Translate Rosalia MORTI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Translate Rosalia MORTI

Post by ray1955 »

Found most the information but Rosalia's age and info on witnesses....thanks.https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :668728320
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Translate Rosalia MORTI

Post by adelfio »

7 months old
Pasquale Sinatra age 56 civilian
Pietro Parisi age 46 civilian

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The word civile does not mean civilian. It refers to a landowner.

civile- was used in the south, mostly between 1860 and 1930-for non-noble large land holders who left even the supervision of their estates to others.

Erudita
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

erudita74 wrote:The word civile does not mean civilian. It refers to a landowner.

civile- was used in the south, mostly between 1860 and 1930-for non-noble large land holders who left even the supervision of their estates to others.

Erudita
Hi
Ask Livio

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

My info is from a number of books well researched and written by professors like Rudolph Bell and Linda Reeder.

Erudita
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

My book by Lynn Nelson just says middle class person which could be a land owner however these are witnesses so other than their spelling and age not much importance here. I find it interesting however but we have the same in our English language multiple meanings.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

in these records, the people with the occupation may be witnesses but in other records they may be ancestors, so it is important to understand the word as it was used during the time period in which they lived. Another source I had found some time ago gives the following explanation--

"civile" was utilized to indicate a well-off person denied or deprived of academic titles, but with elevated cultural characteristics respected by the mass (or rest of the population)

Erudita
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

erudita74 wrote:in these records, the people with the occupation may be witnesses but in other records they may be ancestors, so it is important to understand the word as it was used during the time period in which they lived. Another source I had found some time ago gives the following explanation--

"civile" was utilized to indicate a well-off person denied or deprived of academic titles, but with elevated cultural characteristics respected by the mass (or rest of the population)

Erudita
That's me a civilian :lol:
Thank you for your expert input Erudita

Marty

Marty

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Marty
I've spent a lot of time over the years researching the various occupations found in the Italian civil records. I have learned that word lists found on the internet, and current Italian dictionaries, will give you an English translation of the Italian word but not really help you to understand the type of work in which your ancestors engaged. So I still spend a lot of time researching the occupations. I wouldn't say I am an expert though, as I am still learning.
Erudita