Surname -TAFURI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Surname -TAFURI

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

I never really heard this last name before. Does not sound like a common Italian surname. Any thoughts on the ethnic origins of the name? It somehow does not sound as deriving from the Latin roots of Italian.
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Surname -TAFURI

Post by dominique426 »

gentilejoy@yahoo.com wrote:I never really heard this last name before. Does not sound like a common Italian surname. Any thoughts on the ethnic origins of the name? It somehow does not sound as deriving from the Latin roots of Italian.

Last name origin & meaning:
Italian (mainly southern): probably from an Arabic personal name, based on either ̣tafūr ‘jumper’ or ̣tayfūr, a species of small bird.

Read more on FamilyEducation: http://genealogy.familyeducation.com/su ... z2jj6QToga
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You can see from this Surname Distribution Map that the surname TAFURI is found in 192 towns. Much of the concentration is in the Campania Region, with many others found in Lombardi, Puglia, and northern Sicily :-)

http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... nhC0FNi3pc

T.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It is typical surname from the town of Salerno.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

This is very interesting regarding the name origin. @PippoM-and Tessa78, you each referenced Salerno and Campania. This confirms the location since this name is from my paternal family side who originated in Sala Consilina-Salerno, Campania. @dominique426-your link traces this name to Arabic origin. I must do further search on this for possible "Saracen" roots in this name. When I first heard the name-it somehow sounded like it has origins of Arab or Jewish roots, and not Italo-Latin. Thank you to all.
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

I have done some research on origins of the surname: "TAFURI". Appears to have origin relations to Italian Sephardic Judaism and Crypto Judaism.
http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.relig ... 75/mb.ashx
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

http://www.hebrewhistory.info/factpaper ... medici.htm

Above link -intriguing article on the Medici Dynasty and Italian Judaism (of which my paternal grandmother bears this name, and of which her mother -my paternal great grandmother was a TAFURI). This weblink site reinforces the Judaic roots of both surnames-MEDICI and TAFURI.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

According to "Dictionary of Italian Surnames" by Emidio De Felice, Tafuri is found in the South, and sporadically in Liguria. It probably derives from a medieval name of Arabic origin (found in Genoa in 1133 and 1158 as "Tafur" and "Tafar") maybe coming from "tayfuri" (dish maker or dealer) or "taifur" ("inconstant", "changeble"). So, it was originally a name from a job or a nickname, found in seaside areas, mostly influenced by Arabs and Saracens.
Jewish origin is not mentioned.

gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

:D Thank you Pippo. I must look into possible Arab/Saracen roots of name. Seems it did in fact originate during the Middle Ages or Medieval period in Italy of either Saracen or Judaic origins. Probably with either the Saracen and/or Jewish merchant trade dealers in the major seaport cities. My paternal great grandparents were from Sala Consilina which I know is a city in the Vallo Di Diano area of Salerno Province very close to the border of Basilicata. I am curious to know if Sala Consilina during Middle Ages might've been a trade route either coming from the North to South or from Salerno seaport across and inward to cities like Sala Consilina. I know Sala Consilina has remnants of a castle used as a fortress for the Saracen invasions during Medieval Times. Seems they left a significant mark in this part of Campania -Southern Italy.
eperrotti

Post by eperrotti »

My mother was Ester Tafuri, born 1910 in Santa Lucia, Napoli. I'm searching for information on this surname in Napoli. Other surnames associated with this family are Russo, Perrotti, Errico and Costagliola. Any information on this would be helpful. Thanks.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

There are online records for Naples abt 1810-1865. So, we'd need at least your GF's name to try to help. Do you know something more about Ester's family?

eperrotti

Post by eperrotti »

The information I have is pretty slim. Her father's name was Ermanno Tafuri and her mother's name was Giovanna Errico. Giovanna's father was Antonio Errico, her mother Luisa Russo. I have no info on Ermanno Tafuri, nor do I have any dates. All of this is from second- and third-hand oral stories.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

PippoM wrote:There are online records for Naples abt 1810-1865. So, we'd need at least your GF's name to try to help. Do you know something more about Ester's family?
Ciao, Pippo :D

On the ship manifest, Ermanno Tafuri's ADDRESS is listed as
Vico 1 S. Nic. Dog. 11 - Napoli

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... _4555-0236

T.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Thank you, Tessa, but unfortunately I don't have access to Ancestry!

eperrotti

Post by eperrotti »

Hello, Thanks for your responses. I had found that passenger list with Ermanno Tafuri on it. I also found one with him and Ettore Perrotti, my father. From what I can tell (it's very confusing), my father might be my mother's uncle, not an unheard of situation, I'm sure. I did do some browsing of those 1810 to 1865 records but did not find anything. Is there a way to attach an image or document? I have a few sketchy details in a family tree program. I think, since I'm pretty much starting from scratch, date-wise, I need to get my mother's birth certificate. Do you know a way to do this? The exact date is 20 September 1910. Mille grazzie!