn more about my family roots. I will definitely have to write to the comune in Bagheria and try to locate a copy of Cristina's birth or marriage record in the near future. I also agree with you Erudita that it is strange that Cristina's father, Giochino, does not go by the surname Mineo--Cristina's maiden name. Could "Campagnolo" possibly be Giochino's occupation? The reason I am wondering this is because on numerous other death records that I have found for some of my ancestors, under the father's name it just lists his first name and not his surname being that it is presumably the same as the person that the created record pertains to. I looked up "Campagnolo" in google translate and it states that it is a noun for the Italian occupation of countryman (contadino/campagnolo/compatriota). This is just something that peaked my curiousity.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

skooter555 wrote:Hi Erudita and Tessa,

Thank you so much for all of your generous help in my quest to learn more about my family roots. I will definitely have to write to the comune in Bagheria and try to locate a copy of Cristina's birth or marriage record in the near future. I also agree with you Erudita that it is strange that Cristina's father, Giochino, does not go by the surname Mineo--Cristina's maiden name. Could "Campagnolo" possibly be Giochino's occupation? The reason I am wondering this is because on numerous other death records that I have found for some of my ancestors, under the father's name it just lists his first name and not his surname being that it is presumably the same as the person that the created record pertains to. I looked up "Campagnolo" in google translate and it states that it is a noun for the Italian occupation of countryman (contadino/campagnolo/compatriota). This is just something that peaked my curiousity.
Yes, that was my thought when I first saw it. You are correct that usually just the given name of the father is written in the record unless there is a difference in the surnames.
Yes, campagnolo is an occupation, but I was surprised to see it capitalized in the record.

At this point, given that this is an extract, it certainly is possible that in re-writing the record, the clerk may have forgotten a simple comma. :-)
Locating her marriage or birth record might help to clear that up

T.