Ciangaglione? Ciancaglione?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Badfish740

Ciangaglione? Ciancaglione?

Post by Badfish740 »

Yesterday I attended the funeral for my great aunt-she was nearly 97 and the last living member of her generation of the family. In talking with relatives afterwards we realized that some of us have bits and pieces of the family history, but not much more than that. One nagging question I have regards the fact that there was a name change in the mid 1940s and no one knows why. My mother's maiden name was "Leone." From what I can tell it's a relatively common Italian surname. However, it was legally changed to Leone by my great grandfather in 1946. I have found multiple spellings of the original name in various records (U.S. Census Data, Draft Registration, WWII enlistment records, etc...):

"Ciangagleone"
"Ciangagleoni"
"Ciancagleoni"

Searching "Ciangaglione" yields a WWI Draft Registration Card for my great grandfather, "Giovanni Ciangaglione:"

Giovanni Ciangaglione, age 29, living at 292 N. Clinton St., Trenton, NJ, born March 24, 1888. Born Teramo, Italy, Declared intention to become citizen, has wife, 3 children, father, mother to support.

Family lore says that Giovanni (later known as John) immigrated to the U.S. in 1905, but I can find no record of a Giovanni Ciangaglione, Ciancaglione, or Ciangagleone ever coming through Ellis Island or through Philadelphia or other New York Ports. In fact, searching the spelling "Ciangaglione" (the spelling as it appears on the WWI draft registration card and all subsequent census documents until the change in 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940) yields no one ever immigrating to the United States with that name. In addition, in various records my great grandfather's birth year seems to vary from 1888 to 1889 and his year of immigration varies from 1905 to 1906.

What makes me really suspicious was something my cousin told me yesterday. She had been doing a genealogy project for school and interviewed my great aunt. In the course of the interview she asked why the name was changed. My great aunt simply said, "I don't talk about that..." When you really think about it, it makes little sense. In 1946 my grandfather would have been nearly 60 years old and in this country for nearly 40 years. His children were all in their 20s and 30s, and I even found the enlistment record for his son (my grandfather) under the old last name in 1943. I've heard many stories of immigrants anglicizing their names (my wife's great grandparents went from "Palma" to "Palmer" shortly after arriving in the U.S.), or names being misspelled or deliberately shortened by immigration personnel at ports of entry, but this doesn't fit any of those criteria. Another interesting bit of the story is that I have been told that my grandfather served in Italy during WWII and was able to connect with some relatives while on R&R. The name change occurred shortly after he returned to the U.S... Perhaps there was a falling out between the families? Maybe the relatives in the old country were Axis sympathizers?

Did my great grandfather come here illegally? Was he posing as someone else? Was he running from something in Italy? Or is this just a common snafu of inaccurate/inconsistent records compounded by an oddly timed name change? Anyone else run up against something like this? I have found that "Ciancaglione" is a common surname in the province of Teramo, Italy, but all of the records there that I find for "Giovanni Ciancaglione" were births between 1815 and 1830-my great grandfather was supposedly born in 1888. He died in 1959, which would have made him 71-I suppose it's possible that he could have been born earlier than 1888, but not much earlier, and besides, why am I not finding any immigration records for him? I'd be grateful for any guidance or suggestions anyone can give.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Ciangaglione? Ciancaglione?

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Can you tell us his wifes name and the children where they settled so we can work our way back
Also possibility Cianfaglione

Is this them

John Ciangaglione, "United States Census, 1930"

Name: John Ciangaglione
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1930
Event Place: Trenton, Mercer, New Jersey, United States
District: 0057
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1889
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1906
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Sheet Number and Letter: 38A
Household ID: 595
Line Number: 14
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: T626
Affiliate Film Number: 1365
GS Film number: 2341100
Digital Folder Number: 004660918
Image Number: 00160
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head John Ciangaglione M 41 Italy
Wife Elena Ciangaglione F 32 Italy
Daughter Splendora Ciangaglione F 16 New Jersey
Son Domenick C Ciangaglione M 15 New Jersey
Daughter Edith I Ciangaglione F 13 New Jersey
Daughter Rose M Ciangaglione F 12 New Jersey
Daughter Anna Ciangaglione F 10 New Jersey
Son John A Ciangaglione M 9 New Jersey
Son Joseph Ciangaglione M 5 New Jersey

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Badfish740

Post by Badfish740 »

adelfio wrote:Welcome to IG website. Can you tell us his wifes name and the children where they settled so we can work our way back. Also possibility Cianfaglione. Is this them?
Thanks! Yes, that record is the person I am seeking more information about. The family members are correct as well. His wife was Elena Cellini-I was able to trace her family back to Teramo. They arrived in Trenton the late 1890s. The earliest records I can find for Giovanni Ciangaglione only go back to the 1910 census. I can find no record of his passage to the U.S. anywhere. Family lore says that he also came from Teramo as does his WWI Draft Registration record.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Looks like Elena maiden name was Cellini

Daughter Splendora Cagaglione in household of Louis Cellini, "United States Census, 1920"

