Help - New Ellis Island Website Unworkable

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Help - New Ellis Island Website Unworkable

Post by rp76226 »

Ellis island changed their website forcing me to re-register since the username is now an email address now and was not an email address before. So I re-registered and got "verified". To get to "Passenger" Search, you must move your cursor to "Ellis Island" in the middle of the screen shown. Then Passenger search and other options appear below. When you move your cursor toward passenger search, it and all the other options disappear so that you cannot perform the search. Also, the separate Searching Ellis Island" website takes you to this new "beta" Ellis island website that does not work.
Somehow, on one of my many tries, I did manage to get passenger search to appear, put a name in it, and got several large boxes with that name and their individual arrival dates, but not the date born which I used to get and is quite helpful. Clicked on one of the boxes to a see passenger record and it came up dark with a clock that never went away. Later, I tried again and could not get that far again which wasn't far enough in the first place.
Has anyone figured out how to use this replacement website and also the Searching Ellis Island website?
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Re: Help - New Ellis Island Website Unworkable

Post by Joannsalvo »

I got in.

On the right you will see, Select View, with 2 boxes under it. Select the 2nd box, List View.
It will display the manifest (s).

Under Action:
Hold the pointer on the icons
Passenger Record
Ship Image
Ship manifest
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

rp76226 wrote:Ellis island changed their website forcing me to re-register since the username is now an email address now and was not an email address before. So I re-registered and got "verified". To get to "Passenger" Search, you must move your cursor to "Ellis Island" in the middle of the screen shown. Then Passenger search and other options appear below. When you move your cursor toward passenger search, it and all the other options disappear so that you cannot perform the search. Also, the separate Searching Ellis Island" website takes you to this new "beta" Ellis island website that does not work.
Somehow, on one of my many tries, I did manage to get passenger search to appear, put a name in it, and got several large boxes with that name and their individual arrival dates, but not the date born which I used to get and is quite helpful. Clicked on one of the boxes to a see passenger record and it came up dark with a clock that never went away. Later, I tried again and could not get that far again which wasn't far enough in the first place.
Has anyone figured out how to use this replacement website and also the Searching Ellis Island website?
What I have found is that when you place your cursor over the "i" in the upper right corner of the BOX you mention, you get additional information about the passenger, including the age.
You can also click on the links toward the bottom of the box to see the Passenger Record, Ship Image, (more importantly) the ship manifest.

T.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

My suggestion would be to search using Steve Morse's site (stevemorse.org) rather than on the new LibertyEllis site which thus far I've found exceedingly frustrating. Morse's site at least for the time being allows you to use filters (approx. year of birth, arrival year or year ranges for same criteria, and others) which seem to have disappeared from the new Ellis site. Also search results are displayed 50 per page and you can click on those you're interested in which are linked to the LibertyEllis site.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Preludes to rip offs seems to be the direction ellisisland is heading. I wonder who are the "padrones" of all this money making schemes? Any names in the wind or is it a conglomerate? As we speak a few years ago I had obtained 8,241 titles to books written by Italian authors all about every conceivable subject in Italy and foolishly only ran of "A"'s an left the rest to favorites which now apparently no longer exists and I am advised that the listing is something "that I'm afraid there's not much we can do about that." The current listing(?) is 1,300 books written by Italians about Italy but the 8,241 titles to books have been "changed" So another blow has been struck against Freedom, Democracy and knowledge leaving us open to possible positive paranoia!
~Peter~
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

The Steve Morse site, which was all that I normally used and really liked, now brings you back to the new Ellis island website with all its problems. A new problem I found is that moving the cursor over a ship manifest enlargens it which normally would be good, but the page constantly moves even when you are not moving the cursor. It is also difficult when the page is larger to scroll to the right to see now hidden parts of the document.