Help Please - Carnevale - Barile, Potenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brady-gordon

Help Please - Carnevale - Barile, Potenza

Post by brady-gordon »

Hi everyone,

I am new to genealogy and have been using ancestry.com for the last couple of months. I would like to research the surname "Carnevale" from Barile. I have able to trace back to my GG GF below but now I am stuck at a dead end. I am hoping someone can find information on how to extend this surname further or may have contact information for Barile vital records. Please feel free to do the research yourself too

Rafaelle (Ralph) Carnevale
Birth: abt. 1858 in Barile, Italy
Wife: Grazia Soda b. abt.1856 in Barile d.1919 Lowell, MA Married in Barile
Children: Giuseppi b.1891(my G GF), Giovani b.1893, Angelo b.1880, Vito b.1878 - All in Barile
Resided in Lowell, MA USA
I'm guessing he also died in Lowell, MA USA

Thank you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Help Please - Carnevale - Barile, Potenza

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Welcome to the forum.

There are currently some records online for Barile, Potenza for the years 1861-1929. These records include Allegati in which you may find older records relevant to your history. You would just need to work your way through them. Here is the link to what is available on line at Family Search:

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1483052

I've had a look through the marriage banns for 1890 but couldn't see a marriage record there for Ralph and Grazia.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Welcome to the forum.

There are currently some records online for Barile, Potenza for the years 1861-1929. These records include Allegati in which you may find older records relevant to your history. You would just need to work your way through them. Here is the link to what is available on line at Family Search:

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1483052

I've had a look through the marriage banns for 1890 but couldn't see a marriage record there for Ralph and Grazia.

Whoops, not sure why I did that?

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here is the marriage record of Raffaele Carnevale and Grazia Maria at Index 14 Image 9:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,55932401

I'll do a quick translation as I need to be doing something else soon. Someone can edit it for me if necessary.

They were married 1877 - 31 March.

Raffaele Carnevale, Aged 25, Farmer born and living in Barile, son of the late Angelo and Carmela Strozza living in Barile.

Grazia Maria Soda, Aged 21, Farmer born and living in Barile daughter of Vito and of Rosa Rangino both living in Barile.

So if you look through the Allegati for 1877 and locate this couple's there you should find Angelo's death record which may help you to go back further. Raffaele and Grazia's respective birth records should also be there.

All the best with your search.

Angela
brady-gordon

Post by brady-gordon »

Angela,

Thank you so much, this is incredible information! Now I have to learn Italian haha.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

HI Angela
Heres your GGrandfather
Birth of Giuseppe Carnevale
INDEX#20
1890 Jan 19th in the town of Barile birth of Giuseppe Carnevale son of Raffaele Carnevale, age 37 farmer living in Barile and Grazia Maria Soda
CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE
record-image (288).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
brady-gordon

Post by brady-gordon »

Marty,

Thank you for finding that birth record. Great find.

I believe I have located the death record for Angelo Carnevale (Image 56 Index 145 below). Would somebody be be able to translate it for me? Thanks

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,56218601
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

brady-gordon wrote:Angela,

Thank you so much, this is incredible information! Now I have to learn Italian haha.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

Hi Marty, thanks for following up. I am actually going away today for a couple of days so ran out of time trying to get ready.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

brady-gordon wrote:Marty,

Thank you for finding that birth record. Great find.

I believe I have located the death record for Angelo Carnevale (Image 56 Index 145 below). Would somebody be be able to translate it for me? Thanks

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,56218601
Fantastic - great find. Here's a quick translation for you:

Death Record Index No 145 – Angelo Carnevale
Record dated: Year 1874: 26 November at 4 p.m.
It was reported that at a house at Via Cotunto? No 3 Angelo Carnevale, aged 62, Farmer, born and living in Barile, husband of Carmela Strozza and son of deceased Giuseppe Carnavale and Anna Vallaro (also deceased) died.
He died on 25 November.

Feel free to post any future record finds here that need translating. We are always glad to help.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I thought you might be interested in having a look at the following some time. I found it very helpful when I was first learning to read Italian records.

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/italian ... extraction

BTW: I think the street name is more likely to be Via Catunto, looking at the way the second letter is formed. I googled both these street names but couldn't find them so not sure if they still exist or not.

Angela
GuyMV

Post by GuyMV »

My great grandfather had the following background:
Michele Vallaro
Born: January 17 1856
Barile Italy
Emigrated to NY from Naples March 1882
I wonder if he was related to Anna Vallaro?
and how I can extract information from the online documents?
thanks
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You should start another post on Michele Vallaro
Possible marriage record of Michele Vallaro
INDEX#20
1882 June 1st in the town of Barile marriage of Michele Vito Vallaro age 26(abt 1856) son of deceased Antonio Vallaro and deceased Teresa Finizio married Luigia Travierso age 26 (abt 1856) daughter of Giovanni Travierso and deceased Maria Basso
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1,55932401

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
record-image (418).jpg

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
GuyMV

Post by GuyMV »

thank you very much---that's my great grandfather and grandmother
Kalos

Post by Kalos »

Hi! I'm interested to know if your GG GF (Rafaelle) is related to my GG GF - Arcangelo
Carnevale, of Barile, Potenza (married Anna Botti, I think.). Maybe he is a brother or cousin? Arcangelo had 2 sons (Antonio & 1 other), & 2 daughters - Emma & Cherubina Carnevale (my Great grandmother). She moved to Lawrence, Mass. - not far from Lowell.
brady-gordon

Post by brady-gordon »

Kalos wrote:Hi! I'm interested to know if your GG GF (Rafaelle) is related to my GG GF - Arcangelo
Carnevale, of Barile, Potenza (married Anna Botti, I think.). Maybe he is a brother or cousin? Arcangelo had 2 sons (Antonio & 1 other), & 2 daughters - Emma & Cherubina Carnevale (my Great grandmother). She moved to Lawrence, Mass. - not far from Lowell.
Hi Kalos,

Do you know names of Arcangelo father? Rafaelle is the son of Angelo Carnevale 1812-1874.