A christmas sicily search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kodakidd

A christmas sicily search

Post by kodakidd »

Ciao a tutti! Hope you all had a Merry Christmas! I decided to check out the italian genealogy site and post a request from my new hardware.

I am looking for some kind of documents for my great great grandmother Rosa Piazza and my great great grandfather Giuseppe Canzoneri, not sure where exactly they're from but if where their children were born is any kind of indicator it should be the Bisacquino Sicily area

Rosa Piazza's death certificate say age was about 77 when she passed away which would place her birthday in the 1851 area, her fathers name is listed as Giuseppe Piazza.

Marriage to Giuseppe Canzoneri date is unknown, nor are his exact birth and death.

they had two known children, Mary Vita Canzoneri and Giuseppina Canzoneri, they and their daughters and their daughters husbands Salvatore Gannuscio and Joseph Greco all came to America believed to be around 1900, their grandchildren specified that they originally came to New York, but the quota was full so they had to enter through New Orleans, I have yet to find any kind of immigration document other than word of mouth so that would be something else that would be great to have.

Anything that can be dug up would be cool,
I am mainly looking for, birth/baptism record for Rosa Piazza, Giuseppe Canzoneri, or their daughters even.
Rosa Piazza and Giuseppe Canzoneri marriage document.
Rosa or Giuseppe immigration record.
or anything else I could add to my arsenal

they moved to Chicago after being in New Orleans for a while.

Hope all is well! - Cody
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: A christmas sicily search

Post by adelfio »

Heres the church marriage of Giuseppe Canzoneri and Rosa Piazza
1878 July 20th in the church of San Giovanni Battista,Bisacquino
Giuseppe Canzoneri son of Salvatore Canzoneri and Vita Antonia Vuvoli married Rosa Piazza daughter of Giuseppe Pizza and Giuseppa Vaccari

PG LINK TO RECORD BOTTOM RIGHT
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n724467862

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Record 250
1850 Sept 8th in the church of San Giovanni Battista,Bisacquino
Baptism of Giuseppe Canzoneri son of Salvatore Canzoneri and Vita Vuvoli

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :650769414

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

adelfio wrote:Record 250
1850 Sept 8th in the church of San Giovanni Battista,Bisacquino
Baptism of Giuseppe Canzoneri son of Salvatore Canzoneri and Vita Vuvoli

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :650769414

Marty
Giuseppe was born Sept 6th

I also believe that the mother is Vita Ruvoli
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

Thanks guys! I knew you would find something, I believe the Bisacquino Sicily area has been documented fairly well, but let me ask you guys a couple questions, to me on Giuseppes baptism record posted it looks like it says 10 Jan above his name, not september, September is for the guy above him, am I wrong here? also how do you guys go about searching this stuff, do you have to speak latin or go to a certain area of Family search, because I've tried to look myself but you guys always get something for me. With this info as conformation I believe I found his death record, although birth date is wrong
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Eodem from Latin, means the same" (place or time), used like "ditto" or "Do" in lists and registers.The question of the date
You have to know some Latin and Italian to translate earlier records of the church of San Giovanni Battista,Bisacquino are indexed by a page number and the first name in Latin like Josephus= Giuseppe then the later records go by the last name both are usually in the front of the years you are searching for Here is the link to records of the church of San Giovanni Battista,Bisacquino Italy, Palermo, Diocesi d...Church Records, 1531-1998

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D2046915

Baptism record of Giuseppa Canzoneri
Record #181
1882 May 3rd in the church of San Giovanni Battista,Bisacquino baptism of Giuseppa Canzoneri daughter of Giuseppe Canzoneri and Rosa Piazza

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :687636656

Marty

Marty
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

So for instance you said Giuseppe Canzoneri was the son of Salvatore Canzoneri and Vita Antonia Ruvoli, so I did a search, and found this in those same church records, it looks like their marriage record in the top right, does that look right to you? I have a hard time reading the cursive sometimes, what do do you think the parents names are? And it looks like it has her first name as something else, mariah maybe?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n182232697

Also one more example and question, I searched for a different set of grandparents in the same records because they were from the same area, there names were Vincenzo Gannuscio and Tommasa Gagliano, and when I searched I found this marriage record that looks really close, but it looks like the name is "Vincentius Cannuscio?" and "Thommasan Gagliano?" Do you think that sounds like a match? Is it normal for Latin to change the names a little bit?

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Vincentius= Vincenzo
Thommasan =Tommasa
That looks like right record

The first one I couldn't tell you for sure looks like Mariantonia

Latin names
http://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/latinnames.htm

Marty

Marty
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

Could you perhaps tell me what you think the parents names are for the above documents?

the first one I think I see josephi Canzoneri and Francisca Ciulla? and I cant make out the other parents

the second one I think I see Magdalena Orlando but I cant make out much else.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

kodakidd wrote:Could you perhaps tell me what you think the parents names are for the above documents?

the first one I think I see josephi Canzoneri and Francisca Ciulla? and I cant make out the other parents

the second one I think I see Magdalena Orlando but I cant make out much else.
Salvatore Canzoneri son of Giuseppe Canzoneri and Francesca Ciulla
Marianna Ruvoli daughter of Mariano Ruvoli and Filippa Marino

Vincenzo Gannuscio son of Andrea Gannuscio and Margerita Scalisi
Tommasa Gagliano daughter of Vincenzo Gagliano and Magdalena Orlando

Marty

Marty
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Post by ray1955 »

wowow wish my records went back that far……very cool.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

kodakidd wrote:So for instance you said Giuseppe Canzoneri was the son of Salvatore Canzoneri and Vita Antonia Ruvoli, so I did a search, and found this in those same church records, it looks like their marriage record in the top right, does that look right to you? I have a hard time reading the cursive sometimes, what do do you think the parents names are? And it looks like it has her first name as something else, mariah maybe?

Also one more example and question, I searched for a different set of grandparents in the same records because they were from the same area, there names were Vincenzo Gannuscio and Tommasa Gagliano, and when I searched I found this marriage record that looks really close, but it looks like the name is "Vincentius Cannuscio?" and "Thommasan Gagliano?" Do you think that sounds like a match? Is it normal for Latin to change the names a little bit?

The name in the record looks like Maria Anna
Latin names change a little bit depending on the case.
Vincentius, Thomasa are nominative
Vincentii, Thomasae are genitive
Vincentium, Thomasam are acccusative
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

So keeping that Latin in mind, they could essentially be mentioned using all forms of their name? You think that my document sounds correct then?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The record of 1850 Sept 28th Vincenzo Gannuscio son of Andrea Gannuscio and Margerita Scalisi married Tommasa Gagliano daughter of Vincenzo Gagliano and Magdalena Orlando is right yes
I don't know bout Maria Anna Ruvoli /Vita Ruvoli I would check for a Baptism record for Vita Ruvoli

Marty

Marty