Tillona and Tidona families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Trisha378

Tillona and Tidona families

Post by Trisha378 »

Hi,

I'm looking for information on mostly the Tidonas. My 3rd great grandfather Gaetano and his brother Giorgio were born and raised in Ragusa Sicily. According my grandfather Gaetano was born in 1765. We believe Giorgio was a little older, but we lost track of that line, so there was no information provided. What I have is a family tree that my sister Francesca wrote down with my maternal grandfather's help. He was 93 at the time and the only one she could ask. He gave a lot of information. However, he gave some first and last names, first names with no last names and last names with no first names. Of course there were the stories handed down through time.

So getting back to the original brothers up top. In 1785 they traveled from Ragusa looking to settle somewhere else(why unknown), they came to Licodia, the Eubea was added years latter. When they decided they would like to settle there, they went to the town clerk to register. Dialects being what they were, no two towns spoke the same dialect. The clerk took the d sound and translated it to two L's. The name remained Tillona ever since. The two brothers had two occupations, one was sheep sheering, and the other was scribes. Sheep sheering was seasonal, which is why they had a second occupation. I have been to Licodia and met all the relatives alive in 1968, most of which are dead now. I also met relatives who came to this country in the 50's to 60's. I am now looking for any Tidonas from Ragusa who might provide information. I want to know who they left behind. Their parents,siblings, aunts and uncles, and why, if Ragusa is a larger town, they felt they to sette elsewhere. Of course those are stories that would have been handed down through time. Also, where to write to get birth records at least and information on family and relatives. I know this is tricky, not all Tidonas are related to each other as the Tillonas were and are.

Any information on the Tidonas would be helpful.
Thank you, Trisha378
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Tillona and Tidona families

Post by adelfio »

What was your grandfathers name and date of birth?
Your best bet is to start with your maternal grandfather and work you way back verifying dates and names and the information your sister has and the branch lines of your family.There are records online on at familysearch.org Licodia Eubea Catania 1861-1941 where you can get your records from to check your info
PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... %3D1483039

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Trisha378

Post by Trisha378 »

Hi adelfio,

I appreciate your answer. But I already have enough on family from Licodia. I need information about the family of Tidonas that my 3rd great grandfather and his brother left in Ragusa. Do you know how I can get information in Ragusa. That would very helpful to in piecing together those missing links. At least back to 1765 when Gaetano was born.

Thanks, Trisha378
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What is your earliest record from Ragusa?
There are public trees on ancestry saying that Gaetano Tillona 1765-1841 son of Giorgio Tillona
and Giovanna Pepi was born in Licodia Eubea

Marty

Marty
Trisha378

Post by Trisha378 »

Hi adelfio,

To answer your questiion the records on ancestry are wrong. When I try to explain it gets confusing.
There a lot of Gaetanos in my family. The first one that I'm trying to learn more of was my 3rd great grandfather. He is the one who was born in 1765, but in Ragusa not Licodia. Giorgio was his brother not his son. They were both born and raised in Ragusa, and the family name was Tidona, only to be changed to Tillona when they registered in Licodia. We believe Giorgio was a couple of years older than Gaetano, but no one knows for sure because we lost track of his line. The brothers didn't settle in Licodia till 1785, and no, we don't know why they went from Rugusa to Licodia. And as far as Giovanna Pepi goes, I don't know who that is. I only know one Giovanna, my second cousin, and she was born in the 1930s. She died in 2004 I think.

I want to know which official office in Ragusa I can write to and get some record of the brothers' exiistance. At this time that information will be the most helpful.

thanks, Trisha378
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You have to go to the church records of Ragusa now for your information for the civil records begin in 1820. The problem is there are a lot of churches in Ragusa and you don't know which one they used that's why I ask if you had any records of Ragusa of the family
There is a Riveli di beni e anime,(census) Ragusa (Ragusa), 1569-1816 Disclosures (census) of families and properties, supplementary documents in Italian which could give info of the Tidona family which is on film at Family History Library which you can rent and view

ABOUT ITALIAN CIVIL RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... al_Records

PG LINK TO CENSUS RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty

Marty
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

My Center indexed the 1748 Riveli (census) of Ragusa. The 1748 is the only one complete, in the other census many registers are missed. Besides, I have free access to the Church Archives in Ragusa (acts from the XVI century)
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
VotM
Elite
Elite

Missing Riveli registers (Re: Tillona and Tidona families)

Post by VotM »

Marcello_DAleo wrote:My Center indexed the 1748 Riveli (census) of Ragusa. The 1748 is the only one complete, in the other census many registers are missed. Besides, I have free access to the Church Archives in Ragusa (acts from the XVI century)
Do you (or anyone else) know if the issue of missing registers also applies to Gioiosa -- specifically, the 1711 Riveli?
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342