A town named "Archatura"

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
palermo2012

A town named "Archatura"

Post by palermo2012 »

I've been trying to find out more about where my Great grandfather came from. The only document I have with a town is his WW1 discharge papers and they say he came from "Archatura." I've searched online for it an can't find one thing. I know he was definatly from the south. Either Sicily, Calabria,, or Campania. Anyone have any clues?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: A town named "Archatura"

Post by Italysearcher »

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/province.html
This site has an alphabetical listing of Italian towns by Province. You will need to check all the provinces in Calabria and SIcily but you might be able to identify it.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

palermo2012 wrote:I've been trying to find out more about where my Great grandfather came from. The only document I have with a town is his WW1 discharge papers and they say he came from "Archatura." I've searched online for it an can't find one thing. I know he was definatly from the south. Either Sicily, Calabria,, or Campania. Anyone have any clues?

Possibly the town of Accettura in Matera Province, which would be in southern Italy. What was your grandfather's name, as his surname may be clue to the town from which he came? Also have you located him on a passenger list, as the town name may be on that document? If you have his WWI draft registration card, you may want to upload a copy of that to the forum as well for the volunteers here to see.

Erudita
palermo2012

Post by palermo2012 »

His name was Francesco Garofalo and he was born approx. 1891. I have found a Francesco Garofalo from Accettura on a passenger list but the birth year doesn't match at all.
palermo2012

Post by palermo2012 »

Possibly the town of Accettura in Matera Province, which would be in southern Italy. What was your grandfather's name, as his surname may be clue to the town from which he came? Also have you located him on a passenger list, as the town name may be on that document? If you have his WWI draft registration card, you may want to upload a copy of that to the forum as well for the volunteers here to see.
His name was Francesco "Frank" Garofalo and he was born approx. 1891. I was able to find someone with this name on a passenger list from Accettura but the age was off by over 10 years so it couldn't have been him, I think?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Where did he settle in the US and his wifes name lets work are way back to find the information you seek

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
palermo2012

Post by palermo2012 »

adelfio wrote:Where did he settle in the US and his wifes name lets work are way back to find the information you seek

Marty
Okay he settled in Philadelphia sometime between 1900-1917 I believe. His wifes name was Theresa but I'm not sure of her last name. She was an Irish immigrant. I'm sorry that I don't have much info as my grandparents had rough and poor childhoods.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Is this the right 1930 Census
Frank Garofalo, "United States Census, 1930"
Name: Frank Garofalo
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1930
Event Place: Chester, Burlington, New Jersey, United States
District: 0024
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1902
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Sheet Number and Letter: 2A
Household ID: 34
Line Number: 41
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: T626
Affiliate Film Number: 1318
GS Film number: 2341053
Digital Folder Number: 004662322
Image Number: 00143
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Frank Garofalo M 40 Italy
Wife Theresa V Garofalo F 46 Pennsylvania
Son Frank Garofalo M 6 Pennsylvania
Son John Garofalo M 3 Pennsylvania

Theresa Ryan, "Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Marriage Indexes, 1885-1951"
Name: Garofalo
Spouse's Name: Theresa Ryan
Event Year: 1921
License Number: 444490
Image Number: 00270
Digital Folder Number: 4141818

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
palermo2012

Post by palermo2012 »

Yup that is him. My Grandfather is John. I went back to the Ellis Island site to search again now that I know what year he immigrated but I still didn't see him. So either he didn't come through Ellis Island(doubtful) or their online records aren't complete?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Looking for a shipmanifest for around 1902 found this one still looking can you post the discharge
Boston, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1954
about Francesco Garofalo
Name:Francesco Garofalo
Ethnic Background:Italian (South) (Italian)
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1888
Port of Departure:Naples, Italy
Ship Name:Vancouver
Arrival Date:30 May 1903
Port of Arrival:Boston, Massachusetts
Going to see brother Pasquale Garofalo
Coming from Pietradefusi a comune in the province of Avellino, Campania, Italy

Marty

Marty
palermo2012

Post by palermo2012 »

Frank Garofalo #1,748,355
Private, Comapny C. 1st Dev. Battalion, 152 Depot Brigade
Camp Upton New York
Discharged 23rd August 1918
"Said Frank Garofalo was born in Archatura, in the state of Italy, When enlisted he was 28 10/12 years of age. By occupation a bootblack. He had black eyes, black hair, dark complextion."
Name: Frank Garofalo
Grade: Private
Inducted: April 25, 1918 at Cape May, NJ.

If theres any way I could post a scan of it I can.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Lets see if this will get any results by email
e-mail: aldo.nota@comune.accettura.mt.it
Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Accettura

OGGETTO: richiesta foto copia integrale dell'atto di nascita o l’estratto completo dell’atto di nascita di Francesco Garofalo

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Accettura. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per atti di nascita di queste persone:
Nome e cognome :Francesco Garofalo
Luogo di nascita:Accettura
Data di nascita: 1888-1892
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty

Marty
palermo2012

Post by palermo2012 »

Thanks. I also used the same email as a template for the other birth certificates I'm looking for.