Angelo Parrella - The Italian Desperado

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Angelo Parrella - The Italian Desperado

Post by gliesian66 »

I just started a page for approval on Wikipedia for Angelo Parrella:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_ ... o_Parrella

Once matured, it will be here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelo_Parrella

If anyone would like to help in gathering information on Angelo Parrella, it would be appreciated.

This is the basic information that we are building from:

Angelo Parrella, a.k.a, Angelo Bill, Angelo Del Bello and the Italian Desperado. He was born in 1868 in Agnone, Italy.

The Italian Desperado was involved in a shooting that took place in Coalburg, Ohio on February 24, 1898. The victims were members of an Italian coal-mining family. Four people were shot; all survived except a five-year-old boy who died a week later.

The shooting was so shocking that it (and the subsequent trial) was covered for months in almost forty newspaper articles and was even reported 2,000 miles away in the L.A. Times.

Angelo was convicted and sentenced to life in the Ohio State Penitentiary and was regarded as the most dangerous inmate there. He died there in 1916 of a cerebral hemorrhage.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Angelo Parrella - The Italian Desperado

Post by Biff83 »

Ohio Death Certificate for Angelo Del Bello shows birth year as 1856, with death as 25 Feb 1916 from Cerebral Hemorrhage.

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4293/5tpg.jpg

1910 census for Ohio State Pen for Angelo Del Bello also shows yob as about 1857.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9827/hxj1.jpg

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1898 newspaper article from Marietta Ohio Daily Leader.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/ ... nge&page=1

Another article article in 1899 on Del Bello, the "prison demon," from the Indian Chieftain paper, Indian Territory OK.

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/ ... nge&page=1

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gliesian66 »

Can anyone give me an exact birth date for Angelo Parrella?
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ty79978 »

Do you know anything about a marriage?
Parents names?
Perhaps he may be in more census. I saw the 1910 Census.
I know they recorded the month of birth in the 1900s Census.
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ty79978 »

Have you seen this?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=49528304&

- Definitely the same person that Biff mentioned above, probably just typed incorrectly on Find-A-Grave.

Considering the plot is listed, if you create an account, you can request a photo.
If someone just happens to be going to that particular cemetery in Ohio, they might take a picture of the grave for you. (Free of charge for you).

This site has helped me with locating several headstones and graves in my family.

Best of luck.
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ty79978 »

*Biff -- I apologize for my typing mistake.
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gliesian66 »

Thanks for the help.

I did a photo request on this gravesite as you sugguested (though, I really need to find the inmate number first).

I will also try to find other family information, to help finding his actually birth date.

Thanks,
Robert
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gliesian66 »

An update...

The Italian Desperado

Angelo Parrella[1] , a.k.a, Angelo Bill, Angelo Del Bello and the Italian Desperado was a well-known murderer in the late 1890's. He was born in 1868 in Agnone, Italy. He was involved in a shooting that took place in Coalburg, Ohio on February 24, 1898. The victims were members of an Italian coal-mining family. Four people were shot; all survived except a five-year-old boy (Joseph Ferrando) who died a week later. It was later stated by Angelo, that he did not intend to shoot the boy.[2] Mrs. Peter Ferrando, aged 50, was shot in her left arm and shoulder. Martha Lawrence, aged 55 had a bullet shot and lodged into her right hip. Daniel Noute, aged 50, had bullet wounds in his right cheek, left groin and left breast.[3]

The shooting was so shocking that it (and the subsequent trial) was covered for months in almost forty newspaper articles and was even reported 2,000 miles away in the L.A. Times.

On February 26, 1898, the Youngstown Vidicator[4] printed Angelo's motive, "“The motive Angelo Will had in attempting to kill Mrs. Ferrando and her four relatives is now given by the Vindicator for the first time. He had asked her to marry, and she refused. He threatened to kill her and all the family. It is stated Will has a wife and four children in Italy and that he had to leave there because he killed a man."

On April 21, 1898, the Stark County Democrat reported the indictment of Angelo del Bello for murder. The trial began on May 16, 1898 and the account of it appeared in the May 17th edition of the Western Reserve Chronicle.

Angelo was convicted and sentenced to life in the Ohio Lima State Penitentiary and was regarded as the most dangerous inmate there. He died there in February 14h, 1916 of a cerebral hemorrhage, as noted in his death certificate File no 8425, State of Ohio.

An article[5] about one of Angelo’s sons appeared in the Youngstown Daily Vindicator on June 20, 1907 and stated, “Tony Paire, the young Italian who is under arrest for shooting at Nick Jock... It is alleged that Paire comes of a shooting family. His father is said to be serving a term in the penitentiary at the present time for killing the little nephew of Patrolman Ferrando at Coalburg several years ago.”
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gliesian66 »

An update...

The Italian Desperado

Angelo Parrella[1] , a.k.a, Angelo Bill, Angelo Del Bello, "prison demon"[2] and the Italian Desperado (1856 – Feb 25, 1916) was a well-known murderer in the late 1890's. He was born in 1868 in Agnone, Italy. He was involved in a shooting that took place in Coalburg, Ohio on February 24, 1898. The victims were members of an Italian coal-mining family. Four people were shot; all survived except a five-year-old boy (Joseph Ferrando) who died a week later. It was later stated by Angelo, that he did not intend to shoot the boy.[3] Mrs. Peter Ferrando, aged 50, was shot in her left arm and shoulder. Martha Lawrence, aged 55 had a bullet shot and lodged into her right hip. Daniel Noute, aged 50, had bullet wounds in his right cheek, left groin and left breast.[4]

On February 26, 1898, the Youngstown Vidicator[5] printed Angelo's motive, "“The motive Angelo Will had in attempting to kill Mrs. Ferrando and her four relatives is now given by the Vindicator for the first time. He had asked her to marry, and she refused. He threatened to kill her and all the family. It is stated Will has a wife and four children in Italy and that he had to leave there because he killed a man."

On April 21, 1898, the Stark County Democrat reported the indictment of Angelo del Bello for murder, in the first degree. The trial began on May 16, 1898 and the account of it appeared in the May 17th edition of the Western Reserve Chronicle.

Angelo was convicted and sentenced to life in the Ohio Lima State Penitentiary and was regarded as the most dangerous inmate there. During his stay he was given the title of "prison demon", which previously belonged to Ira Marlatt. The prison physician believed that Angelo's face was changing form and shape as noted by the Oklahoma Indian Chieftain[6] , "The left side of the man's face seems to be caving in, while the right side is bulging out, and the mouth is gradually moving toward the right ear." These facial changes were compared to those that happened to [Holmes]. While in prison, Angelo made a variety of weapons, such a sharpened broom stick[7] and a modified spoon[8] .

Angelo died at Ohio State Hospital in February 25h, 1916 of a cerebral hemorrhage, as noted in his death certificate File no 8425, State of Ohio. A contributing cause of his death was arteriosclerosis. He is buried at the Lima State Hospital Cemetary.

An article[9] about one of Angelo’s sons appeared in the Youngstown Daily Vindicator on June 20, 1907 and stated, “Tony Paire, the young Italian who is under arrest for shooting at Nick Jock... It is alleged that Paire comes of a shooting family. His father is said to be serving a term in the penitentiary at the present time for killing the little nephew of Patrolman Ferrando at Coalburg several years ago.”
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Hi Robert,

Here's an update on this thread . . . I have found articles about the shooting, Angelo's trial and his imprisonment in sixty-five newspapers including the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the New York Tribune and the Los Angeles Times. Also, two weeks ago, someone added this photo to Find-A-Grave:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =121505107

I wonder how old that last coat of paint is . . .

Joe