Help finding grandfather Ciolli information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jenny_Abrams

Help finding grandfather Ciolli information

Post by Jenny_Abrams »

My grandfather Nicandro Ciolli was from Rocco di Mezzo near L'Aguila. I dont know his birthdate but think it woud be in the 1880s. He lived in South Africa for a time in the 1900s-1920s and returned to Italy where he died in either 1924 or 1925 of pneumonia, aged in the 40s

He had two older brothers that I know of, Vincenzo and Tonino. Vincenzo died in Italy in the 1960s, both having also lived in South Africa for a while.

Without a birthdate or date of death I am finding it difficult to find out any information and would appreciate any help

thank you
Jenny Abrams
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help finding grandfather Ciolli information

Post by PeterTimber »

The civil records for Rocco di Mezzo (AQ) for allbirths,marriages and detahs can be found at your nearest Momron family History library where the film canm be rented and viewed for all entries from 1809 to 1905 I believe. His birth will show up along with his entire family. Should you wish to obtain a birth record from Rocco di Mezzo youi can write to UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE, Comune di Rocca Di Mezzo, (AQ), Abruzzo region. Go to www.mangeruca.com for form letter in Italian language and also for postal code for Rocca Di Mezzo which can be added to the address. There is no charge for this service,however, if you wish you can send the equivalent of $10.00US in Rands by cash or check in a self addressed envelope. The clerks who research do so at the end of their walk in duty day. Needless to say they are poorly paid. You have to wait about 6-8 weeks for the certificate....when making your request for a birth record give them an approximate age or year of birth so they can zero in on his records. Also request the long form=ESTRATTO DI NASCITA since it has more information. =Peter=
Jenny_Abrams

Post by Jenny_Abrams »

Thank you Peter

I will contact the closest mormon library here in Pietermaritzburg as well as writing

regards
Jenny Abrams
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The records on micorfilm are handwritten and in Italian so obtain companion book for micorfilm Disc overing Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson and bring along a magnifying glass toclarify that turn of the century beautiful handwriting!! =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscript: Should you write away for a birth record you can approximate his year of birth or range of years. If you know his fathers name that helps. =Peter=
pollmadoll

Post by pollmadoll »

Hi there I wonder if this information might help. I married into the Ciolii family in 1999. The family are from Cape Town. Our son's grandfather is called Nicandro Cioll who is 80 and they own the Ciolli Brother's Quarry. I live in the UK in Wiltshire. My ex has just got back from Cape Town where he saw alot of his family