DeSanto born in Foggia, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
KevinO
Rookie
Rookie

DeSanto born in Foggia, Italy

Post by KevinO »

Hello,

I am researching my great grandfather's (Domenico DeSanto) lineage in Italy. He was born on 28/7/1894 in Foggia, Italy and his parents were Francesco and Rafaella (or Rachel) Pepe (or Pape). I don't know how long he lived in Foggia but, he came to the US on September 2, 1913 with his last place of residence listed as Amantea, Italy. Any ideas where I can find information on Francesco and Rafaella? Specifically I am looking to see if they had any other children, their own birth and death dates, etc. From what I have gathered I do not think Francesco and Rafaella ever came to the US. Thank you!
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Re: DeSanto born in Foggia, Italy

Post by mjclayton1 »

Hi, Kevin-

The experts here will likely quickly - and rightfully - put me in my place if I'm mis-speaking here (although I'm sure they'd do it nicely!), but I'm thinking if you can possibly offer the commune then that will greatly aid them in their search process, as there are many "comuni" in Foggia (over 60).

Nonetheless, some background info (which you probably already have):

WWI Draft Registration card (I can't read the Italian town noted):

http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/MI ... turnRecord

Naturalization source Index:

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1629/31 ... turnRecord

WWII Draft Registration card (Italian town noted is "Foge", which is probably meant to be Foggia?!)

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1002/30 ... turnRecord

Good luck with your research!
KevinO
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KevinO »

Hi Mjclayton1,

Thanks for the quick reply! I do have the information you posted (the WWI registration is for someone else with the same name that settled in Detroit, but the WWII registration and Naturalization info is him).

You mention that a commune would help--I am not sure what that is; if you could let me know I would appreciate it.

Best

Kevin
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Hi, Kevin-

As I understand it, a comune is basically like a town, or municipality (note: my knowledge in this regard is limited - the expert people here are undoubtedly far more knowledgeable as to this stuff than I ever could be).

There's a mayor ("sindaco") and also a basic structure for administrative functions, including the keeping of vital records such as births, deaths and marriages. My admittedly limited genealogical searching experience thus far has indicated that, overall, record-keeping is fairly consistent, i.e., in terms of "form" (Napoleonic, etc.), but some areas of Italy have kept better historical records than others over the years, e.g., depending on the ruling power of the day (portions of Italy have been "conquered" many times prior to unification in the early 1870's).

To draw a (very) loose parallel, the breakdown is almost like identifying an area in the U.S. by State, County and City... whereas in Italy the division is Regions, Provinces, Comuni. The region is the first level, the province the intermediate level and the comune the basic (administrative) level.

Hope that helps.

Mark
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

KevinO wrote:Hello,

I am researching my great grandfather's (Domenico DeSanto) lineage in Italy. He was born on 28/7/1894 in Foggia, Italy and his parents were Francesco and Rafaella (or Rachel) Pepe (or Pape). I don't know how long he lived in Foggia but, he came to the US on September 2, 1913 with his last place of residence listed as Amantea, Italy. Any ideas where I can find information on Francesco and Rafaella? Specifically I am looking to see if they had any other children, their own birth and death dates, etc. From what I have gathered I do not think Francesco and Rafaella ever came to the US. Thank you!
Hi Kevin,
I know not if the arrival on 2 Sep 1913 of Domenico De Santo coming from Amantea is the right arrival of your ancestor;

this Domenico De Santo was born in 1893:

First Name: Domenico
Last Name: De Santo
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence: Amanten, Italy
Date of Arrival: Sep 02, 1913
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Ancona
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0019

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0389%2ETIF

the Birth act:
Domenico DI SANTO born in Amantea on 24 Nov 1893 #180 son of Francesco 38 old farm hand and of Innocenza Stefanini

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348853801
Instead your Domenico, as you said, he was born in 1894 and in some Commune in Foggia area... right?
a my suggestion:
I believe that "Farge" is the mispelled name of Domenico birthplace: FURCI in Chieti province (and not Foggia)
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
KevinO
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KevinO »

Hi suanj,

Thank you for the thorough and quick reply! Attached is an old document that the family has maintained and was issued by the Chicago Italian Consulate. The information hand-written in the middle of the page is difficult to read. Does this help in getting any additional information on his birth record and/or additional information on his parents?

Best

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi yes he was born in Foggia town.. Thanks for input.. the parent's names are rights: Francesco DI SANTO and Raffaela PEPE... the document is of 1914, addressed to Italian Consulate in Chicago.. so Domenico in 1914 he was in USA

however I believe that the ship's manifest of Sep 02, 1913 is no of your ancestor..
we must find the right arrival...
and that can help:
Record Details for Volume 199

Page Number: 22
Declaration Number: 97622

FIRST NAME LAST NAME OCCUPATION
DOMENICO DESANTO LABORER

BIRTH CITY BIRTH COUNTRY BIRTH DATE
FOGGIA ITALY 7/28/1894

CURRENT ADDRESS CURRENT CITY
1123 S. PEORIA ST. CHICAGO

DEPARTURE LOCATION ARRIVAL DATE DECLARATION DATE
NAPLES, ITALY 5/31/1913 12/28/1918

again:
Record Details for Volume 333

Page Number: 426
Declaration Number: 164826

FIRST NAME LAST NAME OCCUPATION
DOMENICO DESANTO PAINTER

BIRTH CITY BIRTH COUNTRY BIRTH DATE
LAGGIO* ITALY 7/28/1894

CURRENT ADDRESS CURRENT CITY
839 S. CLAREMONT AVE. CHICAGO

DEPARTURE LOCATION ARRIVAL DATE DECLARATION DATE
NAPLES, ITALY 5/30/1913 3/10/1924
(*Foggia!)

so the RIGHT arrival is:
First Name: Domenico
Last Name: Di Sant
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: May 31, 1913
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Madonna
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0026

pag 1 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
mother PEPE Raffaela in Foggia

pag 2 http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
joining at cousin Nicola Delli.... in Chicago ILL
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you can find Domenico Birth act searching in Foggia civil records by LDS microfilms

Registri dello stato civile di foggia (Foggia), 1809-1899
Births, marriages, deaths, marriage banns, miscellaneous documents, marriage documents, citizenship records; supplements to births, marriages, and deaths.

Includes annual indices

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
KevinO
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KevinO »

Thanks suanj you have been a great resource! I created another post to see if anyone has information on Francesco Di Santo and/or Raffaela from Foggia.
KevinO
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KevinO »

I am looking to rent the microfilm with the birth announcement information and there is a list of them available--I assume that I need the one entitled "Nati 1891-1897"?

Thank you!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

KevinO wrote:I am looking to rent the microfilm with the birth announcement information and there is a list of them available--I assume that I need the one entitled "Nati 1891-1897"?

Thank you!
yes, because Domenico was born in 1894, his birth act must be in: Nati 1891-1897
:D
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH