Simonelli in Rhode Island

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Simonelli in Rhode Island

Post by Amansolillo »

My great-great-grandfather was Serafino Simonelli, who immigrated to Rhode Island from Pontecorvo. His wife was Teresa Bevilacqua. Serafino died in 1917 and Teresa died in 1924. Their death records are indexed on Ancestry (images of the records themselves are not provided). In their death records, an Addolorata Simonelli is listed as being kin. To my knowledge, Addolorata must have been a family member in order to have been mentioned as kin (and considering she had the last name Simonelli). However, I am currently unable to find any connection. I later found that Addolorata was listed as being kin in several other death records of Simonellis, none of which I had prior knowledge of. She was mentioned on the death certificates of two different Maria Simonellis. One died in 1930 and was married to a Domenico Simonelli, the other died in 1921 and was married to a Giovanni Simonelli. I later found that Addolorata herself was married to Ernesto Simonelli, son of Francesco Simonelli. Considering the connection through Addolorata, Domenico, Giovanni, and Francesco Simonelli must be related to Serafino. To my knowledge, Serafino had a brother named Giovanni who lived in Pontecorvo as of 1909. It could be possible that the two Giovannis could be the same. I would appreciate any help in linking Domenico, Giovanni, and Francesco to Serafino. Thanks
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Simonelli in Rhode Island

Post by Amansolillo »

Bump
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

First of all, is this the right family?

Ernesto Simonelli Capo
United States Census, 1940
nascita: 1895 Italy
residenza: 1940 Ward 5, Providence, Providence City, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
coniuge: Dora Simonelli
figli: Francisco Simonelli, Antonio Simonelli, Joseph Simonelli, Mary Simonelli, Larry Simonelli

If this is him, Addolorata "Dora"'s surname might be Contillo or Contelli, as I found on some death records for their children
According to an Ellis island Manifest, an Ernesto Simonelli travelled in 1914 to USA; he was a non immigrant alien, and left father Francesco in Mondragone; a Bernardo Simonelli travelled with him, he was from Arce and left his father (another Francesco) in Arce. Unless there was a mistake there are two different Francesco's.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Amansolillo »

Yes, that is the right family. Bernardo and Ernesto were brothers. They also had a brother Augusto who also lived in Rhode Island. Where does it say that one of the Francescos came from Mondragone?

Currently, I think that Francesco (father of Bernardo, Ernesto, and Augusto) and Domenico (from my previous post) may have been the brothers of Serafino Simonelli and Giovanni (also from my previous post) was the brother of Serafino's father Fabiano. Considering their ages and Addolorata being connected to each of them, that would be a logical assumption. However, Francesco being from Arce or Mandragone puts this theory into question, as Serafino came from Pontecorvo. I can't seem to find the ship manifests for Domenico, Giovanni, or Serafino. Could you possibly find them?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Here is the manifest:

on line 10 (Bernardo) it states "father Francesco Arce", and on line 11 (Ernesto) "father Francesco Mondragone"; then, on following column, it also states "see no. 11" "see no.10". May be it means info about the two was interchanged? On following page, line 10 states he was going to join brother Augusto, line 11 uncle Colantonio Francesco. So, I think that, if Augusto was brother of both, they both would have gone to him.

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Here is Serafino's ship manifest

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1684478708

confirming he was from Pontecorvo.