Birth record street name

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Birth record street name

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

I was able to view my great-grandfather's birth record from Pentone-Calabria which says he was born in a house on "Via S. Nicola", but there appears to be no such street name in present day Pentone. His birth record is from 1886. Is it possible a street name location no longer exists? If so, how can I know what the present street name is to determine the present day location in the town? Thanks.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Birth record street name

Post by adelfio »

You know it might have been the street that Chiesa(CHURCH) San Nicola di Bari in Pentone was on

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Hi Marty- I have emailed the church in hopes that they will let me know. The church's present address is 7, Via Francesco E Giuseppe Capilupi. Maybe like you said -back then in 1886 it was called Via San Nicola and they changed the name. If anything, I would think the church would know about this. There is a Pentone community on Facebook. I asked current Pentonesi on Facebook, but no one seems to be familiar with that street name. I also emailed Pro Loco Pentone- Associazione Turistica di Pentone to see if anyone knows about this street name. Hopefully, someone can let me know. I'll keep you posted on this. Joy.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I would send an email to the town, telling the name of the street in the record you have and from what year, and ask if the street has changed names. I have done this for other towns and received replies.

protocollo@comunedipentone.it

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Erudita -Thank you. I will send them an email. Joy.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. Hope you get a response.
Erudita
timpane

Post by timpane »

There is a Pentone community on Facebook. I asked current Pentonesi on Facebook, but no one seems to be familiar with that street name. I also emailed Pro Loco Pentone- Associazione Turistica di Pentone to see if anyone knows about this street name.
We offer 100% pass result in first attempt for all kind of IT exams including redhat certification dumps and Intel . Join Northwestern University online course to save a big deal on real exam.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Update: so far I have gotten several responses back from my inquiries with Pentonesi, no one recalls a street called Via/Strada San Nicola in Pentone, Calabria. I have asked those born there going back as early as 1930. Since my great-grandfather was born in a house on this street in 1886 either the location was renamed something else that “present day” Pentonesi don’t know about or the street was eliminated from the town all together. I still hope to hear from the church of San Nicola Di Bari and protocollo@comunedipentone.it since I emailed both for this information.

On another note re: the birth record, what I discovered in viewing these records is that it appears “Annunziata Lorenzo” is listed as “e comparsa” on several birth records (not just my great-grandfather’s). I am wondering if she was the town/village’s local midwife. She might’ve been related to my great, great-grandmother since they have the same last/surname. There’s many things one can pick up or learn just from viewing these records including the work or occupation they had at that time. The area was known for it’s “lace” making. Seems on the birth record, the two witnesses were “spinners”. I did some research to find out this was an ancient craft in those parts of Calabria back then. Coincidently, my great-grandfather’s cousin worked in a “lace mill” circa 1920 out on Long Island, NY. Will continue to update on any progress on the street name location. Joy.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Good news update on street name. I received email response saying that, in fact, Via S. Nicola name was changed long ago to Vico/Via Santa Barbara. I was even sent a photo image of this very short "pathway"/"alleyway" that was once Via S. Nicola-birthplace of my great-grandfather. Now, I have a tangible location that is where he was born.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

gentilejoy@yahoo.com wrote:Good news update on street name. I received email response saying that, in fact, Via S. Nicola name was changed long ago to Vico/Via Santa Barbara. I was even sent a photo image of this very short "pathway"/"alleyway" that was once Via S. Nicola-birthplace of my great-grandfather. Now, I have a tangible location that is where he was born.
So happy to hear that you got an email response from the town.

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

@Erudita- Yes, I was very happy ! Thank you.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

gentilejoy@yahoo.com wrote:@Erudita- Yes, I was very happy ! Thank you.
For some reason, towns are not always cooperative when we ask for specific information concerning our ancestors (probably because of the time involved in doing the look-ups), but when it comes to asking about street names which may have changed names, or no longer exist, I've found towns to be very forthcoming with the info. That's why I suggested you send the email. The reply you received certainly took the guess work out of the equation, and you now have a definite answer. I'm happy it worked out for you.

Erudita
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I'd say that, moreover, even if streets change their "official" name, they keep their original one in popular use; so, there's no search effort for people who live there to find out what the street is...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.