More Bad Info Received -- This Time Jure Matrimony

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

More Bad Info Received -- This Time Jure Matrimony

Post by jennabet »

First off, I would like to encourage anyone who has received misleading/bad information from other websites claiming to have "experts" on Italian citizenship to please make this information public so that applicants can choose wisely or seek out additional opinions because as many of you know, substantial fees are now involved in the recognition process.

For example, the following:

"I thought I might give you an update on my mother obtaining her Italian citizenship through marriage. She has made an appointment with the Italian consulate next month. The consulate has informed her that she still needs to apply for citizenship as it is not obtained automatically if she did not apply for it at the time. She needs to bring her birth and marriage certificates to apply to recognize her rights. There is also a fee involved. From my understanding this is not the case".

Please note, the above is yet another example of why you are not an Italian citizen until recognition takes place but this person thought otherwise based, once again, on bad information.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: More Bad Info Received -- This Time Jure Matrimony

Post by carubia »

This is yet another example of muddled thinking on the part of consular staff on Italian citizenship law. On the one hand the person claims she's not an Italian citizen yet, but then they say she needs only to submit her birth and marriage certs and pay the fee. This is not the procedure for someone who wants to obtain Italian citizenship through marriage - that involves, e.g., criminal checks and a 2+-year wait for the application to be approved. Rather, the requirements as described are exactly those for a recognition of citizenship acquired through marriage prior to 1983.