Silvestre Spoto General

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Silvestre Spoto General

Post by ray1955 »

Can someone translate the attached? I understand that it indicates his military information.

Thanks so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Silvestre Spoto General

Post by liviomoreno »

The image is quite blurred...
Silvestre (Should be Silvestro) born Nov 18 1893. Served in the army where he reached the grade of Maresciallo Maggiore (the highest degree before Officer) in Infantry, residing in Rome where on Sep 6 1929 he married Aspasia Cxxxxx from Vittoria . He died in Rome Sept 13 1963 aged 70.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I read wife's surname as "Ceramicola".
I also she think might not have been "di Vittoria = from Vittoria" but "di Vittorio = daughter of Vittorio".

Here is a link where you can search Silvestro's "virtual grave":

http://www.inmiamemoria.com/scatole_dei ... icerca.php

by writing "Spoto" in field "Cognome"
and "Silvestro" in "Nome".
This data were originally taken from an online service of AMA, the society that manages Rome cemeteries (that unfortunately seems to be no more available), so they should be real. The info that turns out by searching puts his death date to Sep 14th, 1968. About this, I must say that date in the database is usually burial date (that's what comes out of the search of some of my relatives), and that what I read "1963" in the document you posted might in reality be "1968" (image is quite blurred). On the other hand your document states he died at age 70, so the occurrence I found by searching might just be a coincidence (same name and "similar" death date).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I also was not sure about the death date 1963 vs 1968. I opted for the first because he was born in 1893 and if he died when he was 70, 1963 was more likely.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

But based on the writing you translated would you say this is the same Silvestre ?
Although a little disappointed as I was told he was a General. I have plans to try to get his military documents identifying any wars he served in a friend told me most likely he was in WW1 based on his age.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Silvestre in Italian does not exist. The name should be Silvestro.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

Livio I was referring to the date mostly as 1963 would make sense that he died vs the tombstone that says 1968…..is it feasible that the Nati for the birth date and it being written he was 70 and the date on tombstone is off by 5 years being the same person?

Thanks for the explanation on the name. I will fix that in my genealogy.