siblings had different last names?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

siblings had different last names?

Post by nuccia »

Is it possible for 2 sons to carry different laast names? I am looking for the last name Fuda of Locri(?) or Grotteria(?). Found a manifest from Mar 4, 1909 who staes that two brothers came over to U.S.A., father Natale but one was Rocco Vincenzo Fuda and the other was Rocco Mazzaferro. What could be some of the reasons for this?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: siblings had different last names?

Post by VaDeb »

Suggest giving us a link to the manifest in question.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here is the manifest...

page 1

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0187%2ETIF

page 2

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0187%2ETIF

First Name: Rocco Vincenzo
Last Name: Fuda
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Grotteri, Reggio Ca.
Date of Arrival: Mar 04, 1909
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0017

Rocco Mazzaferro's father is Natale Mazzaferro in Italy
Rocco Vincenzo Fuda's father is Natale Fuda in Italy

Does look odd though... maybe the Natale's mentioned are cousins... maybe both Natales share a common grandfather...

Here are my notes (from the other post) about the same manifest...
Other manifests of interest...
These records show 2 young men, a Fuda and an Angilletti on their way to Fort Erie, Ontario. They are listed as non landed immigrants (usually the case when their journey hasn’t ended... and off to Canada) It seems like they were both from Grotteria, RC

Rocco Vincenzo Fuda age 18 - Father in Italy is Natale. Rocco would be joining his cousin Vincenzo Fuda? in Fort Erie, ON
Cosimo Angilletti age 17 - Father in Italy is Domenico, joining cousin Domenico Commisso in Fort Erie, ON

First Name: Cosimo
Last Name: Angilletta
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Non Immigrant Alien
Date of Arrival: Mar 04, 1909
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0018
mfjp
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks, I thought so too...they all seem to be travelling together and are so close in age...Will keep looking though..
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nati93

Post by nati93 »

nuccia wrote:Thanks, I thought so too...they all seem to be travelling together and are so close in age...Will keep looking though..
hey! my name is natale mazzaferro! i also come from grotteria/locri. my father was born there and i was born in new jersey. not to be a downer but there has to be a million mazzaferros. if you find your family nickname i could ask my father about it, he would know. because so many italians have the same exact names, nicknames were given to each family. if you go to grotteria and ask for natale mazzaferro, no one will know what you are talking about but if you tell them your family name they will know. my family name is gungo (like junk) something to do with my grandfather. maybe we are related or connected in some way