A Word About Italian Healthcare

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

A Word About Italian Healthcare

Post by jennabet »

I have been using the Italian healthcare system for nearly 14 years and have no complaints whatsoever with the Italian brand of socialized medicine, which is rated second best in the world, next to France. In addition to wanting to feel secure in that I would still be guaranteed a roof over my head if I ever came down with a catastrophic illness or had a serious accident, I made a PERSONAL BUSINESS DECISION to opt for the Italian system and reap my own financial benefit -- just like doctors in the USA make personal business decisions when they decide to go to medical school so they can become a member of the top 1% club (the richest people in America).

Good healthcare is a basic human right. It should be available to everyone and not just to patients who can afford to make their American doctor even wealthier. Fortunately, Italy and the European Union DO realize that ALL citizens, and not just a chosen few, are their greatest asset. If you have any questions about the Italian healthcare system or can relate any positive experiences, please contribute to the discussion and post your comments.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: A Word About Italian Healthcare

Post by Italysearcher »

My biggest negative to the Italian healthcare system is that they don't keep records. YOu get copies of everything and show them to the doctor if you wish.
Even dentists don't keep records.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: A Word About Italian Healthcare

Post by jennabet »

That's a good point, Ann. We are responsible for keeping our own records, which are always given to the patient and not to the doctor. I have a big folder for myself and one for my companion and I think I'm doing a pretty good job of keeping the paper files, as well as the calendar for our appointments. Our primary physician does log pertinent information by patient number onto his computer which he refers back to at every visit. So far, so good.