Salvatore Gagliano from Napoli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Salvatore Gagliano from Napoli

Post by Gags »

Hi,

Thank you for all the great work on this forum!
I’ve been trying for years to find more information about my family, but I can’t get much more on my great grandparents.
I’d love to see more documents, such as birth & marriage certificates, as well as know where they lived in Napoli.

Here’s what I know so far:

Great grandfather: Salvatore Gagliano
Born: around 1888
Immigration year: 1906, to NYC
From the 1920 US Census:
Laborer (we think he was actually a baker)
Illiterate
Lived on First Ave in Italian Harlem NYC – my dad confirmed this as well as the family members listed

Great grandmother: Amelia (maiden name Fiore)
Born: around 1887
Immigration year: 1912
I couldn’t find anything on her on ship documents from Ellis Island. I figured it would be easy to find her as two of their four kids (Eugene, born ~1906 and Alveria, born ~1908) were born in Italy and I assumed would’ve traveled with her.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!
Ryan
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Salvatore Gagliano from Napoli

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Ryan!

Here is the arrival manifest for Amelia Fiore, wife traveling with Salvatore Gagliano, and with children, Igino and Albina. Their last place of residence was S. Maria Capua Vetere in Caserta.
They are leaving Salvatore's brother, Carmine, in S. Maria Capua Vetere; and they are going to Salvatore's brother Michele at 106 St. in NYC.

Massachusetts, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1963 about Amelia Fiore
Name: Amelia Fiore
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885
Birth Place: S maria capua, Caserta
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Romanic
Arrival Date: 9 Mar 1908
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Michele Gagliano
Last Residence: Caserta

Link to the image on Ancestry.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/8745/MA ... rchResults

And if you don't have Ancestry... here is the image. Click once to enlarge and again to magnify. They are at the top of the image.
Page 1

Page 2

T.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Wow! Thank you for the quick post, Tessa!
Amazing - my dad told me his aunt's name was Albina, not Alveria.
And my whole family grew up in NYC, so I always assumed they came into Ellis Island. This solves a big mystery for me, because I couldn't find a definitive manifest that I could link to them!
I have to renew my membership to Ancestry to find out more!

I'd like to know more about their parents, etc. If anyone has info from the Italian records, that would be fantastic!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Gags wrote:Wow! Thank you for the quick post, Tessa!
Amazing - my dad told me his aunt's name was Albina, not Alveria.
And my whole family grew up in NYC, so I always assumed they came into Ellis Island. This solves a big mystery for me, because I couldn't find a definitive manifest that I could link to them!
I have to renew my membership to Ancestry to find out more!

I'd like to know more about their parents, etc. If anyone has info from the Italian records, that would be fantastic!
Located the birth act of Igino Gagliano in 1905 (agrees with age 3 on the 1908 manifest :-) )
Dated 21 March 1905 at 10 AM at the town office in SMCV
Before the official appeared
Salvatore Gagliano, age 29, manual laborer residing in this city, to declare that at 7 AM on the 17th of the current month, at the place at Via Mazzacchi(?), no number, to Amelia Fiore, his wife, housewife, residing with him, was born a male child who he presented to the official and to whom was given the name IGINO GIACOMO RAFFAELE.
Witnesses to the record: Giuseppe Masucci, 28, manufacturer/trader; and Luigi Iannotta, 46, clerk.
They signed the record.
**** on the signature it identifies Salvatore’s father as Luigi (Salvatore Gagliano di Luigi) :-)

Link to the record at familysearch.org
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,954416901

Birth Act of Albina Gagliano in 1907 October (making her about 4 months old on the manifest)

Dated 23 October 1907 at 11:30 AM at the town office in SMCV
Before the official appeared
Salvatore Gagliano, age 30, confectioner, residing in this city, to declare that at 10:30 PM on the 19th of the current month at the place at Via Tari, no number, to Amelia Fiore, his wife, housewife, residing with him, was born a female child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name ALBINA IRENE MARIA
Witnesses to the record: Luigi Iannotta, 48, clerk; and Alfredo Marcello, 21, landowner.
They all signed.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,954416901

On the 1910 US Census, Salvatore is a Pastrymaker
He and Amelia have been married 10 years making their approx. year of marriage 1900.
She states that she has had 4 children and 2 are living.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7884/44 ... turnRecord

