Nicolini from Liguria (Genoa)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pink67
Master
Master

Nicolini from Liguria (Genoa)

Post by pink67 »

My name is Laura and I am trying to find traces of the permanence of my grandfather in the USA from years 1912 to the 1923 (year in which he returned definitively in Italy)......
I hope a day of being able to visit the places where he has lived and worked, helping therefore the family that was remained to his country of origin.
I know that for various years he has lived in Calistoga because I have found old receipts that brought back his number of post office box , but I think that he was perhaps also in St. Helena, Floriston and Unionville in Nevada where he worked like miner.....
There is someone that can help giving one seen for me to the census of 1920?
Nicolini Giobatta born in Sestri Levante (Genoa) the 13/10/1892 has arrived to Ellis Island the 16/4/1913 (I Have found The Manifest on-line) .
I think that he returned in 1923.
Unfortunately he passed away many years ago and I have not had the possibility to ask him something of this period of his life, I have only some photography and an old passport...... Thanks in advance to anyone can help me!!
Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Nicolini from Liguria (Genoa)

Post by suanj »

Hi Laura, if I read well, GioBatta ( short shape of Giovanni Battista first name) joining to cousin in .... San Francisco , CA. .. Calistoga?
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 4245030250

I searched in California and Nevada 1920 census, but nobody Giobatta or similar spelling ....

however nobody Giobatta, but an Battista Nicolini age 31 (from direct reading ) in 1920 emigrated in 1913, alien, boarder of John Morelli family, single, profession "stone cracker(?)", was in Adams, Berkshire, Massachusetts...

could be?
regards from Italy, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Grazie Suanj!!!!
che velocità nella risposta!!
Posso scriverti in italiano vero??
il manifesto di Ellis Island è quello giusto, lui dichiarava di andare da un suo cugino di nome Cavallero Pietro in San Francisco, so che nei primi periodi della sua permanenza era "clandestino" ma quando è tornato in Italia lo ha fatto con un passaporto regolare, così ho creduto che fosse trascritta la sua presenza da qualche parte....
Dai racconti della nonna sapevo che era stato in California e Nevada, non mi risulta il Massachusetts, però chissa'!!
Ho in mano parecchie ricevute di soldi che lui mandava alla famiglia qui in italia e sono tutti spediti tramite banca da San Francisco.....
Visto che sei stata tanto gentile potresti darmi un'occhiata anche per suo cugino Pietro Cavallero in California?
Grazie ancora!!
Laura
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

pink67 wrote:I know that for various years he has lived in Calistoga because I have found old receipts that brought back his number of post office box , but I think that he was perhaps also in St. Helena, Floriston and Unionville in Nevada where he worked like miner.....Laura
Hi Laura,

If your Grandfather's name was Giobattista Nicolini, there is a good chance that in the USA, they called him John. In the 1920 Census, I did find a John Nicolini from Italy who was a miner living in California.

Here is the information on that census and I'm sure someone here in the group will post the census for me. (thank you:) )

Name: Johnn Nicoline
[John Nicolini]
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Shawmut, Tuolumne, California
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Lodger
Year of immigration: 1905
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 876
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Shawmut, Tuolumne, California; Roll: T625_153; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 164; Image: 876.

I can't say for sure this is him, but it's a good chance that it is.

As for your Pietro, I found this in the California Death Index.

CAVALLERO, PIETRO
Social Security #: 552509988
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 12 Jul 1889
Birthplace: ITALY
Death Date: 7 May 1965
Death Place: SAN JOAQUIN

And here is the mainfest for Peitro if he came from the same town as G. Nicolini.

Page 1

Page 2

I can't say for sure unless you know a birth year. If you know who Pietro married, then we might be able to find the census for you.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

brujaojos wrote:
pink67 wrote:I know that for various years he has lived in Calistoga because I have found old receipts that brought back his number of post office box , but I think that he was perhaps also in St. Helena, Floriston and Unionville in Nevada where he worked like miner.....Laura
Hi Laura,

If your Grandfather's name was Giobattista Nicolini, there is a good chance that in the USA, they called him John. In the 1920 Census, I did find a John Nicolini from Italy who was a miner living in California.

Here is the information on that census and I'm sure someone here in the group will post the census for me. (thank you:) )

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/6026/nico19207od.jpg

[John Nicolini]
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Shawmut, Tuolumne, California; Roll: T625_153; Page: 5B; Enumeration District: 164; Image: 876.

I can't say for sure this is him, but it's a good chance that it is.

As for your Pietro, I found this in the California Death Index.

CAVALLERO, PIETRO
Social Security #: 552509988
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 12 Jul 1889
Birthplace: ITALY
Death Date: 7 May 1965
Death Place: SAN JOAQUIN

And here is the mainfest for Peitro if he came from the same town as G. Nicolini.

Page 1

Page 2

I can't say for sure unless you know a birth year. If you know who Pietro married, then we might be able to find the census for you.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Linked the census record Trish found for you.
mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Saluti Pink67, :P

Maybe some relation to your Niccolini family??

Found some information about a GioBattista Niccolini in Michele's ship record.

This Michele (born 1891) had a father (in Italy in 1914) called Gio'batt'a Niccolini (obviously older than your Gio'Battista).

He was going to brother Giovanni's home on 700 Front Street, San Fransisco, California (see page 2 of manifest)

First Name: Michele
Last Name: Niccolini
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sestri Genova, Italy
Date of Arrival: Jul 25, 1914
Age at Arrival:  23y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: La Savoie
Port of Departure: LeHavre
Manifest Line Number: 0006

page 1 - ship record see line #6

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0268%2ETIF

Page 2 line #6

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0498030404

ciao, Maria
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Thank you Maria for posting my census for me!:)

hugs
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

pink67 wrote:Grazie Suanj!!!!
che velocità nella risposta!!
Posso scriverti in italiano vero??
il manifesto di Ellis Island è quello giusto, lui dichiarava di andare da un suo cugino di nome Cavallero Pietro in San Francisco, so che nei primi periodi della sua permanenza era "clandestino" ma quando è tornato in Italia lo ha fatto con un passaporto regolare, così ho creduto che fosse trascritta la sua presenza da qualche parte....
Dai racconti della nonna sapevo che era stato in California e Nevada, non mi risulta il Massachusetts, però chissa'!!
Ho in mano parecchie ricevute di soldi che lui mandava alla famiglia qui in italia e sono tutti spediti tramite banca da San Francisco.....
Visto che sei stata tanto gentile potresti darmi un'occhiata anche per suo cugino Pietro Cavallero in California?
Grazie ancora!!
Laura
Ciao Laura,
io non so se nel 1920 Giobatta era in California o altrove, ma forse dalle ricevute se ne riesci a trovare qualcuna verso il 1920, possiamo capire di più... come puoi vedere le care amiche Trish e Maria stanno cercando di aiutarti, e spero che tutti insieme riesciamo a farcela... comunque poichè sei diretta discendente, puoi chiedere all'Ufficio di stato Civile di Sestri Levante alcune informazioni, come ad esempio lo stato di residenza quando lui è tornato in Italia, 1923 circa, perchè sicuramente deve esserci qualche annotazione riguardo all'ultima residenza in USA...
Poi riguardo che lui fosse clandestino i primi tempi, non so, perchè sul manifesto della nave è tutto regolare e viaggia insieme a Pietro TALCO anchedi Sestri levante e insieme si recano da Pietro CAVALLERO... Io non so se gli altri dati inseriti qui possano riferirsi realmente al tuo Giobatta, come anche per quello mio che penso sia un' altra persona totalmente,
per cui per sapere di più dobbiamo trovare qualche dato che corrisponda perfettamente...
tanti saluti, ciao, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Thanks infinitely to Suanj, Trish, Maria and all you that are helping me.....
REally I didn’t believe to find therefore many and precise informations in the short time.... Then I have tried of find more exact informations.
The Italian Passport that has been emitted in the USA is n° 232 and the declared residence is Saint Francisco, I Can’t read well the year ( I suppose the 1928/1929) and It was emitted in order to allow to Nicolini Gio Batta (Born in Sestri Levante Genoa 13 October 1892 from Nicolini Giovanni and Benedetta Cavallero) the return in Italy.....
The familiar history tells that he returned in Italy, fell in love with my grandmother Maria and wanted to return in the USA, but my grandmother did not want and therefore remained always here in Italy.
I have found the last banking receipts dated june of 1926 emitted from the Bank "Montgomery Street Branch - Bank of Italyâ€Â
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: in World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 ,
I found that:
John Nicolini
City: Not Stated
County: Tuolumne
State: California
Birth Date: 10 Mar 1888
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1544440

perhaps the same that already mfjp found:

[John Nicolini]

well was born in 10 March 1888 and born in Italy to Libiola/Sestri Levante, but the birthdate is no equal with your Giobatta............. until this moment I have no record helpful for search... sorry, too soon, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Grazie comunque Suanj :D
Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Ciao Laura, realmente non riesco a trovare il tuo giobatta!
Finora l'unico veramente probabile è quel Battista, ma era in Massachusetts... spero che le altre amiche siano più fortunate!!! se trovo qualcosa comunque te lo dico, ciao suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I still need your help you because i’m in a dead point.....
Verfying that there are no traces of my grandfather Gio Batta Nicolini (the only sure data is that the last period of his permanence he was in the area of S. Francisco as declared on the passport for the return in Italy) I still ask you one courtesy:
Can somebody tell me something more of Cavallero Pietro (the cousins of my grandfather from which he declares to go in 1913 whehe arrived in the USA)?
Probably born the 12 July 1889 in Sestri Levante (Santa Vittoria di Libiola) province of Genoa - Italy..... Perhaps if I can localize him I can understand somethingmore of the story of my grandfather.... Thanks , you are great!! Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Laura, are 3 Pietro/Peter Cavallero or similar surname in California censuses... but all birthyear very different... also I try about Giovanni/ Giobatta/ Nicolini also mispelled... but no luck, after the John already posted here, the only similar for age, for name, for year of immigration is the Battista.... here is the link of census in 1920.. but you say me that Massachusetts > Berkshire > Adams > District 6 is not an record probable .. however .. perhaps can suggest you something http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/954/ ... 9206pk.jpg
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Laura, are 3 Pietro/Peter Cavallero or similar surname in California censuses... but all birthyear very different... also I try about Giovanni/ Giobatta/ Nicolini also mispelled... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH