time of ship arrival

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

time of ship arrival

Post by roobyred »

Has anyone ever been able to determine what time a ship arrived/docked at Ellis Island? Wondering, if this is at all possible, how do I go about it?
Roberta
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: time of ship arrival

Post by erudita74 »

roobyred wrote:Has anyone ever been able to determine what time a ship arrived/docked at Ellis Island? Wondering, if this is at all possible, how do I go about it?
Roberta

Roberta
I haven't seen this info on any Ellis Island passenger list. I have though seen time mentioned on the records of detainees which may accompany these passenger lists, where a date and time of discharge is given.
Erudita
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Early morning would make sense. Everyone would be processed before the day ended and the docks cleared while there was still daylight..
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

Thank you both for your responses. Ironicly, mom passed Apr 23 in 2012 and arrived at Ellis Island Apr 23 1929. So you can see why I wanted to find out the ships arrival time if at all possible.
Thank you again! Roberta
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

roobyred wrote:Thank you both for your responses. Ironicly, mom passed Apr 23 in 2012 and arrived at Ellis Island Apr 23 1929. So you can see why I wanted to find out the ships arrival time if at all possible.
Thank you again! Roberta

Roberta
First of all, sorry about the loss of your mother.

Secondly, just to clarify, if your mom arrived in NY after 1924, as you state, she did not go to Ellis Island, unless she was being detained for some reason or ran the risk of being deported. The following is from the Ellis Island website:

1924 The Immigration Act of 1924 further restricted immigration, changing the quota basis from the census of 1910 to that of 1890, and reducing the annual quota to some 164,000. This marked the end of mass immigration to America. The Immigration Act also provided for the examination and qualification of immigrants at U.S. consulates overseas. The main function of Ellis Island changed from that of an immigrant processing station, to a center of the assembly, detention, and deportation of aliens who had entered the U.S. illegally or had violated the terms of admittance

Erudita
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

So if not Ellis Island, where? It was NY where she arrived. How can I find out?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

roobyred wrote:So if not Ellis Island, where? It was NY where she arrived. How can I find out?
Roberta

There were various piers in NYC, all part of the Port of NY, so her ship could have disembarked at any of these piers along the Hudson River, for example. There were piers along the East River as well. The problem is that the passenger lists just read "Port of New York," so there is no way of knowing the specific location of disembarkation.

Even when Ellis Island was used as a processing station for all immigrants coming to NY (where the grueling examinations took place) from 1892 to 1924, the immigrants' steamships did not disembark at Ellis Island. Some of the German vessels even used Hoboken, NJ as a place to disembark passengers. The passengers disembarked at one of the NYC piers and were then placed on ferries and taken over to Ellis Island for inspections, examinations, and processing. After 1924, however, the only passengers who were brought to Ellis Island via ferry for processing were those who were to be detained for whatever reason, or those who were likely to be deported from the U.S. The others were not placed on ferries to Ellis Island from the various piers throughout NYC. They simply disembarked off the ship at whatever pier they docked, as they had been processed before embarking the ship at the consulates abroad. They had already undergone inspections and examinations before boarding the ship and sailing.

Ellis Island did continue to operate as a processing facility until it was formally closed as such on Nov 12, 1954. Now the island is a national monument.

Erudita
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Worth a visit even if you didn't have ancestors coming through. If you go be sure to rent the audio tour.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Post by roobyred »

Thanks both for your replies.
Went to Ellis Island 2001 the weekend before 9/11 occurred. Didn't bring my camera because I wanted to take everything in.
Thanks again.
Roberta
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

roobyred wrote:Thanks both for your replies.
Went to Ellis Island 2001 the weekend before 9/11 occurred. Didn't bring my camera because I wanted to take everything in.
Thanks again.
Roberta
You're very welcome, Roberta. Sorry I couldn't give you the reply you were hoping for.
Erudita