Help Locating Estratto di Nascita

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dojo
Rookie
Rookie

Help Locating Estratto di Nascita

Post by dojo »

I need help or suggestions locating the birth record of my great grandfather. He immigrated to the US in 1910 and naturalized in 1939. I requested his naturalization information, and the city of birth says San Benedetto in Guarano. However, I contacted the comune (San Pietro in Guarano) to request his birth extract, and they said they don't have record of anyone with his name and birthdate (the man also searched a broad time period of about 15 years) in any of their frazioni. I also provided his parents names.

If anyone has any ideas on how to locate the record, please share.

ps. I also contacted the consulate and they directed me to contact the comune.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Help Locating Estratto di Nascita

Post by adelfio »

What is his name and birth year?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

By 1910, your GGF's place of birth should also be noted on his ship's manifest, in addition to "last place of residence". Sometimes these are two different comuni. Let us know if you need help locating a ship manifest.
TerraLavoro
dojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dojo »

His name is Giovanni Rocco born April 20, 1891.

Yes, can you provide help locating the ship manifest. Do you recommend the Ellis Island databases?

Thank you for your quick replies and help.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Did he live in Cleveland OH, wife's name Carmela? If so, this is likely his marriage license. Right hand page, top image.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1614804

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
dojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dojo »

Yes. Thank you for the search, I have copies of his marriage record already given from my aunts and uncles. Also, that link doesn't load for me.

I found ship information. But it just says last place of residence was San Pietro in Guarano. The correct year of arrival was 1909.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

San Benedetto in Guarano was a frazione of San Pietro in Guarano. You might want to try the Parish priest. Usually the baptism took place in the church closest to the City Hall so it might be in the parish in San Pietro rather than the church in San Benedetto. You might also want to check the military conscription lists at the State Archives. If he was 19 when he emigrated he might not have served, so they would be looking for him!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If you feel like the comune didn't do a through search get the Registri dello stato civile di San Pietro in Guarano (Cosenza), 1770-1910 from Family History Library birth film heres the info you need
Nati 1866-1900 Family History Library International Film#1640603 Items 2-3

FAMILY HISTORY LOCATOR
https://familysearch.org/locations/centerlocator

ORDERING FILMS FROM FHL
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... ory_Center

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

In some of these small towns births took place elsewhere and were registered later when the family moved back to town permanently. Yesterday I had a family of casual labourers who worked in another town and had two children there in 1921 and 1922. They did not appear in the index of the supposed town of birth for either year. It was only when we looked at their Personal Record cards that we saw it was noted that the births which took place in another Comune, were registered in the Comune of residence in 1925 and were recorded in the birth register for 1925, Parte II.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
dojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dojo »

@ItalySearcher thanks for the info, I've thought about asking for some information from local parishes. He was only 17 when he came to the US as well, a few months before his 18th birthday

@adelfio thanks for the links, I will look into their microfilms. Do these contain more comuni than just San Pietro in Guarano?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that the clerk in San Pietro in Guarano no relayed the Birth certificate because some info may be incorrect...
Giovanni came in USA with the cousin Luisa Rocco and joining at Eugenio Rocco ( Luisa brother) uncle in Cleveland OH
First Name : Giovanni
Last Name : Rocco
Nationality : Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence : Cosenza, S. Pieto in Guarano
Date of Arrival : February 7th, 1909
Age at Arrival : 17y
Marital Status : Single
Ship of Travel : San Giorgio
Port of Departure : Naples
Manifest Line Number : 0009

http://libertyellisfoundation.org/passe ... 5pZmVzdCI7
I believe that the father name was Bernardo... if you provided 20 Apr 1891 and the clerk no found the Birth act maybe he can search in all months of 1891 or 1892, but .. surely Giovanni was born in San Pietro in Guarano... best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

suanj is right, often for citizenship purposes they will not supply a certificate if you have given information that is incorrect. Write again and this time provide 1890-1892 with no day or month.
Provide an addressed envelope and send a copy of some photo ID. Be sure to ask for a certificate for citizenship purposes.
Ann Tatangelo
dojo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dojo »

@susanj yes, his father's name is Bernardo. after not locating the birth record for the date provided, he searched a broader range from 1881-1899 for me and came up with nothing still. Do you think it would help if I searched a range for his parents birth records, or possibly his cousin he travelled with? And possibly search out from there with a complete family record?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Here you go try this
OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di atti di nascita di Giovanni Rocco il 1890-1892 di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOUR NAME. Sono un cittadino americano discendente da Italiani e sto cercando di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere il Vostro aiuto, poiche` mi necessita l’estratto dell’atto di nascita, in formato internazionale di:Giovanni Rocco nato a San Pietro in Guarano il 1890-1892
Nome e cognome del padre: Bernardo Rocco
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty

Marty
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

On re reading the posts from 'dojo' I think that if the clerk went out of his way already to look for this birth record another letter is not going to help.
I did some research this week and searched for a birth record for a person born in 1903. It was found in the book for 1921. When the family returned to the town of residence after working away for many years they registered their children in the town of residence. It didn't change the fact that they were born in another town, marriage records etc. show the correct information but it did affect where and in what year we found the record. If the family were 'bracciante' then there is a possibility he was born elsewhere.
Ask the clerk to try the Lista di Leva (if he has them) or contact the State Archives for them to search. Contact me privately and I will phone them for you. No charge!
Ann Tatangelo