Antonio di Stefano of Lipari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
trevisan2
Master
Master

Antonio di Stefano of Lipari

Post by trevisan2 »

I am helping a friend from Argentina that has ancestry coming from Lipari, Messina area.
Her great grandparents came from Lipari and she would like to know the exact dates they were born and who the ancestors might be.

Here is what she knows:
Antonio di Stefano
b. about 1846 Lipari

married to

Josefa Randa or Rando
b. about 1849
Liperi,

Their children some were born in Italy
Bartolome di Stefano b. 1879 in Liperi
Cayetano di Stefano b. 1881 in Liperi

Vicente di Stefano b. 24 Dec 1882 where?
Antonio di Stefano 3 Aug 1885 Buenos Aires,Distrito Federal,Argentina
Angelo di Stefano 21 Nov 1888 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Jose di Stefano 18 March 1891 Buenos Aires, Argentina

Any information would be greatly appreciated by my friend.

Regards,
Trevisan2

Antonio di Stefano born 3 Aug 1885 in Argentina
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Antonio di Stefano of Lipari

Post by Tessa78 »

trevisan2 wrote:I am helping a friend from Argentina that has ancestry coming from Lipari, Messina area.
Her great grandparents came from Lipari and she would like to know the exact dates they were born and who the ancestors might be.

Here is what she knows:
Antonio di Stefano
b. about 1846 Lipari

married to

Josefa Randa or Rando
b. about 1849
Liperi,

Their children some were born in Italy
Bartolome di Stefano b. 1879 in Liperi
Cayetano di Stefano b. 1881 in Liperi

Vicente di Stefano b. 24 Dec 1882 where?
Antonio di Stefano 3 Aug 1885 Buenos Aires,Distrito Federal,Argentina
Angelo di Stefano 21 Nov 1888 Buenos Aires, Argentina
Jose di Stefano 18 March 1891 Buenos Aires, Argentina

Any information would be greatly appreciated by my friend.

Regards,
Trevisan2

Antonio di Stefano born 3 Aug 1885 in Argentina
From this baptism for Antonio (1885) in Argentina, it appears that his father, Antonio, was a mariner and born in "Salina, Province of Messina", and his mother, Josefa Rando, was born in "Lipari" :-)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1974184

Here also is the baptism of Angelo in 1888. Only identifies father's origins as Italy.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1974184

EDIT TO ADD:
I believe I have located the birth record of Antonio di Stefano in 1847 :-)
Record #3
Dated 14 January 1847 at 4 PM - appearing before the official of the vital records of the Island of Salina, Contrada Santa Marina, Province of Messina, was
Gaetano di Stefano, 43, farmer residing in Santa Marina, to declare that an infant was born to Maria Natoli, his legitimate wife, age 37, residing with him. The child was born on the 14th of the current month at 7 AM, at home. He was given the name ANTONINO.
Baptism occurred the same day.
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

That is really outstanding find!!

I looked at the Josefa Randa's birth location from the Argentine birth record of her son and it says Lipari. Is that referring to the Island or a town, where as the husband comes from Salina Contrada Santa Marina, Messina the same as Lipari.

My friend will want to have someone perform some research. Are there parish records that can be researched.

Thanks Again ,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

trevisan2 wrote:That is really outstanding find!!

I looked at the Josefa Randa's birth location from the Argentine birth record of her son and it says Lipari. Is that referring to the Island or a town, where as the husband comes from Salina Contrada Santa Marina, Messina the same as Lipari.

My friend will want to have someone perform some research. Are there parish records that can be researched.

Thanks Again ,
Trevisan2
Salina is another of the Aeolian Islands, separate from Lipari. Santa Marina is one of the three main comuni on the "Isola Salina" :-)
Here is a link to the Comune.
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/083/087/index.html

I have been searching Lipari records and only found one birth within the 1845-1850 years that COULD be your Josefa Rando... It is for a Giuseppa Rando, born in 1849. The record definitely looks like a Giuseppa - however, the clerk filled in the gender of the infant as "maschio" :?
Here is the record. Maybe it will turn out to be the correct one.

Record #69
Dated 10 May 1849
Birth on 9 May 1849 to Gaetano Rando, 36, farmer; and his wife Rosaria Palomara, 28.
Baptism on the same day (right column) at the "Parroco di questo Cattedrale" - the local church?
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Churches in the area of Lipari
http://www.paginebianche.it/page?btt=1& ... ipari&ind=

Churches in area of Santa Marina Salina
http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... a+%28ME%29

T.
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

I would agree with you that Josefa is really Giuseppa and somehow down in Argentina they started spelling it with a J just like Jose.

Trevisan2

chelidistefano

Post by chelidistefano »

Thank you for all your help. I am trying to locate a marriage certificate for Antonio or Antonino Di Stefano (born in 1847) from Lipari and Giuseppa Rando (born in 1849). Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

chelidistefano wrote:Thank you for all your help. I am trying to locate a marriage certificate for Antonio or Antonino Di Stefano (born in 1847) from Lipari and Giuseppa Rando (born in 1849). Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Generally, the marriage took place in the home comune of the bride, in this case Lipari.
I checked the civil marriage records from 1867 through 1874 in Lipari, but did not find.
The records for years 1866 and 1868 are missing, so there is a possibility they married in one of those two years :-(

T.