Portuguese in Genova

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pdias

Portuguese in Genova

Post by pdias »

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the forum and I recently discovered one ancestor of mine was born in Italy. I'm Portuguese, and so far, all my family is from Portuguese origin, so I'm quite interested in finding out more about this particular ancestor of mine.

I don't have much information about him, and I'm don't really know where I can research more information about him and his ancestors. If anybody could help, I'd be very grateful. I'm mainly looking for his birth certificate or his parents wedding certificate.

In return, if any of you ever needs to research ancestors in Portugal, I might be of help.

This is what I know of my ancestor:

Name: Antonio Marques
Son of Domingos Marques & Angela Marqueza
Born: São Jacome, Genova, Italy (I believe that's San Giacomo, Genova?)
Estimated date of birth: between 1770-1790

At some point he moved to Lisbon before 1806 and he married for the first time in 1806 in Lisbon, to Victorina Rosa, living the rest of his life in Mafra, Portugal.

I don't know if his parents were Portuguese or Italian. His father name is a very typical Portuguese name, the mother name however, is not.

In that time frame where I believe he might have been born Genova was the capital of the Genoa Republic, if I'm not mistaken, just before it was annexed by France. Are there still records available of that time period and location?

The names are written in Portuguese, Sao Jacome I believe is San Giacomo, and Antonio Marques, Son of Domingos Marques & Angela Marqueza are also written in Portuguese, I can only try to guess what's the Italian version of them, but I'm no pro.

Any help would be appeciated.
Thanks
Pedro Dias
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Portuguese in Genova

Post by PippoM »

It's a hard search...
My guess is that his original surname was Marchese or Marchesi (quite common there, as all over Italy), so, Antonio and Domenico Marchese(i).
There are no communes named "San Giacomo" around Genova, so, that might be a church in the city, or around it.
These are the parishes in the Genova diocese:

S. CUORE E S.GIACOMO DI CARIGNANO - GENOVA (GE)

S. GIACOMO APOSTOLO - CORNIGLIANO LIGURE - GENOVA (GE)

S. GIACOMO MAGGIORE - FADO ALTO - MELE (GE)

S. GIACOMO MAGGIORE - GAVI (AL)

S. GIACOMO MAGGIORE - PONTEDECIMO - GENOVA (GE)

S. GIACOMO MAGGIORE DI MOLASSANA - GENOVA (GE)

You can find their addresses here:

http://www.chiesacattolica.it/pls/cci_n ... ric_parret

to write asking if they can do some search for you...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

S. GIACOMO APOSTOLO - CORNIGLIANO LIGURE - GENOVA (GE)
in 1806 census of CORNIGLIANO I found
2 MARCHESE Dominique ( the first names are in french Language)
one born in 1764
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html

and one in 1768..
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

:? no further details...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pdias

Post by pdias »

Thanks for the reply PippoM.

Those name translations look good, and it helps. One more question, do you know if it's common for foreign names of people living in Italy to be translated to Italian?

About the communes in Genova... wow... so many with the similar names. That's is going to be complicated indeed.
As I said, all I know from him was that he was born in the parish of "São Jacome" of the city of Genova. I was hoping that there would be a single hit for that, but apparently it is not.

Is it common for the parish to do this search by request? Are there cost associated with it?

Once again, thanks for all the help.
pdias

Post by pdias »

Thank you suanj for your reply.

Those are very interesting records, but I have no way to validate that they are the ones I'm looking for.

On 1806 the son Antonio Marques (or Marchesi) was already on Portugal, on the time of that Napolionic Census. His parents could still be living there though.
The birth dates for his parent Domingos Marques (Dominico/Dominique Marchesi) in 1764 would imply that he married young, and so did his son. It's possible, but it's tight.

Thank you so much for the extra information though.
All bits help.
Pedro