Schifano Surname in Chiusa Sclafani Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Schifano Surname in Chiusa Sclafani Sicily

Post by figaro66 »

Hello To all, I Have been on the Hunt for Innocenza Shifano for quite a while. I had a Marriage record for her and Geatano Cutrera in 1764 San Martino Church in Corleone, The record did not tell me who her parents were. I recently had the record Translated and it says she was Born in CHIUSA SCLAFANI SICILY, I then Found her death record and it states that she passed in 1803 at the age of 64, Which would make her birth about 1739, It also states her parents are Mariano & Maria Schifano. I went to the records in that town and can not find anything on her birth or her parents marriage to allow me to go back. Can anyone give me a Lead. I would greatly Appreciate it :) :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Schifano Surname in Chiusa Sclafani Sicily

Post by PeterTimber »

Obviously if the Stato Civile has no record then it might be that there are no civil records for the early dates you mention. Perhaps church records can be brought to bear upon your inquiry. The church may be fortunate to still retain that LIBRO D'ANIME(Book of Souls) but with a population of 3,000 + the church may be serviced by a circuit priest so the archidiocese maybe the source to contact.

Contact can be made thru the website www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2046915
This is the Palermo Diocese of Monreale for records dating 1531-1998 Peter
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Can you post the page link to the death record of Innocenza Shifano or the record

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figaro66 »

Hey Marty!!!!! Long time. How ahave you been??? Glad you answered on my post. Will do :)
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figaro66 »

Innocenti Schifano & Caetani Cutrera Marriage record.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figaro66 »

Innocenti Schifano & Caetani Cutrera Marriage record.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figaro66 »

The first record is the death record, it tells me who her parents are the second record is her Marriage record and it was translated to me. The translater is positive that it says she was from Chiusa Sclafani.
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figaro66 »

The Marriage record was transcribe as follows { It says he (Gaetano Cutrera) was the natural and legitimate son of the late Josephi [Giuseppe] and Petrae [Pietra] Cutrera. Innocenzia [Innocentia] Schifano was unmarried [innuba] from the Land (Town) of [can't read it ~ Terrae C____?] and from some other diocese [alia diocesi] ~ they were married [coniuncti fuerunt].

The word at the top of the record is Eod. short for Eodem, which means the date was the same as the previous record. You have to look at the record[s] before this one to see what the date was.

The start of the record gives the priest's name and states that marriage banns were posted on three consecutive feast days before the marriage, on the 5th and 26th of August and the second of "this" month, indicating that "this" month must have been September. Finally Luigi Genovese posted this translation (This record clearly states that Innocenzia was from Chiusa Sclafani: terre Cluse)

Death Record!! Day twenty third of August AD 1803 Record 40
Innocenza Cutrera, age 64, wife of Gaetano, daughter of Maria-
no and Maria Schifano, husband and wife. After having been fortified by communion from Reverend ___ Don Benedetto she died and was buried in the Church of the Conception, of the Carmelite Fathers.!

Contact me at genealogytips@aol.com
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

figaro66 wrote:The first record is the death record, it tells me who her parents are the second record is her Marriage record and it was translated to me. The translater is positive that it says she was from Chiusa Sclafani.
Just an FYI - Both records that you have posted are the marriage record. :)

T.
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figaro66 »

Thank you for seeing that, Here is the death record
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Went through Chiusa Sclafani church of San Nicolò di Bari Indice (Battesimi) 1725-1752 didn't see any Schifano child baptized with parents of Mariano and Maria Schifano

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figaro66 »

Thanks Marty, I tried to search as well. :( Appreciate it.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps if you try contacting the CURIA VESCOVILE, VICARIO GENERALE in Corleone they might be able to cut you a break. The complete address is located in Paginebianche.com. Peter
~Peter~
figaro66
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figaro66 »

Thank you Peter, Will do :)