Name: Splendora Cagaglione
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1920
Event Place: Trenton Ward 1, Mercer, New Jersey, United States
District: 50
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Can Read:
Can Write:
Relationship to Head of Household: Granddaughter
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Granddaughter
Own or Rent:
Birth Year (Estimated): 1914
Birthplace: New Jersey
Immigration Year:
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Sheet Number and Letter: 11B
Household ID: 244
Line Number: 61
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: T625
GS Film number: 1821053
Digital Folder Number: 004313354
Image Number: 01074
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Louis Cellini M 53 Italy
Wife Maria Cellini F 47 Italy
Daughter Elena Cagaglione F 22 Italy
Son-in-law John Cagaglione M 30 Italy
Daughter Mary Cellini F 19 New Jersey
Son Frank Cellini M 17 New Jersey
Son Joe Cellini M 14 New Jersey
Granddaughter Splendora Cagaglione F 6 New Jersey
Grandson Dominick Cagaglione M 5 New Jersey
Granddaughter Edith Cagaglione F 3 New Jersey
Granddaughter Rose Cagaglione F 1 New Jersey
Granddaughter Anna Cagaglione F 0 New Jersey
Cousin James Dominick

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Shipmanifest of Elena Cellini daughter of Luigi Cellini and Maria D`Avario Line #23 coming from Teramo,Teramo province I think they are from the city of Teramo

PG LINK
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0023

Marty

Marty
Badfish740

Post by Badfish740 »

Thank you-see my post above-I actually did find all of that (there is a delay in my posts, I guess because I am new). I was able to accomplish my goal of tracing ancestors back to their country/province of origin with the Cellinis quite easily, but the Ciangagliones are presenting much more of a challenge. If you can find a record of Giovanni Ciangaglione's journey across the Atlantic I would be very interested to see it!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

\Edited
I would go by his draft cards that say he was from Teramo send for his birth record
Comune di Castellalto
Via Madonna degli Angeli
64020 Castellalto TE
Italy

email:castellaltoservdem@virgilio.it

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di Giovanni Ciancaglione

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Castellalto. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di questa persona:
Nome e cognome:Giovanni Ciancaglione
Luogo di nascita:Castellalto
Data di nascita:1887-1890
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Badfish740 wrote:Thank you-see my post above-I actually did find all of that (there is a delay in my posts, I guess because I am new). I was able to accomplish my goal of tracing ancestors back to their country/province of origin with the Cellinis quite easily, but the Ciangagliones are presenting much more of a challenge. If you can find a record of Giovanni Ciangaglione's journey across the Atlantic I would be very interested to see it!
Have you seen this manifest?

The date of 1906 agrees with the US Census posted above, as does the year of birth.
He lists last place of residence as CASTELLALTO (which is a comune in Teramo)
He is going to a cousin, Marsileo Ciancaglione in Philadelphia

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Giovanni Cianeaglioni
Name: Giovanni Cianeaglioni (written as Ciancaglioni on the manifest)
Arrival Date: 30 Apr 1906
Birth Date: abt 1889
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Glasgow, Scotland
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Caledonia

Here is the Ancestry link...
He is on line 2, and there are others traveling from the same comune...
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... turnRecord

T.
Badfish740

Post by Badfish740 »

Marty-thanks so much-I sent that off to Teramo just now-I suspect that they will reply in Italian so I will need some translation help!

Tessa-thanks so much for finding that! I was using free resources (I haven't committed to a pay service yet-its hard to know what to choose) and could not find him. That has to be him! Interesting that he was going to a cousin in Philadelphia-I have found many Ciancagliones in the Southestern Pennsylvania area. Also, Luigi Cellini, his father-in-law also went to Philadelphia first. I would love to find out what brought them both to Trenton after that.

In any event I really appreciate it as this is the first line of the family that I have been able to definitively trace back to the home country. Unfortunately the Irish side of my family has been here much longer and is proving much harder to track!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to hear that it is him :-)

Do you need me to post the image of the manifest? Do you have a subscription to Ancestry? If not, try ellisisland.org again and search by ship :-)

There are VERY limited records online for Castellalto. You may have to write to the comune for a birth record... Let me know if you need the address.

Link to the Castellalto records on familysearch.org
https://familysearch.org/search/image/v ... %3D1947829

T.
Badfish740

Post by Badfish740 »

I haven't subscribed to a service yet but plan to soon. I'll try to get it via ellisisland.org first but if I can't I'll let you know. So I emailed Teramo using the language Marty provided above, but it sounds like I have to email Castellalto instead. Can I just use that same language and change the address? I don't know the language at all but can guess at what some of the words mean.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Badfish740 wrote:I haven't subscribed to a service yet but plan to soon. I'll try to get it via ellisisland.org first but if I can't I'll let you know. So I emailed Teramo using the language Marty provided above, but it sounds like I have to email Castellalto instead. Can I just use that same language and change the address? I don't know the language at all but can guess at what some of the words mean.
I would be happy to post it here for you...

As for the letter to Castellalto - you can use the same letter Marty posted.
Here is the address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Madonna degli Angeli, 21
64020 Castellalto (TE)
ITALY

Additional help with letters in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

Here is the manifest - Line 2
Click on the image once to enlarge and again to magnify

BTW - there is a naturalization notation appearing over his entry. Looks like a date of 1940, but not sure.

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

adelfio wrote:\Edited
I would go by his draft cards that say he was from Teramo send for his birth record

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Castellalto
Via Madonna degli Angeli,21
64020 Castellalto TE
Italy

email address:castellaltoservdem@virgilio.it

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di Giovanni Ciancaglione

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Castellalto. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di questa persona:
Nome e cognome:Giovanni Ciancaglione
Luogo di nascita:Castellalto
Data di nascita:1887-1890
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
I edited the info with Tessa info
PREGO!!

Marty