Schiano di Cola

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carmelab

Schiano di Cola

Post by carmelab »

My father is from Monte di Procida. This was his name when he arrived in the US back in the 20's or early 30's. I've run into a few Schianodicola's in West Virginia and on the east coast, but I'm not sure if we're related or not. How can I find that out?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Schiano di Cola

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome...

If you provide us with additional information, maybe we can help you in your search for a possible connections.

First name, and approx. date of birth of your father.
Where he settled in USA, and names of other family members (wife, children)

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are numerous public trees on ancestry.com that have information on Schiano di Cola's from Monte di Procida

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
carmelab

Post by carmelab »

His name was Armando Schiano di Cola, born August 27 1916
He arrived in Brooklyn NY illegally, was naturalized sometime in the early 1940's, I think my sister has his naturalization papers but I'm not sure.
He married Catella Messina on April 12 1942 in Brooklyn NY (Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church)
They lived on President Street, emigrated to California in 1948. He had 2 children in NY--Giosue (Joseph) in 1943, and Lucia (Lucy) in 1945. I was born in California in 1955.
His father was Giosue Schiano di Cola, his mother Assunta Illiano.
That's about all I know.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

carmelab wrote:His name was Armando Schiano di Cola, born August 27 1916
He arrived in Brooklyn NY illegally, was naturalized sometime in the early 1940's, I think my sister has his naturalization papers but I'm not sure.
He married Catella Messina on April 12 1942 in Brooklyn NY (Mary Star of the Sea Catholic Church)
They lived on President Street, emigrated to California in 1948. He had 2 children in NY--Giosue (Joseph) in 1943, and Lucia (Lucy) in 1945. I was born in California in 1955.
His father was Giosue Schiano di Cola, his mother Assunta Illiano.
That's about all I know.
Marriage record of Giosuè Schiano di Cola and Assunta Illiano in 1911

Record #36
Dated 28 October 1911 at 11:50 Am at the town office in Monte di Procida, open to the public.
Before the official, Michele Scotto di Santolo, Counselor, acting for the Mayor, official of the vital records, dressed in official form, appeared personally:
1 – Giosuè, Schiano di Cola, widower of Teresangela Schiano di Visconte, a 44 year old mariner/sailor born in Monte di Procida, residing in said Monte; son of Vincenzo, residing in said Monte; and of Filomena Schiano Moriello, residing in said Monte;
2 – Assunta Illiano, widow of Angelo Costigliola, a 35 year old housewife born in Monte di Procida, residing in said Monte; daughter of deceased Carmine, resident in life in said Monte, and of Carmela Di Meo, residing in said Monte, to request to be unitd in marriage…

Witnesses to the record: Tommaso Schiano Lomoriello, 28, farmer; and Giuseppe Schiano di Pepe, 35, landowner; both residing in this town.

Documents presented:
Certificate of publication of the banns in this town on 2 Sundays, 15 and 22 October current, without opposition.

right side image
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1630549337

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Great work T!!!! Heres a little more info
Giosue Schiano di Cola first marriage
INDEX#35
1895 Dec 16th in the town of Monte di Procida appeared Giosuè, Schiano di Cola age 28 sailor born in Monte di Procida, son of Vincenzo Schiano di Cola and of Filomena Schiano Moriello, married Teresangela Schiano di Visconte age 23 daughter of Domenico Schiano Moriello and Caterina Schiano Moriello

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 2044743467

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

[quote="carmelab"] My father is from Monte di Procida. This was his name when he arrived in the US back in the 20's or early 30's. I've run into a few Schianodicola's in West Virginia and on the east coast, but I'm not sure if we're related or not. How can I find that out?/[quote]

Hi Marty! :-D

With the ancestors we have found, the poster should be able to see a possible relationship to the other families, but will probably need to call them and inquire about THEIR ancestors :lol:

Here is the birth record for Giosue Schiano in 1867...
Father Vincenzo is age 30 and the son of deceased FRANCESCO
Notation of marriage with Teresangela is in the column on page 1
Notation of marriage with Assunta is in the column on page 2 (left side)
Bottom right - #102
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1101417537
Top left -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1101417537

T.
macaroni

Post by macaroni »

Carmela!
Hi, this is Maria Schiano diCola!
I came across your article on your father Armando and thought I’d reach out to you here! My father Carmine, your fathers brother! I’d love to get in touch with you. If you want, send me a reply directly to my username. macaroni, and I should get it then respond. Take care, Maria
Mikpug

Post by Mikpug »

My mothers maiden name is Raffiella Schiano di Cola from Monte di Procida. born 1935.
mikpug@aol.com