Will look for a marriage in SMCV, and possible deaths for 2 children.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

BIRTH of Salvatore Gagliano in 1876

Dated 31 January 1876 at 11:42 AM at the town office in SMCV
Appearing before the official was Luigi Gagliano, age 47, jeweler/goldsmith residing in this city, to declare that at 2:30 PM, on the 30th of the current month, at the place at Piazza del Popolo #32, to Maria Buttiglieri, daughter of deceased Angelo, age 25, his wife, housewife residing with him, was born a male child who he presented to the official and to whom was given the name SALVATORE
Witnesses to the record: Pasquale Ricca, 33, shopkeeper; and Pasquale Danise, 36, landowner.

NOTATION on record:

On 20 June 1901, Act #6 in San Tammaro, he married Amelia Fiore

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349529401

Marriage of Salvatore Gagliano and Amelia Fiore in 1901

Dated 20 June 1901 at 1:05 PM at the town office, open to the public.
Appeared:
1 – Salvatore Gagliano, age 25, confectioner, born in S. Maria Capua Vetere, residing in SMCV, son of Luigi residing in SMCV, and of Maria Bottiglieri (Buttiglieri on his birth record) residing in SMCV
AND
2 – Amelia Fiore, age 16, housewife born in Napoli, and residing in San Tammaro; daughter of deceased Andrea who resided in his lifetime in Napoli, and of Albina Pecoraro residing in San Tammaro.
Publication of the banns of marriage were posted on 26 May and 2 June [in San Tammaro] and in Comune of Santa Maria Capua Vetere on 2 and 9 of current month of June. Present to give her consent to the marriage was the mother of the bride.
Both Salvatore and Amelia signed the record along with the witnesses.

Ancestry link
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1893/31 ... 1113-00858

T.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Tessa, you're amazing!!
You found so much incredible information - I can't stop smiling!!
The fact that I now know which towns they came from is unbelievable!!
And looking up in the Pagine Bianche, I see the family name persists - I'll next look to see if the current folks might even live in the same places as my ancestors. You also substantiated the notion that my great grandpa was a baker. And I now see how the names Albina & Amelia were passed on! This is great!!

Ringrazio Molto!!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Gags wrote:Tessa, you're amazing!!
You found so much incredible information - I can't stop smiling!!
The fact that I now know which towns they came from is unbelievable!!
And looking up in the Pagine Bianche, I see the family name persists - I'll next look to see if the current folks might even live in the same places as my ancestors. You also substantiated the notion that my great grandpa was a baker. And I now see how the names Albina & Amelia were passed on! This is great!!

Ringrazio Molto!!!
Happy to have been of help, Ryan! :-)

Here is the Allegati (attachments) for the Publication of Marriage Banns in San Tammaro
It holds several documents needed for the marriage. It begins with a cover sheet, then the extract of birth of Salvatore Gagliano (which is the same as the act I posted above).
Then you will find an extract of the Death of Andrea Fiore, Amelia's father, in Napoli; AND an extract of Amelia's birth IN NAPOLI :-)
Link to Allegati at familysearch.org
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349532501

~~~Translation of Andrea Fiore Death in Napoli/Fuorigrotta in 1898
Dated 12 January 1898 at 11:10 Am at the town office in Napoli Fuorigrotta, appeared Gennaro Viglietti, 28, landowner residing in Fuorigrotta; and Pietro Zofreo, 27, pharmacist residing in Fuorigrotta, to declare that at 11:30 PM yesterday (11th), died Andrea Fiore, age 61, clerk residing in Fuorigrotta, born in Quindici to deceased Saverio, clerk, residing in his lifetime in Quindici; and to deceased Orsola[no surname given], housewife residing in her lifetime in Quindici; husband of Albina Pecoraro.
Witnesses to the record: Raffaele Landriscina, 49, clerk; and Bernardo De Luca, 58, landowner.

~~~Translation of Birth Act of Amelia Fiore in 1884
Dated 24 December 1884 in the town office in Napoli, Village of Fuorigrotta
Before the official appeared Andrea Fiore, age 48, gamekeeper, residing in Fuorigrotta, to declare that at 7 AM on the 23rd of the current month, at the house at “luogo ditto Astroni”, to Albina Pecoraro, housewife, his legitimate wife residing with him, was born a female child who was presented and to whom was given the name AMELIA.

