Town in Italy named Santa Chirico?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nsondy
Rookie
Rookie

Town in Italy named Santa Chirico?

Post by Nsondy »

My great-grandmother's brother listed his town of birth on the WWI draft registration as
Santa Chirico (?) I think - I can't really tell what the handwriting says. Can anyone take a crack at this and tell me what they think it says?? http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/NY ... turnRecord

Nancy Sondy
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Town in Italy named Santa Chirico?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Perhaps you mean San Chirico Nuovo, located in the Potenza province of Southern Italy.

See http://www.comune.sanchiriconuovo.pz.it ... o/home.jsp

https://www.google.com/maps/place/85010 ... 5e1857ae73
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

There is also San Chirico Raparo in Potenza Province as well as San Chirico, which is a frazione or hamlet of the town of Benevento.

• San Chirico Nuovo, province Potenza, region Basilicata
• San Chirico Raparo, province Potenza, region Basilicata

San Chirico, a frazione of the comune of Benevento, Benevento, Campania

Erudita
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think San Chirico Nuovo,Potenza draft record is off by a year
POSSIBLE BIRTH RECORD
Index# 37 1896 March 13th birth record of Antonio Cianci son of Vito Cianci
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
31053_A512188-00014.jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Nsondy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nsondy »

Marty! As a newbie at this, I have the utmost admiration of your skills!!! This looks to be my great-grandmother's brother - where did you find this? This is more than my grandmother even knew of her family. I don't read Italian, but I think I got the gist of this document - it doesn't mention mother, right? Do you have access to other records from this time and place? My grandmother was Rosina Cianci, born 1887, Vito's daughter and Antonio's sister. She died in childbirth at the age of 25, and my grandmother knew very little of her real mother. Thank you so much, Marty, I can't tell you how much this has helped me.

Nancy
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Glad to help the records come from ancestry.com or familysearch.org of San Chirico Nuovo online
Birth of Rosa Maria Cianci
INDEX#5
1886 Jan 19th in the town of San Chirico Nuovo,Potenza in a house a strada Margherita #59 birth of Rosa Maria Cianci daughter of Vito Cianci age 24 farmer and Maria Sodo
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392432002
record-image (421).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Nancy,

Marty is amazing, isn't he?

Here you can find a good primer on interpreting Italian records: https://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads ... efault.htm

Start with Chapter 2, Civil Birth Records.

You may find these links useful as well:

http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Italy_Handwriting

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Italy
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Nsondy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nsondy »

Yes, Marty is amazing! If these records are available on Ancestry.com, I would need a world subscription instead of just U.S....so that will be my next expense in the pursuit of my origins....

Nancy
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The world subscription is way too expensive, IMO.

Here is a trick which I have used successfully for many years: go to http://www.ancestry.it/ (yes, the Italian website) and sign up there for only 8.65 euros PER YEAR (it says 9.95 euros but bills as 8.65 euros - I don't know why) or just 1 euro per month! You can even use the same login details as you do for the regular ancestry.com site and charge to the same credit card if you wish.

If you have a hard time figuring out the Italian language site, you can access it through Google's site translation service at https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

** To be fair, I think the very low price for Ancestry Italy access reflects the relatively limited number of available documents.
Carmine

adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Vito Cianci and Maria Sodo
INDEX#20
1882 Oct 29th in the town of San Chirico Nuovo,Potenza marriage of Vito Antonio Cianci age 20 born in San Chirico Nuovo farmer son of deceased Michele Cianci and Maria Lula married Maria Sodo age 21 born in San Chirico Nuovo daughter of Rocco Sodo and Rosa Bonomo
31053_A512264-00011.jpg
Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

After doing some more researching about the Cianci in San Chirico Nuovo the first Anna Rosa Cianci died in 1886 they renamed the next baby daughter the same, your grandmother her name was Anna Rosa Cianci so 1887 was the right birth year
INDEX #83
1887 Sept 28th in the town of San Chirico Nuovo,Potenza in a house a strada Margherita #63 birth of Anna Rosa Cianci daughter of Vito Cianci age 26 farmer and Maria Sodo
31053_A512179-00029.jpg
Birth of Carmela Cianci
INDEX #93
1890 Nov 6th in the town of San Chirico Nuovo,Potenza birth of Carmela Cianci daughter of Vito Cianci age 28 farmer and Maria Sodo
31053_A512182-00032.jpg
Birth of Margherita Cianci
INDEX#103
1892 Oct 13th in the town of San Chirico Nuovo,Potenza birth of Margherita Cianci daughter of Vito Cianci age 30 farmer and Maria Sodo
31053_A512184-00036.jpg
Marty

Marty
Nsondy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nsondy »

Wow, Marty - you have really fleshed out this otherwise dead end in my family tree. I got myself the Italian membership to Ancestry.com as suggested above by Carmine (THANKS CARMINE!) but I am not finding any of the records you have access to. I'm still learning how to search, so this could be due to my very underdeveloped detective skills.

According to the marriage certificate between Luigi Triolone and Rosina Cianci dated April 7, 1904, her mother's maiden name was "LORA" which is handwritten - and the L could be an S, but the lower case "r" is definitely an R. A small discrepancy when all the other information adds up.

Thank you again and again, Marty!

Nancy :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Was Luigi Triolone born in Tricarico Matera?

Ok from ancestry.com screen go to the top of screen to search/ card catalog/title/ write Italy/search/ Potenza, Basilicata, Italy, Civil Registration Records, 1861-1938 /province Potenza /locality (town you are researching in )
Use the indexes birth death marriage to find the surname you are researching and index number for the year you are searching than go to that year to find that record

Marty

Marty
Nsondy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nsondy »

Yes, my grandmother said that her father, Luigi, was born in Tricarico. I'm going to give your search a try - I have been searching family history for years, but only got "serious" about it in the past couple of years. My grandmother's first husband, my biological grandfather, Joseph Pape, was never spoken of. I wanted to know more about him, so I joined Ancestry and started searching. It took me a little while to find him, but I did...and he was on the census for NJ State Prison! No wonder the family hid information about him! I got lucky, his family must have had some money, because I have the passport application for his father that pinpointed their hometown as Torre del Greco - I put in a request for information on Joe Pape's parents and I think you might have answered me with a letter written in Italian...Raffaele Pepe and Colomba Gambeldella (I misread it as Gambardella I think). What started as a family mystery has turned into my obsession :) The more I discover, the more weird stuff I find out about my family.

Nancy