James (G. Battista?) Lanzarone birth records, Italian names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

James (G. Battista?) Lanzarone birth records, Italian names

Post by BlissIs »

Hi All
Seems Baldasarre Lanzarone and Grazzia Zummo Lanzarone may have had another child born about 1902, likely in San Margherita De Belice.

Marty had kindly found siblings:
Birth record of Maria Lanzarone sister of Antonino Lanzarone
INDEX#340
1893 Nov 18th in the town of Santa Margherita di Belice in a house on via Venoria birth of Maria Lanzarone daughter of Baldasarre Lanzarone age 34 and wife Grazia Zummo
PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349552002

FYI: I just discovered above link no longer holds data; is Ancestry.com standard pitch page.
If possible, better to include document in body of message.

I see a son, James, listed in 1920 US Federal Census, age 28, so born about 1902. He's who I am looking for. Any help is appreciated.

NAMES
Could he be brother G. Battista from passenger records? And does "G' refer to Giacommo? (sp?) Would James be a likely Americanization?
While I'm asking what is the Italian version of Antoinette, please? Antonina? Antonia? ?
Please, what would be possible original Sicilian versions of Americanized name, Tony?

I so appreciate being able to turn here when I have no access to ancestry nor film viewing where I reside.
Thanks in advance!
Best!
BlissIs
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
carubia
Master
Master

Re: James (G. Battista?) Lanzarone birth records, Italian na

Post by carubia »

BlissIs wrote:Seems Baldasarre Lanzarone and Grazzia Zummo Lanzarone may have had another child born about 1902, likely in San Margherita De Belice.
As you may have noticed from Marty's translation of the record you cite, the names are Baldassare and Grazia and the place is Santa Margherita di Belice, commonly abbreviated to Santa Margherita or SMB.
BlissIs wrote:Could he be brother G. Battista from passenger records? And does "G' refer to Giacommo? (sp?) Would James be a likely Americanization?
G. Battista means Giovan Battista, which is derived from Giovanni Battista, or John the Baptist. It is not Giacomo. The anglicization would be John if only the first part of the name was used. But you never know with anglicizations - some men named Girolamo in my family went by Charlie.
BlissIs wrote:While I'm asking what is the Italian version of Antoinette, please? Antonina? Antonia? ?
Yes, Antonina or Antonia. Antonina might be slightly more likely, but even in Italy the same woman might alternate between those 2 names, though they are distinct.
BlissIs wrote:Please, what would be possible original Sicilian versions of Americanized name, Tony?
Antonio or Antonino. In Sicily Antonino is more popular, or at least it was, but both names are common.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Thanks for name clarification, Carubia. Powerful names. Clarification of names means there were two sons for whom I am asking help to find birth records.

James born about 1902 and G. B. born about 1887 to Baldasarre and Grazia Lanzarone in SMB.

NAMES:
Charlie. Yes. I have found Baldasarre's renamed Benny, Benj., Willie, Bill and Barney.
What might James be?
Josephine more likely be Giuseppa or Giuseppina, please? Am still looking for parents of Castelvetrano's Giuseppa? Favara who married Antonino Lanzarone.

Thank you,
BlissIs
[/b]Searching Surnames: Favara Lanzarone Agnello Bonagiuso Zummo Perfumo Consoli Maggio LaRussa Buttafuoco Consoli Montegari Mineo
Locations: Brooklyn NY, Castelvetrano, Santa Margherita de Belice, Milano, Hoboken NJ, Akron OH, Massapequa NY
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Thanks for name clarification, Carubia. Powerful names. Clarification of names means there were two sons for whom I am asking help to find birth records.

James born about 1902 and G. B. born about 1887 to Baldasarre and Grazia Lanzarone in SMB.

NAMES:
Charlie. Yes. I have found Baldasarre's renamed Benny, Benj., Willie, Bill and Barney.
What might James be?
Josephine more likely be Giuseppa or Giuseppina, please? Am still looking for parents of Castelvetrano's Giuseppa? Favara who married Antonino Lanzarone.

Thank you,
BlissIs
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

"I see a son, James, listed in 1920 US Federal Census, age 28, so born about 1902. He's who I am looking for. Any help is appreciated."

edited to add comment--if he was 28 in 1920 he was born in 1892, not 1902.

If this is the correct 1910 census for the family, James' Italian name was likely Vincenzo. Vincenzo was frequently Americanized to James.
1910.jpg
Biff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1899 ship manifest for Baldassare and sons Vincenzo, born about 1892, and Giovan Battista, born about 1887.
1899.jpg
Biff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Vincenzo aka James Lanzarone 1891 birth record--born 26 Nov 1891.
record 299, bottom right image.

Giovan Battista 1887 birth record--born 2 April 1887
record 116, bottom left

Biff
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Here's Vincenzo Lanzarone's birth record from 1891:

His parents were Baldassare (age 31) and Grazia Zummo. He was born on 26 Nov.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

You beat me to it, Biff. And Giovan Battista, too.

BlissIs,
My GGF Baldassare was sometimes known as Barney and even John for a little while.

Josephine would usually be Giuseppa but sometimes Giuseppina. Keep in mind that many woman known as Giuseppina in America were actually Giuseppa on their birth records from Italy - Giuseppina was an uncommon name in 19th-c. Sicily.
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Biff and Carubia,

This is fabulous. First, Biff, you've got the right family. I found it interesting that Grazia is spelled with two z's in US census'. I have never seen that ship's list! The one I have been using only listed two brothers and the names had a line though them. I'm happy the trio traveled together. How brazen to make such a journey.

Thanks for the birth searches, ladies. Seems every few months I find another sibling. American as I am, I assumed Vincenzo is Vinny. Thanks for the light bulb hahaha

And, Carubia, I'll use name data for Giuseppa Antonina and Antonino Lanzarone next time I write to Castelvetrano. Perhaps I'll have some success; third letter will be a charm :-)

Holy smokes, I can't imagine baring the name of St. John The Baptist. These folks must have been the epitome of devout.

Much appreciation for your kind help!

Best!
BlissIs
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

You're welcome.

Vincenzo was anglicized as James because the "cenz" in the middle of the name sounds like "chains."

"Ladies"? I can understand you not knowing my gender since I'm only using a surname as a user name, but the other poster is Biff.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

BlissIs wrote:Holy smokes, I can't imagine baring the name of St. John The Baptist. These folks must have been the epitome of devout.

Much appreciation for your kind help!

Best!
BlissIs
Many Italian men at least in Calabria took the middle name "Maria" in honor of the Virgin Mary, i.e. Giuseppe Maria, Vincenzo Maria, et al. So if you see it used as a middle name do not mistake it for Mario.

Prego,
Biff
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Hey, thanks for additional information. Please accept my apologies for 'ladies' comment. I am sorry for my ignorance. And I have never heard of name 'Biff' before, either. Live and learn.

Many thanks, Gentlemen. And that you are!

Best!
BlissIs
BlissIs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BlissIs »

Hey, thanks for additional information. Please accept my apologies for 'ladies' comment. I am sorry for my ignorance. And I have never heard of name 'Biff' before, either. Live and learn.

Many thanks, Gentlemen. And that you are!

Best!
BlissIs