Calling Papers

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Calling Papers

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Does anyone know the difference between the following documents which basically seemed to be used for the same purpose:

Atto di Richiamo (act of recall)
Atto di Chiamata (act of calling)

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Calling Papers

Post by erudita74 »

previously posted by suanj

Re: Translation help please - STATI UNITI D'AMERICA

Postby suanj » 16 Oct 2013, 17:37

What does "Recall" mean?

the "Atto di Richiamo" is a legal act (by notary) = call notice

whereby a italian resident in USA or other foreign country, which claims to be the sponsor and it provides a written guarantee, for the legal immigration of his relatives in USA or other foreign country.

suanj
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you Erudita. I had read Suanj's post before I starting this thread and I've since been searching and have found some more information about the Atto di Richiamo which basically confirms what Suanj has said. However, I haven't been able to find anything about the Atto di Chiamata anywhere. Both these documents were used either by a husband or other (normally a person with either permanent residency or citizenship) to begin the migration process, of the person being “called”, to the “foreign” country that the “sponsor”/”guarantor” was living in. I'm trying to understand why there would be two documents, with the same purpose, but with different names. Maybe one preceded the other in the migration process? Or maybe the Atto di Richiamo was specifically used for a wife and children, and the Atto di Chiamata was just for other family members? I really don't know, but I would certainly like to know this.

Angela :)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Atto di Chiamata and Atto di Richiamo

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I am still interested to learn if there was a difference between these two documents or if anyone has had any experience with either of these when used for immigration purposes.

Angela
thomasusa80

Post by thomasusa80 »

We are even now fascinated to master in the event there was clearly a difference among those two docs or even in the event any individual has already established any kind of expertise along with possibly of the any time for immigration functions.
_Edwordstephen_
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

thomasusa80 wrote:We are even now fascinated to master in the event there was clearly a difference among those two docs or even in the event any individual has already established any kind of expertise along with possibly of the any time for immigration functions.
It is perplexing. Over the last couple of weeks I have been able to locate info about the Atto di Chiamata which I am still sifting through. It was also known as a "nomination form".

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's a sample of the form which I just found:

http://books.google.com/books?id=dECY9R ... &q&f=false

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you Erudita. I have already seen this. I spent a lot of time last week doing another search and Australia was basically the only country that I was able to find any information about the Atto di Chiamata. Maybe it was an Australian thing? It did also however mention the Atto di Richiamo and they were both called sponsorship papers. Because the Atto di Chiamata was also called a "nomination" document I'm thinking possibly the Atto di Chiamata started the process. The person who was calling their relative completed the Chiamata form and applied to their local consulate indicating that they would take responsibility for sponsoring etc. Once that was sorted then the Richiamo was prepared by a notary finalising/legalising the promise to sponsor????? Just my thinking here. It would be great to know for sure.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
I guess more research will have to be done on this topic, but we have already seen a sample on this forum of an atto di richiamo that was prepared in NY so, if the two types of documents were, in fact, related, then the atto di chiamata might not have been purely an Australian document.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Erudita, looking at the Atto di Chiamata that you've posted here which has three Italian stamps at the bottom which have then been stamped twice with a rubber stamp. Can you tell whether these were stamped in Italy? I was puzzled about this last week when I found this. To me it looks like they were just stamped in Australia. (I think that they are exactly the same as the one on the right hand side which has been stamped by the Consulate in Adelaide?).

Angela

BTW: I've just seen your recent post here. We are both posting at the same time. Thanks. I'll keep going with it :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
It does seem to me also that all of the stamps were put there in Australia.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:Angela
It does seem to me also that all of the stamps were put there in Australia.
Erudita
Thanks Erudita. I might get back to you on this one.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Function and purpose – Atto di Chiamata nominations and landing permits

From National Archives Australia site:
... The Atto-di-Chiamata nomination form is a declaration of the capacity of the sponsor to support the nominees in material terms so that they do not become charges of the State.  The nomination form contains the name, place and date of birth of both the sponsor and the nominee.  The nominees are mainly Italian migrants.  The landing permits contain the name, age, nationality, place of residence of migrant including name and address of person who is guaranteeing their maintenance on arrival.

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNR ... s_no=D1987

Atto di Richiamo (Call Notice) – from Wikipedia???
...In the early 1920s Italians had found that it was not difficult to enter Australia, as there were no visa requirements. The Amending Immigration Act of 1924 prohibited the entry of migrants unless they had a written guarantee completed by a sponsor, an Atto di richiamo ('Call notice'). In this case, any migrant could come to Australia free of charge. Without a sponsor, the required landing money was ten pounds until 1924 and forty since 1925....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Australian
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Have you seen this reference?

http://books.google.com/books?id=LfpCAQ ... ne&f=false

Angela -I have found various references for the atto di chiamata for Italian emigration to other countries too such as Algeria, Brazil, so it wasn't a document solely for Italians emigrating to Australia

I have a lot more research to do on this.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you Erudita. No, I can't recall seeing this link. I copied and pasted various links to both records earlier in the week which I need to sit down and go through again. I sat down for a little while yesterday looking for an actual "definition" of the documents and came up with these two I've posted which relate to Australia. I tried the Nara site too but nothing came up about the Chiamata just the Richiamo.

Angela