Ship Sailing

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Ship Sailing

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

My maternal great-grandmother came with her parents on the Kronprinz Frederich Wilhelm
12/11/1893 arrival date into NYC; however last place of residence is listed as "unknown". We were always told that they came from Sorrento, but we can not seem to verify this information. I have had no luck for the longest time in pulling up the manifest image from the Ellis Island Foundation site to determine if it confirms this or not. If no where on the ship manifest, where else would an ancestral hometown/village be noted? Surname is Capozzi. Thank you.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Ship Sailing

Post by Biff83 »

I located the image on Ancestry under Fortunata "Caporsi" but imageshack appears to be down so I can not post a link. Looks like her parents are Luigi Cozzi and Anna Caccioppoli.

Can someone else please post the image? Thanks.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here is the passenger card which appears on the ellisislandrecords.org website. You can access the text passenger list, but the original manifest remains unaccessible. Since last night, I have been getting the message "We are experiencing service delays. Please try again or contact our customer service." As you can see on the passenger card below though, the last residence is left blank.

First Name: Luigi
Last Name: Capozzi
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Dec 11, 1893
Age at Arrival: 32y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Kronprinz Friedrich Wilhelm
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0024

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

@Erudita, thanks! I have been getting that same message for about 3 months. My g-grandmother always said she was from Sorrento, but I am not able to confirm this from the ship manifest card since it says last place of residence: blank or unknown. I did; however, get a copy of her United States petition for naturalization from NARA which states she was born in Naples. She never said she was actually from Naples or that she was Napolitana ? I do know that Sorrento is a city in the Province of Naples, but I know that there is also the actual city of Naples. So, I do not know if she was born in Sorrento -city in Naples Province or the actual city of Naples. When she arrived at Ellis Island she was an infant. Her parents named her "fortunata" which means "fortunate one".
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Go to http://www.stevemorse.org
Go to the third option down which says "Missing Manifests"
Put in the date Nov 15, 1893
For the series, select M237
for the roll, 621
for the frame 714

hit display and you should be able to see the original manifest page-the link below doesn't work, sorry, but you should be able to access the original manifest if you follow the above instructions

http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/mm.htm?bac ... morse.org/

Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Wow, for the first time (using above instructions) I am able to view the actual ship manifest. My g-grandmother came with her parents. Appears she was about 2 or so months old. Just as the ship card, the manifest does not specifically say what village or locale in Italy they were from. Her dad's occupation is listed as "merchant". This site helped me see the actual manifest which I couldn't do for months. My next mission with my great grandmother's side regarding genealogy search is to try to confirm whether they were from Sorrento or the city of Naples. Erudita-Thank you for this site to access the missing manifest.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Joy
I'm happy you were finally able to view the original manifest but sorry that it doesn't have the info for which you are searching. Hopefully the information will appear on some other document.
Erudita
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks! I'll keep checking. :)