DiNunzio / DeNunzio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kalabu

DiNunzio / DeNunzio

Post by kalabu »

Just found this forum and I'm thrilled! Hoping I can get some information regarding my great-grandparents, Victor Vito DiNunzio and Theresa Minella DiNunzio. Later the spelling was changed to De instead of Di but his immigration papers state it as Di. I have found his citizenship papers online and they say he immigrated to the U.S. in 1906 through Boston on the SS Canopic. I would love to find him and/or her on a manifest. He was born in Naples in 1864 according to this paper.

Thanks so much for any help or any idea where to go. Our research has ended with him so would love to find more.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: DiNunzio / DeNunzio

Post by adelfio »

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 forVito Di Nunzio looks he was born in Frosolone is a comune in the Province of Isernia 1864 June 18th

CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
kalabu

Post by kalabu »

Yes, Marty, that is the document I already found which told me the ship he came on. What I am trying to find out is any ancestry beyond him ... mother, father, etc. Or a copy of the manifest showing that he was on that ship. I don't know how to access the Frosolone records but if you know how I can do that, I would appreciate the help. Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Family History Library films of Registri dello stato civile di Frosolone (Campobasso), 1809-1899 that you can rent and view at your local Family History Library

PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Was trying to locate the arrival manifest for your Victor/VITO Di Nunzio in 1906.

Came across this POSSIBLE arrival in 1898 to New York :?:
Could this be your Vito? Lists his occupation as a shoemaker.

Vito Dinunzio, "United States Italians to America Index, 1855-1900"
Name: Vito Dinunzio
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 03 Jul 1898
Event Place: New York, New York, New York, United States
Birthplace: Italy
Ship Name: Kaiser Wilhelm Ii
Birth Year (Estimated): 1864
Departure Port: Genoa
Literacy: Read & Write
Residence Place: Frosolone
Destination Place: PROVVIDENCE
Transit or Travel Compartment: Staying in the USA [Transit]; Steerage [Travel]
Affiliate Manifest ID: 00083088
Affiliate Publication Title: Italians to America Passenger Data File, 1855-1900
Affiliate ARC Identifier: 1746097

Found the manifest for the listing above... Vito's surname was transcribed as "Di Vunzio"
Arrival in NY in 1898
Age is 34, married, shoemaker.
Destination is Providence to brother, Francesco at 54 Spruce St.
Appears to be traveling with sister, Immacolata, and brothers, Vincenzo and Giovanni (also a shoemaker), and sister-in-law Emilia

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 0234344864&

ALSO... located his 1906 arrival in Boston :-D
On SS Canopic, going to Providence to his brother in law, Gennaro Rossela(?)
From Frosolone, occupation is shoemaker
About line 20 (there are no line numbers on this manifest)
link in Ancestry.com
http://interactive.ancestry.com/8745/MA ... _95-0655_2

T.
kalabu

Post by kalabu »

The one in 1906 is definitely him as I have found his citizenship request and this is the date he claims to have arrived in Boston on the Canopic. Interesting that it says he is shoemaker and that the others are also ... I don't believe they were wealthy, but was it commonplace for people to travel back and forth, perhaps settling in? If I could connect him for certain to the 1898 arrival in New York, this would be great because I could research some of the others. My father seems to recall that his great grandfather spent time in Rhode Island, so if Providence is the Providence in RI, then that could be a hit.
kalabu

Post by kalabu »

And thank you for the Canopic manifest from ancestry ... I belong but had not come across that. Good sleuthing!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

kalabu wrote:And thank you for the Canopic manifest from ancestry ... I belong but had not come across that. Good sleuthing!
I went page by page on the Boston arrivals for the year 1906 :-)
A tedious task, but it paid off!

As for the manifest for 1898, the destination was also Providence.
If he was still in US in 1900, he may be on a Census in Providence. You might want to search for a brother, Francesco, in Providence in 1900.

It was not uncommon for an immigrant to use the last arrival as his basis for naturalization application. I have come across many who traveled back and forth, as you say, and then used the last arrival for documentation :-)

EDITED TO ADD:

Here is a 1900 US Census for Providence, on Spruce St. (street mentioned on 1898 manifest)
It doesn't give you that confirmation yet, but it does have the "sister" of the Vito Di Nunzio on the manifest... She is living with the family of Rocco Colarusso, and is identified as "S-in-law" [sister in law?]
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7602/00 ... turnRecord
Now to find Francesco :-)

Located Francesco/FRANK Di Nunzio on Spruce St. in Providence in the 1925 Rhode Island Census... but still not able to "connect" them...
An interesting observation... The last family on the page prior and finishing at the top of the page listing the Di Nunzio family, is the Minello family - also on Spruce St.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/4721/41 ... turnRecord

T.
kalabu

Post by kalabu »

Thank you so muchTessa .. I can't believe how much info you have given me. I will start pursuing this angle ... I am sure that the Minello family has to be the brother of my great-grandma Theresa ...hopefully this will lead me to parents and then we can go from there. You folks are the best!!!!