Ippolito and Di Matteo from Trabia, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Ippolito and Di Matteo from Trabia, Sicily

Post by Marlena »

I have a great aunt, Carmela Di Matteo who came from Trabia on Feb 11, 1921 and on the passenger list it shows she is married to a much younger man, Nicolo Ippolito. They are going to see his father, Antonio in California, PA. Then, I have Nicolo's birth certificate with writing in the side bar that says something about Di Matteo, Carmela and a Bartolo. Bartolo is Carmela's father. Can you tell me what birth record says, specifically what the side bar info says and what might be the real connection between Carmela and Nicolo.

I know there was some scandal on their leaving Trabia, I'm hoping this might shed some light. I do not know Carmela's first husband or if they had children. Camela's parents were Salvatora Vallelunga and Bartolo Di Matteo.

Thanks you again for any help, Marlene
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ippolito and Di Matteo from Trabia, Sicily

Post by Tessa78 »

The side notation states that he married in Trabia with Carmela Di Matteo (daughter) of Bartolo. Year looks like 1920
Nicolo was born on 9 August to Antonino Ippolito, 32, peasant farmer, and to his wife Giuseppa Carmina(?)

T.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Thanks so much. Was it common to go back to birth records and make notations like this?
Trabia, Sicily: Rinella, Campagna, Rubino, DiMatteo, Vallelunga, Gattuccio, Canciamilla, Arena, Alario, Barone, Sunseri, Trapani, Turturice Bell, Lima, Romano, Spitaleri, Cancilla,Tardio, Novello Tomasello, Sunseri Pirotto, and D'Anna.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Tessa78 wrote:The side notation states that he married in Trabia with Carmela Di Matteo (daughter) of Bartolo. Year looks like 1920 Jan 23
Nicolo was born on 9 August 1895 to Antonino Ippolito, 32, peasant farmer, and to his wife Giuseppa Taormina

T.
On line image: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246770501

Len52mar, whenever possible, please post the link to the original image. This will help us to help you!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Livio :D Thanks for the second pair of eyes, and the link to a much clearer record!

Here is the birth act of Carmela Di Matteo in 1873
She was born on 1 January at 2 AM to
Salvadora Vallelunga who is the daughter of Giuseppe, age 36, who resides with her husband in this town at Sezione della Madrice?
And to Bartolomeo Di Matteo who is the son of Ignazio, age 43, farmer
Child was given the name CARMELA

The only marriage notation on Carmela’s record is to Nicolò Ippolito on 23 January 1920.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246770501

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

len52mar wrote:Thanks so much. Was it common to go back to birth records and make notations like this?
Yes. And often you have also the death notation!
This practice makes genealogists' job much easier. :lol:
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Thank you so, so much! I have been looking at the records online , but having a difficult time with the index, does it come after the information or before? Plus, the dates and registration numbers are hard for me to read. Thank you again!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

len52mar wrote:Thank you so, so much! I have been looking at the records online , but having a difficult time with the index, does it come after the information or before -sometimes before, sometimes after, sometimes not at all...? Plus, the dates and registration numbers are hard for me to read. Thank you again!
Post the link to the images you can not read and we will be happy to help!

T.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Tessa78 wrote:
len52mar wrote:I have been looking at the records online , but having a difficult time with the index, does it come after the information or before -sometimes before, sometimes after, sometimes not at all...
And sometimes the index comes in the middle of the records, or is broken up into multiple parts with some parts of the index coming in the records and others coming later.
Marlena
Elite
Elite

Post by Marlena »

Oh boy..... :( I've been going through records one at a time...found a few but, so time consuming!
Thanks !