Need Help Trying To Locate Great Aunt

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Need Help Trying To Locate Great Aunt

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

I have been trying to trace my great grandfather's side from Pentone. Seems after he came to America, he left a sibling back in Italy (my great aunt) who married in 1906 -see marriage record below. Her name was Gregoria Fava, and she married a Vincenzo Citriniti. The FHL microfilm records for Pentone go up to 1910. I did a check from 1906 to 1910 for any possible children they may've had. I didn't see any records. I also checked Ellis Island records to see if they possibly immigrated over like my great grandfather. I didn't find anything. There is a Pentonesi Community on Facebook. I posted asking if anyone knew of either Vincenzo or Gregoria-possibly children or grandchildren. I got no responses back from anyone saying they knew of them. One individual who lives in Pentone said she would check with the local hall of vital records, but I haven't heard back. When my great aunt married in 1906 she was 21 years old. Assuming she lived on into her 60s or 70s, this would be around the 1940s/1950s or so. Someone had to know them like if they had any grandchildren. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1604973960
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Need Help Trying To Locate Great Aunt

Post by Bette »

In checking the Italian White Pages telephone directory, I see that there are six (6) Citriniti listed in Pentone and twenty (20) Fava's listed in Pentone (Catanzaro, Calabria). You could write a letter to a select few, giving as much information as possible, to see if they have some additional information for you or are willing to assist you.

www.paginebianche.it/index.html

It was interesting to read the marriage record, showing that Vincenzo was a widower at age 39 when he married Gregoria, a single woman, at age 21, and that Vincenzo's former wife was a Fava also.

Regards,
Bette
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Bette-Thanks for replying to me. Pentone has many with surnames Fava, Citriniti, Pugliese. Seems these surnames are a few of a handful which predominate the town. We plan to visit Pentone sometime later this year-'14, but I was hoping to connect with any possible distant, living relatives before our trip. I, too, noticed that "Vincenzo" was a widower, and his former wife was also a Fava. I wonder if somehow he remarried within the Fava family. His first wife was Rosa Fava, then he married my great aunt Gregoria Fava. I wonder if Rosa and Gregoria were related. Outside of Pentone, I understand that there is a very large Pentonesi community which settled in the Toronto-Canada area beginning after WWII. Another thought crossed my mind that it is very possible they may've immigrated not to the States like did my ggrandfather, but to Canada. This could be why no ship manifest found for Gregoria. If she lived to about 70 years old, this would be around 1955. I would think someone today from Pentone would've known Gregoria personally or that someone's parents would've known her. I have an active account on Ancestry.com; do you know if there is a link there for sailings to Canada? I understand that when looking up married women on the Ellis Island site, I must use the "maiden" name and not the "married" name. Is this correct?
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Happy ending and resolution.
After much persistence and diligence on my part, I was able to trace the grandchildren of my great aunt-Gregoria Fava. I had the wonderful opportunity of speaking to her grandson. Seems her eldest son made it to America in the 1920s, and he settled in the Pittsburgh -PA area. He married, and had children (one of which was this grandson whom I contacted) We had a wonderful chat. In regards to Gregoria- I was told by her grandson that she lived to a ripe old age in her 90s in Catanzaro close to her only daughter who married.