Cicero Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Cicero Family

Post by mcvega »

I just came back from Cianciana, Agrigento, Sicily and was able to find a third cousin twice removed. It was a wonderful celebration. She is very old but she remembers a lot. I always thought my grandparents were first cousins but she said No, they were second cousins. No I need help in finding out who Giuseppa Cicero's parents are. She married Giuseppe Castellano in Cianciana in 1898. I will try to attach a copy. Any information you can find on Giuseppa Cicero would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
marriage Giuseppe Castellano Cicero.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Cicero Family

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi there

Déjà vu! :wink: I'm not sure if you realise that this this marriage document has been posted before on one of your previous threads:

RELATED THREAD: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/l ... no#p201749

I'll repost some of the info for you:

“Marriage of Giuseppe Castellano and Giuseppa Cicero
INDEX#16
1898 April 5th in the town of Cianciana appeared Giuseppe Castellano age 36 farmer born in Montallegro and resides in Cianciana son of deceased Francesco Castellano and deceased Anna Gino married Giuseppa Cicero age 31 born in Cianciana and resides in Cianciana daughter of deceased Paolo Cicero and deceased Ninfa Alfano
Montallegro is a comune in the Province of Agrigento”

RELATED THREAD: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... na#p209939

So both Giuseppa's parents had died by 1898.

“Here is the death record for Ninfa Alfano - died 1884

Record #69
Dated 11 June 1884 in Cianciana
Died at 5 PM on the 10th of the month at the place at Via Santa Rocco #1
Ninfa Alfano was age 54, spinner residing in Cianciana
Born in Cianciana to deceased Giovanni; and to deceased Caterina Conti.
She was the widow of Paolo Cicero”

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349480701

“Death record of Paolo Cicero
INDEX#98
1878 Sept 18th in the town of Cianciana death of Paolo Cicero age 52(abt 1826) born and residing in Cianciana son of deceased Giuseppe Antonio Cicero and deceased Maria Rosa Cassata husband of the living Vincenza(Ninfa)Alfano

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1581219513”

Hopes this helps.

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Marriage date: April 5 1898
Groom: Giuseppe Castellano, aged 36, peasant, born in Montallegro, residing in Cianciaba, son of dceased Francesco and of the deceased Anna Gino.
Bride: Giuseppa Cicero, aged 31, housewife, born and residing in Cianciana, daughter of deceased Paolo and of the deceased Ninfa Alfano.

With this marriage the couple recognised and legitimized 4 children born before the marriage:
Anna Castellano born March 9 1887 (female)
Vincenza Castellano born July 19 1889 (female)
Francesco Castellano born Sept 6 1891 (male)
Paolo Castellano born Jan 1 1894 (male)
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

The surname Cicero, in the nearby town of Ribera at least, is often combined with Leo to make the double surname Leo Cicero. Thus you may find records for your ancestors under that name, or just Leo or even Di Leo. I'm not sure if this combination was also present in Cianciana.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

carubia wrote:The surname Cicero, in the nearby town of Ribera at least, is often combined with Leo to make the double surname Leo Cicero. Thus you may find records for your ancestors under that name, or just Leo or even Di Leo. I'm not sure if this combination was also present in Cianciana.
This is quite unusual, is it possible to see a document with this double surname?
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Here's an example. I have 7 people in my tree with that double surname. You can see some of their records indexed on familysearch.

The combinations Leo Gallina and Leo Intogna are also common, but while any of these people could also be known as just Leo or Di Leo, the double surnames are never confused with each other.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Thanks!
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I just checked the records indexed online at familysearch again and see that some of them are for "Lo Cicero" (and some people in the same family are "Leo Cicero"). Lo Cicero is also found outside Ribera, whereas I don't see that Leo Cicero is. But then, almost all of the people known as Lo Cicero in Ribera are also known as Leo or Di Leo on other records. I haven't viewed any records with Lo Cicero yet - I've only see them online - whereas I have seen Leo Cicero personally, as you can see as well from the file I posted. Did the name start out as Lo Cicero and them someone misread or misheard it as Leo Cicero and then it was abbreviated to Leo? Or was Leo Cicero confused with the name Lo Cicero found elsewhere? Or have the people who indexed it just misread it?

I note that there is no Lo Gallina or Lo Intogna (or La Gallina or L'Intogna, for that matter). Those names are always with only Leo.