Help finding Dolce birth records from Accettura

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jkwaszak

Help finding Dolce birth records from Accettura

Post by jkwaszak »

Through assistance on this web site I have discovered Francesco Dolce, who traveled to New Jersey, United States in Nov 1906, was from Accettura. I know he had a sister Serafina, and at least two brothers Rocco and Michael, also from Accettura.

Francesco Dolce, b. 10 August 1884
Serafina Dolce (married Nicola D'Alaimo ?), b. about 1877
Rocco Dolce, b. 15 April, 1888
Michael Dolce, b. ?

I am trying to find out how to get birth records and information in an effort to try to find more info about them, and work my way back to their parents and farther.

I am grateful for any assistance or suggestions anyone can provide.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help finding Dolce birth records from Accettura

Post by Italysearcher »

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
you can find these records on line here.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Unfortunately, records for the years you need are not online. Also, the town's records pre 1900 on microfilm are organized by marriage processetti only, so if you find a marriage for an ancestor, you may get extracts of the bride and groom's birth records, death records for previous spouses, and possibly death records for their parents and grandparents. If you know the exact date of birth for an ancestor, to get his/her birth record, you need to order Matera Province microfilm which has different Matera province towns on it in alpahabetical order. But you have to either know the year of birth exactly or be within a year of the date, as you will only get one or two years of a particular type of record on a roll of microfilm. The research therefore can be very time consuming and extremely costly to do.

Here's a listing of the town's microfilm

Pubblicazioni 1810-1813, 1822-1846 FHL INTL Film
1693335 Items 5-6
Pubblicazioni 1847-1900 -- Processetti 1829-1831 FHL INTL Film
Processetti 1831-1840 FHL INTL Film
Processetti 1840-1847 FHL INTL Film
Processetti 1847-1852 FHL INTL Film
Processetti 1852-1858 FHL INTL Film
Processetti 1858-1863 FHL INTL Film
Processetti 1863-1885 FHL INTL Film
Processetti 1885-1899 -- Atti diversi 1822-1865, 1868, 1893, 1895 FHL INTL Film
1693400 Items 1-6
Morti, nati, matrimoni, pubblicazioni 1901-1910 -- Allegati 1901-1906 FHL INTL Film
Allegati 1907-1910 FHL INTL Film
2095637 Items 1 - 3
Morti 1911-1929 VAULT INTL Film
Nati 1911-1929 -- Matrimoni 1911-1929 -- Pubblicazioni di matrimoni 1911-1918, 1920-1929 VAULT INTL Film
Allegati di matrimoni 1911-1914, 1926-1927 VAULT INTL Film
Allegati di matrimoni 1927 (cont.)-1929

For the province of Matera microfilm which has the town of Accettura on it:

https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fh ... +Matera+%2 &columns=*,0,0

Registri dello stato civile di Matera (Provincia), 1809-1925
Authors Matera (Italia). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)

Erudita
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Thanks Erudita, the page is very misleading, you have to follow all the links to see that the only records they have on line are from 1900 +.
I suppose I should have taken a clue from the fact the records on line are listed as from the Tribunale and not the State Archives.
Can't you tell I don't do many 'film' or 'on line' searches:-)
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Italysearcher wrote:Thanks Erudita, the page is very misleading, you have to follow all the links to see that the only records they have on line are from 1900 +.
I suppose I should have taken a clue from the fact the records on line are listed as from the Tribunale and not the State Archives.
Can't you tell I don't do many 'film' or 'on line' searches:-)
Ann,
I only knew because, back in the early 1990s, I was looking for an 1895 birth record for my one grandmother from the town of Stigliano in Matera Province. So I rented that town's microfilms, only to find that they were primarily Processetti, and the 1895 births were not there. I had pretty much just started my Italian research, and was so upset, that I ended up quitting the research for months. Then I discovered the Matera Province microfilms-all 220 rolls of them. So I chose which of those to do, as I certainly could never do all 220 of them because of the expense and time involved. What was discouraging was that, even though a film indicated that a town was on it for a particular year and particular type of record, sometimes the records for that town, for the year in question, were missing from the film, and you had no way to know this until you rented the roll and looked through it. I did end up doing a lot of those films at a later time though, but I only looked at the records on the films for the town of Stigliano.
Erudita
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

jkwaszak,

I've been researching Accettura records for several years and collaborating with a couple of other people on this list. I may be able to help you. More soon, after I check my records.

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Through assistance on this web site I have discovered Francesco Dolce, who traveled to New Jersey, United States in Nov 1906, was from Accettura. I know he had a sister Serafina, and at least two brothers Rocco and Michael, also from Accettura.

Michael Dolce, b. ?

I am trying to find out how to get birth records and information in an effort to try to find more info about them, and work my way back to their parents and farther.
I searched images I have of the Indici Decennali for births from Accettura and found these:
Dolce_Births_fr_Accettura_IndiciDecennali1876-85.jpg
Dolce_Births_fr_Accettura_IndiciDecennali1886-95.jpg
In the first image (from FHL film #1660159), the Dolce births are at the upper left followed by the year and record number. You should read the images yourself, but I transcribe them as follows:

Dolce Filomena Serafina 1877 #76
Dolce Filomena Serafina 1880 #80
Dolce Francesca 1883 #48
Dolce Francesca 1884 #122

In the second image, the Dolce births are near the bottom of the left column. (I believe these are from film #1692753, and the FHL catalogue listing for the film is incorrect.) I transcribe these as follows:

Dolce Michele 1890 #89
Dolce Anna Rosa 1893 #93
Dolce Rocco 1894 #11 Part 2 (Part 2 may have births in the U.S. reported in Accettura.)

I don't have any images of these particular records, so you will have to identify which microfilms you need from the FHL catalogue and either order the microfilms and review them at your local Family History Center or see if you can get copies of the record images through FamilySearch Photoduplication Services at this link: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... n_Services(Read the instructions and then click on the green button to fill out the order form.)

Alternatively, you can order copies of the records from the records office (Ufficio Anagrafe) in Accettura by emailing a request in Italian to: sindaco@comune.accettura.mt.it

The fellow there usually responds within 10 days or so. He will email estratti if that's what you request or will mail photocopies of records.

You will find the list of provincial (Matera) microfilms with BMD records here: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
As an example, for the 1890 birth record, you will need this film:

Nati 1888, Stigliano - Tursi Nati 1889 Accettura - Tursi Nati 1890 Accettura - Aliano (Film #1660064 )

If you progress from here to search for earlier records, I may be able to help.

Good luck with your research. Keep us posted!

Lesley
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Michael Dolce, b. ?
As you can see, I didn't find a Francesco listed in 1884, but there was a Francesca. This could be a clerical error. The repeated names may reflect births of related family members such as cousins or the death of a child born earlier and a subsequent child given the same name.

The only Rocco Dolce listed in these Indici Decennali was born in 1894, not 1888.

I have additional information on Dolce family members in Accettura that I can send you. If you are interested, send me a private message with your email address.

Lesley
ddolce831

Post by ddolce831 »

I am so happy I ran across this forum while trying to find information on my husbands grandfather Rocco Dolce. I am pretty sure the Rocco you speak of is in fact his grandfather.

We do not know really much about his grandfather but always wanted to know if he had family he left behind or lost contact with once they arrived to America the first time he came to the United States.

Rocco did have one son Vincent much later in life in America.

I believe the dob of 4/15/1888 is an incorrect error. Lesley is closer. By my findings Rocco was actually born 1896 in Accettura, Italy.

The stories I have been told of Grandpa Rocco is he came over the first time with a family member and then went back to Italy at some point after 1931 to come back and going through Ellis Island a second time in 1932. (Always thought that was unique because to experience coming to America and going through Ellis Island once is normally enough but apparently not for Grandpa.)

If you could please contact me at ddolce831@gmail.com (Put in the subject line "Dolce's from Accettura"so I know it is not junk mail, Thank you.) I would be eternally grateful. I would love to receive as much information as I can on this side for not only my child, husband but for my Father In Law who longs to know any family his father may have. Thank you.