What is my next step?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
scraig32
Elite
Elite

What is my next step?

Post by scraig32 »

I have been using this site for a while now and have had tremendous help translating and finding documents of my ancestors. When I started I only knew who my great grandparents were and today I am able to go all the way back to my 7x great grandparents in Riccia. They were all born in the 1700's. Since the documents on the Antenati site only go to 1800 I am guessing that will be as far as I can go. Is that correct? Do documents from the 1700s exist but they just aren't available online? Do I now need to contact the individual communes and request these earlier documents? Or have I gone as far as possible? Thank you in advance for helping me with my next step.

Suzanne
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: What is my next step?

Post by adelfio »

You will have to go to the church records which means you will have to write or hire a researcher to get those records some church registries go back to 1500
Sometimes on the right side of your early birth records they list the churches name so that's a god place to start

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

so if i am interested in church records from Riccia, do I just write to the church in Riccia?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

scraig32 wrote:so if i am interested in church records from Riccia, do I just write to the church in Riccia?

Here are addresses and contact info for the two churches in Riccia-

Parrocchia S. IMMACOLATA CONCEZIONE
P.zza Umberto
RICCIA 86016 (CB)
itali
Sac. Elio DI PAOLO

Parrocchia S. MARIA ASSUNTA IN CIELO
Via S.Maria
RICCIA 86016 (CB)
P. Annibale FANELLI
P. Mario MAGAGNATO (vice Parroco)

to help with letters to the priests-

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter4.html

I would first inquire to determine if the ancestors' records are in the parish books. Bear in mind though that many parish priests don't have the time or the staff to do the research you want.
Erudita
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

Thanks Erudita! This may mean I just need to take a trip :-)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

scraig32 wrote:Thanks Erudita! This may mean I just need to take a trip :-)
You're very welcome. A trip to Italy is always nice. Just bear in mind though that, if you ever do get to visit your ancestral town, you should contact the parish in advance to let him know that you will be visiting. There is no guarantee, however, that you will get to view the very old parish books which contain the records but, if the priest knows you are coming, he may be nice enough to extract some of the info you need and create new record copies for you. The old books themselves may be too fragile for him to make photocopies of the pages or to allow visitors to view them themselves.
Erudita
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

Very good info!!! Totally makes sense. Thanks for the great advice!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

scraig32 wrote:Very good info!!! Totally makes sense. Thanks for the great advice!

You're very welcome, but I really hope that, if you do get to visit your Italian ancestral town someday, you will enjoy the trip there and not be bogged down with having to do research while there.

Erudita
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

I couldn't agree more! Would reall just love to walk the streetsm take tons of pictures, eat delicious,food and just enjoy.