Valli surname Como

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
highlander_38

Valli surname Como

Post by highlander_38 »

Hi

I am looking for the birth record of my Great Great grandfather, Giuseppe Valli.
His New Zealand death certificate states his place of birth as Lombardy, Italy.
He naturalised as a New Zealand citizen in 1867 and gave his place of birth as Como.
I am usure if this would be the city of Como or the district if Como.
I believe his year of birth to be 1832. His father's name is Antonio, a silkworm plantation keeper and his mother's name is possibly Teresa.
Is there a central repostory of church birth records or do I need to contach every chirch in the area? I realise his birth predates civil registration, so am seeking advice on the best way of locating his birth record.

Cheers
Ian
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Valli surname Como

Post by suanj »

Hi, in this database abt church records ( 1830-1866) of some parish in Como, no one Valli or Valle:
http://www.centrorusca.it/it/content/Ba ... -Battesimi

it is possible that he was born in some commune the surrounding area?
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi!
As Suanji noted this database has only the records for some parishes, those in the inner city of Como. If your ancestor's family was involved in silkworm raising it is possible that they lived in the country
Centro Rusca has the original baptismal records for all the parishes of the Diocese of Como (that unluckily is not the same thing as the territory of Como, some part of which was in Milan Diocese...)
Writing to them is worth a try, and they are kind and efficient, but without some clue about the actual parish it will be a very difficult search
The address is archivio@centrorusca.it
Good luck
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
highlander_38

Post by highlander_38 »

Thanks for your reply Paola52.
I will email them and see if they can help.
highlander_38

Post by highlander_38 »

THanks Suanj. I knew this was going to be tough!
Ryanhiko

Post by Ryanhiko »

Hi there,
I have been searching my family history recently while trying to put together all the pieces,I always knew that my family came from Italia, I managed to find some information and found out that Giuseppe Valli is my Great Great Great Great Grandfather and he lived in Southland, New Zealand. I was wondering if we could possibly get in contact and exchange some information?

My name is Ryan Hiko and I live in Mosgiel, Dunedin.

Any infomation would would be a great help.

Thanks
Ryan
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Giuseppe Valli arrived on Friday 4 January 1856 and in same trip just another italian: Antonio Fedolio..(sp?)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... m=Giuseppe Valli&searchLimits=
maybe helpful...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
OneOfSix

Post by OneOfSix »

Hi
Minnie (Dominica) Livingston - another descendant of Giuseppe Valli - has passed down some of the story. From what I have been told, her oral history suggests Giuseppe was from Riva San Vitale (now in modern day Switzerland) and the parish of San Agata is mentioned. This is not inconsistent with the Death and Marriage Certificate information that refers to Como or Lombardy as the place where Giuseppe originated. (Como is in the region of Lombardy.)

Interestingly, this is what Wikipedia says about Riva San Vitale - “Riva San Vitale was one of the oldest centers of the diocese of Como, to which it belonged until 1884/88. From here, Christianity spread into the Ticino.”

Riva San Vitale is only about 10 kilometres from the town of Como - from what I can tell on Google Maps. You may find what you are looking for there. Good luck.
Anothercousin

Post by Anothercousin »

Hi, I'm also a descendent of Giuseppe. He was my great great grandfather. My great grandfather was James. I'm really excited to hear of the Swiss connection. OneOfSix, did Dominica pass down if Giuseppe had a brother or relative that came out before him? There is a Luigi Valli buried in Clyde. Also I'd love to confirm the surname of Giuseppe's mother. Another relative has been researching and thinks it may have been Ossola. I would love to know as much as possible. Thanks!
apteryx

Post by apteryx »

I am another great great grandson of Giuseppe.My great grandfather was John.
When I last visited Como an optometrist shop on the Main Street was called Valli.
Is Dominica Livingston contactable?
We should try and publish a family tree for the family and its branches.