Help! Family research dead end - Torino / Genova

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
karentjieo

Help! Family research dead end - Torino / Genova

Post by karentjieo »

Help. I have been stuck in the same place with my Italian family research for years. I have a copies in my possession of my grandmother's birth certificate & marriage certificate - born in Torino in 1929, married in Genova in 1946 (the year before she emigrated). No birth place / birth date / occupation / any further clues are listed on these certificates for her parents, other than their names. I have her father's date of death - Torino, 1958. And that's all! No records for the relevant years & locations on familysearch.org or ancestry.com (and there is no family search research center in my country of residence). I would love to be able to extend our family tree a little further back. Or find out details about her brothers whom she used to correspond with, but sadly their names & letters were lost after her death. Or just learn anything new, basically! Her surname (Vatti) is very rare in Piemonte and more common in Tuscany which is potentially interesting. Is this just a dead end? Any advice on how to proceed?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help! Family research dead end - Torino / Genova

Post by Italysearcher »

If the records you have are 'certificates' you need to request a photocopy of the original document. This should provide parents names, town of origin etc. You will need to write to the town where the act took place enclosing an outline of how you are related and a copy of some photo ID. Email me at italysearch@gmail.com and I will send you a form you can fill in and send since you are within the 70 year privacy range for the death and marriage.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I found in this database http://intranet.istoreto.it/partigianato/ricerca.asp
abt the partisans in Piedmont region, 2 VATTI:

1. Ferio VATTI born on 4 aug 1901 in Montieri ( Grosseto province, Tuscany, IT) resident in Torino
2. Plinio VATTI born on 11 Mar 1898 in Montieri ( Grosseto province, Tuscany, IT) resident in Torino

I found also a Ivo Vatti decesead on 5 Feb 1958 in Torino
http://www.inmiamemoria.com/scatole_dei ... 812376.php
I know no if is your great grandfather, but maybe they was related and all coming from Montieri... just a suggestion,
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
karentjieo

Post by karentjieo »

Italyresearcher, the document is headed "CITTÀ' DI TORINO. CERTIFICAZIONE DEMOGRAFICHE. ESTRATTO PER RIASSUNTO DI ATTO DI NASCITA". Does this mean that this is not the full birth certificate? If yes, how do I go about obtaining more information without actually flying to Italy? This is our second copy of the birth certificate. The first one was requested by my grandmother in 1949. The second one was obtained by a lawyer on my behalf last year. Both contained exactly the same information & I was not aware of an option to obtain more details. Yes Suanj, I believe that to be my great grandfather's gravestone. Unfortunately it contains only his first name, surname, date of death and no further information. I don't know the names of any other Vatti relatives/ancestors so no idea if the Tuscans are related to me or not, hence my post. Any advice appreciated :)
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

You have to write to the town asking for a 'copia integrale - fotocopia' and enclose some photo ID and a description of how you are related.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Just to make things clearer...
That is NOT your ggf's gravestone...it is just a virtual gravestone generated with the data about about your ggf, that were downloaded from a site of the Commune of Torino that gives info about burials:

http://www.comune.torino.it/servizionli ... i/user.php

People with surname Vatti who turn out to be buried in Torino:
VATTI FERIO - 16/04/1980 MONUMENTALE
VATTI GIULIA 23/01/1883 25/12/1974 MONUMENTALE
VATTI ITALO GIUSEPPE 02/01/1931 07/04/1996 MONUMENTALE
VATTI IVO - 05/02/1958 MONUMENTALE
VATTI LEDA - 23/02/1987 MONUMENTALE
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.