Nicola & Carmela DiGiacomo of Molise, Isernia Carovilli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sophia071

Nicola & Carmela DiGiacomo of Molise, Isernia Carovilli

Post by Sophia071 »

These were my great grandparents. We would like to find out the names of their parents and siblings. Her maiden name was Fabrizzio.
They got married there in Italy and had at least 2 sons, Stefano and Giuseppe before they came to the USA and possibly a Giles & Michael.

Nicola came over with his oldest son Stefano, before the rest of family on the Princes Irene on December 9-27th, 1904 Naples-New York.
Said on manifest he was going to Krebs Indian Territory to see his brother Felice.
For some reason I found his wife, Carmela came over with all the kids and some that I didn't know were already born.
It says Carmela Fabrizio (wonder why she used her maiden name? running? hiding?)came over on the Koenig Albert, Nov. 9, 1905, with her kids:
Stefano age 8, Giuseppe age 6, Egidio age 3 and Michele age 1 yr?

My grandpa says he only recalls a lot of steps and having to hold on to his mother's dress because she "was carrying the baby". But I never even heard of that other child the 3 yr old. My grandpa was a coal miner in Krebs when he met my grandma another child of Swiss/Austrian coal miner immigrants.

Home for DiGiacomos & Fabrizio was Carovilli. Had other children after coming to US. Can anyone possibly connect these families in Italy. I know they had siblings and would love to find out their parents to continue to follow the lineage back into Europe.

Would also know what happened in that region to make so many leave. Did the mines close in that area. Was there war or religious persecution? Any tidbit would be greatly loved and may help with this mystery. Thank you for hanging in there as I ramble :oops:
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Nicola & Carmela DiGiacomo of Molise, Isernia Carovilli

Post by liviomoreno »

In Italy women keep their maiden name, this is why Carmela traveled as Carmela Fabrizio.
I do not understand why you are questioning about the 3yr child (Egidio), at the beginning of your post you say that Nocola and Carmela had 2 sons, Stefano and Giuseppe before they came to the USA and possibly a Giles & Michael, and she was traveling with 4 children Stefano, Giuseppe, Egidio and Michele. Egidio was Americanized in Giles...

in Dec 1904 Nicola traveled alone.
Sophia071

Post by Sophia071 »

Oh I did not know that. Thank you!
Well no one had ever made mention of that child Giles. We knew there was a brother, Michael but thought he was born in US. We knew of Stefano, he is buried in US near Nicola & Carmela. Have not found them in an early census either. And the didn't go anywhere but Krebs, Oklahoma USA. We just think they were escaping something as they refused to speak of the past as they were "bad times". Yes Nick had been over to the US a few times before as a laborer it said. He said he was a farmer. Thanks for your response.
Sophia071

Post by Sophia071 »

....I forgot to add that Nicola DiGiacomo had an older brother named Felice that went to the US in 1892. Their father may have been named Mauriziodi DiGiacomo in Carovilli d' Castiglione.
Adegiacomo

Post by Adegiacomo »

Sophia071, my husband shares the same great grandparents as you. We have recently been working on our family genealogy. We went to Krebs/McAlester this past weekend to visit with relatives that are grandchildren of Nicola & Carmela DiGiacomo.

My husbands father, Anthony DeGiacomo is son of Anthony & Edie DeGiacomo, who is son of Dominic & June DeGiacomo, Dominic was son of Nicola & Carmela DiGiacomo.

Which of Nicola & Carmela's children was your grandparent?

According to my husband's Aunt (Grandparents were Nicola & Carmela)
"Stefano & Michael are the only names that coincide with our family as children of Nicola & Carmela. Stefano is buried next to my grandparents in McAlester. The dates in the article match too." According to her the family came for the American Dream and to work in the Mines in Krebs.
Greeneyelady09

Post by Greeneyelady09 »

I just came across your post as I was researching my great-grandfather's genealogy. I'm wondering if your great-grandfather and mine are somehow related. I, too, am looking for the name of my great-grandfather's parents. My great-grandfather's name was Nicholas DiGiacomo. He and his wife, Jennie DiGiacomo, came from Carovilli, Italy around the turn of the century. After leaving Ellis Island, they were headed to Warren, Ohio to meet up with relatives but not speaking any English they weren't sure when to get off the train. They ended up getting off the train in Krebs, Oklahoma. Quite a long distance from any relatives. He and his wife lived there for many years (Nicholas made a living by working in the mines) raising their six children who were all born in Krebs. My grandmother, Sabina, was one of the six children and the reason why I've begun my search of my Italian heritage. If you have any information on who Nicola's brothers may have been, I'm quite interested to see if my great-grandfather may have been maybe an older brother. My great-grandfather was born July 26, 1875, in Carovilli, Italy. Just too many similarities between your story and mine to not check in to.
Adegiacomo

Post by Adegiacomo »

I have forgotten the names of the other children. I do know that they had 6 children (5 boys & 1 daughter). I will have to ask all the names, but the daughter's name was Rose Catherine (DeGiacomo) Peters. Here is the grave site and some additional information for great grandparents Nicola & Carmela. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=61650058
Adegiacomo

Post by Adegiacomo »

Adegiacomo wrote:I'm sorry this line should read like this...

My husbands father, Anthony DeGiacomo is the son of Dominic & June DeGiacomo, Dominic was son of Nicola & Carmela DiGiacomo.