Farruggia - Aragona

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
FFarruggia

Farruggia - Aragona

Post by FFarruggia »

Hello,

After digging through an enormous heap of images that the groups in Utah gathered, I am still at a loss when it comes to nailing down my ancestors in Aragona, Girgenti (Agrigenti), Sicily.

My grandfather was Girolamo Farruggia (born 1897, Married Gerlanda Farruggia born 1902) and his parents were Francesco Farruggia (died prior to 1920) and Carmela Cumpo. I believe that Francesco's father's name may have also been Girolamo (given the naming trends in Sicily at the time). Any information on the Cumpo family would be greatly appreciated as well. There are far fewer records of this surname and I think it may be the key to deciphering out the correct Farruggia line in Aragona.

Gerlanda's parent's names were Raimondo Farruggia and Theresa Graceffa. I have come up short on them as well.

Thank you,
Frank Farruggia
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Farruggia - Aragona

Post by Tessa78 »

FFarruggia wrote:Hello,

After digging through an enormous heap of images that the groups in Utah gathered, I am still at a loss when it comes to nailing down my ancestors in Aragona, Girgenti (Agrigenti), Sicily.

My grandfather was Girolamo Farruggia (born 1897, Married Gerlanda Farruggia born 1902) and his parents were Francesco Farruggia (died prior to 1920) and Carmela Cumpo. I believe that Francesco's father's name may have also been Girolamo (given the naming trends in Sicily at the time). Any information on the Cumpo family would be greatly appreciated as well. There are far fewer records of this surname and I think it may be the key to deciphering out the correct Farruggia line in Aragona.

Gerlanda's parent's names were Raimondo Farruggia and Theresa Graceffa. I have come up short on them as well.

Thank you,
Frank Farruggia
Hello Frank!

Looked for your Girolamo in 1897, but did not find a birth... however...
According to this birth record for a Girolamo Faruggia, born 28 Sept 1898 in Aragona (recorded on 2 October) - HIS parents were Raimondo Faruggia, son of deceased Girolamo; and his wife, Teresa Graceffa, daughter of deceased Rosario.

Link to record
#425 - bottom right on page
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :n97651321

EDIT TO ADD:
It appears the above Girolamo was the brother of Gerlanda :D
Here is her birth record from 1902...
Record #295
Born on 6 May 1902 to
Raimondo, son of Girolamo; and to his wife, Teresa Graceffa.

Top left of image...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :n97651321

ALSO... Found your Girolamo Faruggia in 1986 -
REcord #146
Born 29 February, and the birth was recorded on 2 March
Father: Francesco Faruggia, son of deceased Girolamo
Mother: Carmela Cumbo, daughter of Domenico

link - top left of image
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1353408164

T.
FFarruggia

Post by FFarruggia »

Tessa,
Thank you for your help. These records do seem to match them, and I have now another family member for Gerlanda who we didn't know about. The the Girolamo (1886) that you found is certainly my great grandfather. They had a house in the country which was called villa Farruggia by my grandmother. Thank you again for your help.

Sincerely,
Frank
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website Frank
Hi T nice finds! Happy New Year
Marriage of Francesco Faruggia and Carmela Cumbo
Index#52
1891 July 18th in the town of Aragona appeared Francesco Faruggia age 35 widower farmer born in Aragona son of deceased Girolamo Faruggia and deceased Carmela Buscemi married Carmela Cumbo age 17 seamstress born in Aragona daughter of Domenico Cumbo and Antonina Rizzo

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE

INDEX#68
1883 Oct 14th in the town of Aragona appeared Raimondo Faruggia age 23 born in Aragona son of deceased Girolamo Faruggia and deceased Carmela Buscemi married Maria Teresa Graceffa age 18 seamstress born in Aragona daughter of Rosario Graceffa and Constanza Gerlando

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

FRANK... just want to correct the birth year I posted for your Girolamo.. :D
Should read 1896, NOT 1986

Happy New Year, Marty! :-)

Nice teamwork!
Also confirms the surname as CUMBO

T.
FFarruggia

Post by FFarruggia »

Marty and Tessa,

Thank you for all of your help with these names and the documents that you were able to dig up. I spent many hours looking through those same sources but was not able to come up with these records. Do you have a trick for finding these kinds of documents? I am assuming that you are both using the resources on FamilySearch.com.

Now that I have two Girolamo Farruggia's born within 10 years of each other, that will make some things a bit more difficult on the US immigration side. I have pretty good records for Girolamo and Gerlanda, however now I have to be sure to keep Gerlanda's brother in mind.

I see that both of you have been working for some time on genealogy topics, assuming that has included a fair number of records for Italians, I had a couple of follow-up questions regarding these records.

It looks like Girolamo Farruggia (son of Francesco and Carmela) was born 5 years prior to the marriage between his parents, is that common in the late 1800s?

And Gerlanda, was born when her mother was 37, seems late for the time period.

Any of this cross either of you as odd?

Thank you again, and a very fruitful, fun-filled and loving 2014 to both of you.

Sincerely,
Frank
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

It looks like Girolamo Farruggia(1896) (son of Francesco and Carmela marriage 1891) was born 5 years prior to the marriage between his parents, is that common in the late 1800s? Tessa corrected the birth date

Here you go Frank
Birth of Carmela Farruggia
INDEX#136
1893 Feb 25th in the town of Aragona birth of Carmela Farruggia daughter of Francesco Farruggia age 40 middleclass and Carmela Cumbo

Gerlanda, was born when her mother was 37, seems late for the time period
Not really I seen woman older having babies

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Frank,

Not unusual... more common that you might think :-)
Sometimes couples were married in a church (religious) celebration, but not in a civil one. In those cases the civil authorities did not "recognize" them as married. However, I see on Girolamo's birth act that Carmela Cumbo is identified as "sua moglie" to Francesco...[his wife]

As to the age of mother... have seen some quite a bit older that 37 :shock:

FYI - the place (address) of birth on Girolamo (1886) birth is "Via Faruggia" :)

Best in 2014 to you, too!

T.