Surnames: Manno, Saladino, D'Alessandro, Arcura

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Innes

Surnames: Manno, Saladino, D'Alessandro, Arcura

Post by Innes »

I am looking for info on these surnames from Camporeale, Sicily.

Giuseppe Manno was my great grandfather. Wife Francesca Saladino. Married around 1899?

Diana Innes
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Surnames: Manno, Saladino, D'Alessandro, Arcura

Post by wldspirit »

You have completed US research? You are looking for birth/marriage and family history in Sicily? You need an address to send for records? Or looking to connect with relatives still in Sicily? Please be more specific in your request for info........
wldspirit
Innes

Post by Innes »

The above referenced surnames are all from Camporeale.

Guiseppe Manno and his wife Francesca Saladino Manno emigrated to the US around 1901.

Giuseppe's father was Lorenzo Manno who died in Camporeale. His wife was Geatana Rizzuto (Manno) She evnetually emigrated to the U.S.

I am going to Camporeale in March 2006 and would like to find any living relatives.

I emailed the City Hall there but they have not contacted me yet.
Are records kept at the local churches?

Diana
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If you are interested in researching past family history, the Lds library has good resources available for your town of origin. Microfilm can be rented and viewed at a library near you. I am impressed with the dates covered,
although at a loss as to the cross reference with Trapani...if I weren't so tired.. :( ... I would look into that further. Here is the link for microfilm:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Records are held by the comune as well as the church, but not all churches are cooperative with researchers. All you can do is try.....

To locate current persons with same surnames, try the following two sites.
http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html
and
http://elenco.libero.it/elenco/indexAva ... 5D0B9C8655

cognome=surname
comune=town
trova/cerca=search

I like Elenco, enter the surname in the lower right hand corner and it will bring up a map of Italy showing the distribution of the name, click on the area of interest and it will then bring up a screen breaking the name down by province, then by town.
good luck,
wldspirit
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Innes wrote:I am looking for info on these surnames from Camporeale, Sicily.

Giuseppe Manno was my great grandfather. Wife Francesca Saladino. Married around 1899?

Diana Innes
Hi There,

First, let me say that Wldspirit gave you great clues. It will also be a big help to use the microfilm to conduct your research before you go to Italy. The records could give you the name of the Road your ancestors once lived on as well it will help you locate more information when you are in Italy such as a church your ancestors were baptized in.

Also, I like to ask if your ancestors settled in NY and if they had children Paul, Charles, Anthony, and Lawrence? Just curious.

I wish you luck with your research.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
BenKline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BenKline »

Dunno how old these posts are, but I did a search on MANNO and this came up.

The wife of my great-grandfather Antonio Croce was a Carmella J. Manno. They married on Oct. 10 1921 in America.