Need help finding info, at a dead end.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lorkent78

Need help finding info, at a dead end.

Post by Lorkent78 »

Hi everyone. I really need some help find information about a family member. I have just a little information but am at a dead end. I'm trying to find out the following, any info about a great uncle including his real given name, when and where he married, who he married, his place and time of death, if he had any children, and also start to gather information about the wife's family.

Here is what I have so far

His name is Carlo Montoli, but according to the birth records on Novaria.org his given name is listed like this:
Vittorio, Cesare, Augusto,
Emanuele, Montoli

I am not sure the correct order of his name. The records show he was born on Dec 13,1861
His parents are Gaudenzio Montoli & Ernesta Lagnani (spelled Legnami on the site)

He did come to the US for a short period of time and then returned to Italy, so I'm guessing his name was changed to Carlo when he went to the US.

As far as marriage records, I've found a Marriage date of Dec. 29, 1888. Although I cannot find the name of his wife or any info about her. The date may be wrong, but I do know 1888 is the correct year.
I did come across a record showing a Maria Antonia Alberio, however it is conflicting as her records show she died in 1875, which would have been before marriage. So this is obviously not her.

It was recorded in 1888 that Carlo was a resident of Lecco, Lombardia, Italy.

He died in 1925 in Italy. There is a chance he could have lived in Como, Lombardia, as that is where his parents lived and died.

If anyone has a better way of searching this info and could help me out it would be so greatly appreciated!

My purpose of this search is to build my family tree and also see if I could have perhaps have living relatives outside of my immediate family.

Grazie!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need help finding info, at a dead end.

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Those are actually baptism records, not birth. As such, the multiple given names may be somewhat meaningless.

I suggest you write to the comune and request a "copia integrale dell'atto di nascita" - this is an exact copy (usually a photocopy) of the original handwritten birth record. It will contain, more than likely, a notation concerning his date & location of marriage along with his wife's full name.

[edit]
Unfortunately, the Novaria.org site only tells us that Carlo was baptized in the Cathedral of Novara. This may mean that he was actually born in the city of Novara; however it is also possible that he was born in any of a large number of surrounding comuni. As above, I would suggest you begin by writing to Comune di Novara and see what turns up.

Comune di Novara
Via Fratelli Rosselli, 1
28100 Novara
ITALY

Sig.ra Tiziana Nuvolone is in charge of the Stato Civile office. Her email is nuvolone.tiziana@comune.novara.it. You can find various form letters at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etters.htm
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage publication of Carlo Montoli son of deceased Giuseppe and Teresa Legnani and Maria Antonia Alberio 1876 are you sure about his birth year
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
vbmdita1860_2164190-1767 (1).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Lorkent78

Post by Lorkent78 »

Thank you for the advice, I have just posted a letter to Novara requesting information.

I am pretty sure that's his birth year, and the parents name are Gaudenzio Montoli and Ernesta Lagnani. I'm pretty sure all this information is correct, he has a brother John Joseph Montoli (Americanized named) birth name is Giovanni Battista/Baptiste Montoli. I say it may be correct because that's all I've found.
Lorkent78

Post by Lorkent78 »

Thank you for the image, however I'm having the hardest time reading the handwriting lol. I will look into Giuseppe and Teresa and see if I can find any leads there.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi
The Carlo Montoli in the pubblicazioni that Adelfio posted was aged 38 in 1876 and was born in Origgio (Novara Province)
According to this record he was the son of Giuseppe Montoli and Teresa Legnani
So he was not the same person born in 1861
His bride-to-be, Maria Antonia Alberio was born in Rovello (Province of Como) and was aged 26.
Cuiao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I looked on the Novara site there is a Angelo Giovanni Battista Carlo Montoli baptized 1864 Sept 23rd son of Gaudenzio Montoli and Ernesta Lagnani

Maria Adelaide Clotilde Montoli baptized 1862 Dec 23rd daughter of Gaudenzio Montoli and Ernesta Lagnani

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

So we have two different "Carlo Montoli"
One baptized 1864 in Novara, son of Gaudenzio Montoli and Ernesta Legnami
The other born about about 1838 in Origgio, son of Giuseppe and Teresa Legnani, husband of Maria Antonia Alberio
:?
Paola
PS "Legnani" is a very common surname in Novara. Legnami looks like a typo.
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin