Great Grandparents Matrimony Record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Great Grandparents Matrimony Record

Post by gliesian66 »

Here is the matrimony record of my great grandparents

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :786141221

Can someone please read through it and tell me the highlights of the records.

I speak/read no Italian, so I can't read it.

Thanks,
Robert
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Great Grandparents Matrimony Record

Post by liviomoreno »

This is not the marriage record, but it contains all the documents presented by Giuseppe Liguori and Maria Leonarda Lizzi to get married.
The marriage may have occurred some time between the end of September and the beginning of October 1902
The documents are:
- Certificate of poverty of the spouses, released by the Mayor
- 3 certificates of banns posted
- birth act of Giuseppe Liguori
- birth act of Maria Leonarda Lizzi
Death act of Michelantonio Liguori
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gliesian66 »

Hi,

What does this mean:
"Certificate of poverty of the spouses, released by the Mayor"

Also, can you elaborate on the 3 banns? I don't know what they are?

Thanks,
Robert
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gliesian66 »

I am curious... since they were both in poverty, what was the likelihood that photographs were taken at this wedding in 1902? Also, was photograph-taking common between 1878 and 1910 in Troia, Foggia, Puglia, Italy?

Thanks,
Robert
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The Mayor certified that they were in poverty and therefore they id not pay for the marriage.
The marriage banns or publications had to be posted before the marriage to ensure that there were no impediments to the marriage
gliesian66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gliesian66 »

Were these the banns:
- Death act of Michelantonio Liguori

Or were the three banns, something else?

Also, what does poverty mean? Does it mean that they made less than a certain amount of money each year, or did it mean they had no jobs or housing... how did they define poverty back then?

Also were there different sections to Troia back then, i.e., a section with more money than another?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

gliesian66 wrote:Were these the banns:
- Death act of Michelantonio Liguori

Or were the three banns, something else?

Also, what does poverty mean? Does it mean that they made less than a certain amount of money each year, or did it mean they had no jobs or housing... how did they define poverty back then?

Also were there different sections to Troia back then, i.e., a section with more money than another?
No, they are not the banns. The following are links to your marriage banns. In the Allegati here for Giuseppe and Maria the banns appear between the second Certificato Di Nullatenenza and Giuseppe Liguor’s Birth record. Your Marriage Banns are here:

First Marriage Bann (Pubblicazione Di Matrimonio) dated 14 September):

Second Marriage Bann (2 Pubblicazione Di Matrimonio) (dated 21 September )

Third Marriage Bann: Registro delle richieste di Matrimonio

I hope this helps.

Just to expand a little what Livio has already said and he can correct anything amiss: The marriage banns were posted to ensure that there was no opposition to an upcoming marriage. They were usually posted three times and I have seen them posted up to five times in some of my records. My understanding from what I have read is the first would be posted for 7 days and then the second would replace it and remain posted for three days. After that point, the marriage could take place, as long as there were no impediments, e.g. one of the spouses already being married. (Something to be aware of is that because a couple requested that their publications/banns be made does not necessarily mean that a marriage actually took place so if you can locate a marriage record “atto di matrimonio”, you should do so.)

Keep going, you are doing really well. (I remember being quite overwhelmed when I first came across Allegati and I am so pleased I have persevered with them. I am having to learn to read Italian very quickly!)

Angela