looking for great-grandmother's manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

looking for great-grandmother's manifest

Post by elmosgirl »

Here's hoping fellow forum-members can offer some direction on finding a manifest. After years (and years) of searching, I'm almost ready to give up!

By process of elimination using collateral research, and with supportive documents received from Italy that verify important facts, this is what I've been able to determine:

1) Three people traveled together: Giovanna PEDONE age 34 (mother), Assunta CORRADO(possibly Maria or Ma Assunta), age 3, and Antonio CORRADO, age 7.

It is believed, based on a manifest, that the father, Francesco, arrived in 1891. Whether or not he returned to Italy to accompany the family's passage the next year is unknown.

2) They traveled to New York from Naples, most likely between late April to early September,1892. I am inclined to think from the then-3-year-old's story their passage was prior to mid-August, 1892, but of course I don't know.

3) Searching Ancestry and Ellis Island records has not turned them up, even as more records were downloaded to those sites through the years.

Any ideas, suggestions or direction will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Noel
carubia
Master
Master

Re: looking for great-grandmother's manifest

Post by carubia »

Do you the town in which they lived in Italy? I assume that Napoli is only the port of embarkation and not necessarily where they lived.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: looking for great-grandmother's manifest

Post by Tessa78 »

elmosgirl wrote:Here's hoping fellow forum-members can offer some direction on finding a manifest. After years (and years) of searching, I'm almost ready to give up!

By process of elimination using collateral research, and with supportive documents received from Italy that verify important facts, this is what I've been able to determine:

1) Three people traveled together: Giovanna PEDONE age 34 (mother), Assunta CORRADO(possibly Maria or Ma Assunta), age 3, and Antonio CORRADO, age 7.

It is believed, based on a manifest, that the father, Francesco, arrived in 1891. Whether or not he returned to Italy to accompany the family's passage the next year is unknown.

2) They traveled to New York from Naples, most likely between late April to early September, 1892. I am inclined to think from the then-3-year-old's story their passage was prior to mid-August, 1892, but of course I don't know.

3) Searching Ancestry and Ellis Island records has not turned them up, even as more records were downloaded to those sites through the years.

Any ideas, suggestions or direction will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Noel
Hi Noel! :-)

According to the 1900 US Census... (usually the census closest to arrival is the most accurate regarding the year)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1325221

Francesco (and family) immigrated in 1890.
The last child born in Italy was born in January 1888.
The first child born in Illinois was born in May 1892.

That would mean that they had to arrive prior to mid-August of 1892, but POSSIBLY after April 1892.
If, as you say, Francesco traveled in 1891, it would have had to have been the latter part. :-)
The census indicates that Francesco filed papers for naturalization. That may be the way to go to narrow down town of origin, and arrival dates...

Have been searching for this manifest with no luck as yet.

EDIT TO ADD:

I do not know if you have seen this record... may open a new path of research :-)
The 1892 Voter REgistration List for Chicago, IL
Listed is F. Corrado, 38 Ohio St., Chicago.
Born in Italy. Resident in Chicago for 1 yr.
His date of PAPERS (naturalization) is Oct. 1891 in DUTCHESS COUNTY COURT, NY

http://interactive.ancestry.com/6001/cv ... turnRecord

T.