T.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Hi Tessa,

Thank you for all the incredible info! I'm trying to duplicate and expand your searches on familysearch.org, but I'm having little luck! Even if I type in Amelia Fiore, Napoli, and search records, it turns up nothing. Would you have any tips?

What I'm trying to do next is work past to present from both Carmine's family in Italy and from Michele's family in the US. I thought searching on Michele Gagliano, living in NYC in the early 1900's would be easy...No luck...

Thank you again for all the help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Gags wrote:Hi Tessa,

Thank you for all the incredible info! I'm trying to duplicate and expand your searches on familysearch.org, but I'm having little luck! Even if I type in Amelia Fiore, Napoli, and search records, it turns up nothing. Would you have any tips?

What I'm trying to do next is work past to present from both Carmine's family in Italy and from Michele's family in the US. I thought searching on Michele Gagliano, living in NYC in the early 1900's would be easy...No luck...

Thank you again for all the help!
The records I posted are not indexed as you might find in US records. You can not put in a name and have a list appear from a database. You will need to really search through the records, which are in Italian.
For instance, you can click on the link I provided for Salvatore's birth. This will bring you into the records for Santa Maria Capua Vetere, specifically for births in year 1876. SOMETIMES you will find the records have a written index at the beginning or end of each year/book of acts. If not, then you will need to search page by page for familiar family names.

You can use this link to access the records for Santa Maria Capua Vetere, births(nati), deaths(morti), marriages(matrimoni), etc. Not all years are there.
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043630

As for Michele GAgliano... he was listed at 106 ST. NYC on the ship arrival for Salvatore and family. IF he was also a baker... this may be the 1920 US Census for Michele and his family at East 118th St., NYC
http://interactive.ancestry.com/6061/43 ... bel=Return

Michael Gagliano
United States Census, 1920

Name: Michael Gagliano
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1920
Event Place: Manhattan Assembly District 20, New York, New York, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1905
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Michael Gagliano Head M 34 Italy
Antoinette Gagliano Wife F 37 Italy
Louis Gagliano Son M 2 New York
Albert Gagliano Son M 1 New York
Louis Gagliano Nephew M 7 New York

AND a POSSIBLE WWI REgistration card for Michele at the same address on 188th St.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530

This card lists his birthdate as 7 June 1885. I will see if I can find it in SMCV to see if the parents' match those of Salvatore...

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

A great reference book for you (who could resist Tessa's abilities and charms?) is Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford R. Cole which is an deasy read chock full of information, illustrations and photgos of documents which you can read at your leisure and absorb information with greater understanding of the wonderful facets provided by her to your instant family tree. Peter
~Peter~
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Hi Tessa, Peter,

Thank you for the replies!
Technology tends to spoil us - I was hoping for more indexing of these great artifacts!
I'll get the book and also keep up my efforts! Just trying to mimic Tessa's results is educational!
I have a lot to learn...I was searching the US Census data, hoping to find Michele there, still in Italian Harlem...Tessa found it!

Thanks again,
Ryan
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I agree, Peter!!! :-D
A "must-have" book...

BTW - just edited my earlier post to list possible records (Census and WWI Card) for Michele in NYC.

EDIT TO ADD:
It appears to be the brother of Salvatore...
Here is the birth in SMCV in 1885
Michele Gagliano was born on 7 June 1885 in SMCV to
Luigi Gagliano, 54, jeweler; and to Maria Bottiglieri, his wife (Same parents :-) )
His full given name - MICHELE FRANCESCO BENEDETTO
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349537601

AND... Michele and family in Brooklyn in 1925 Census on Third St.
http://interactive.ancestry.com/2704/32 ... bel=Return

AND... World War II REgistration Card - still living at 18 Third St., Brooklyn in 1942
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1861144

T.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

You are unbelievable!!! Thank you again!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Gags wrote:You are unbelievable!!! Thank you again!!
Just on a roll! :-D

You are most welcome...

BTW - did Carmine immigrate to USA?

T.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Tessa78 wrote: BTW - did Carmine immigrate to USA?

T.
I thought you could tell me!! :lol:

I don't recall any mention of a Carmine in my family, but I can't be sure. In addition to seeing who else in my family is still in NYC, I was hoping to drill down the tree in SMCV to see who might still be there. I was going to start with Carmine.