looking for Alphonse Gentlemark

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
faulsdk

looking for Alphonse Gentlemark

Post by faulsdk »

I am sure this is not the given "surname". Census shows immigration year of 1903 from Italy to the U.S. Unable to find much more than a few documents such as: draft card, marriage license, death certificate, city directories, and US census 1910, 1920, 1930, Alphonse passed away December 18, 1934. My family knows very little. Would like to find out where he migrated phone and what town he lived in prior to his travel to US when he was about 15.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: looking for Alphonse Gentlemark

Post by Anizio »

Gentlemark is absolutely not a real name, you are right. I think the best course of action would be to try and find his immigration record on a passenger list, since it may contain his town of origin.

I can find two records of ships from Italy to the US in 1903,
the SS Hohenzollern, whose records were damaged, and
the Sicilian Prince, whose records I cannot find.

Maybe someone else who has more experience searching for passenger lists knows how to find these?
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I found the death record (that you say you already have) for Alfonso Gentlemark:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archives/d ... 046174.PDF

but I can't read what it states about his and his parents' birthplace; however, it doesn't seem to be "Italy"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

PippoM wrote:I found the death record (that you say you already have) for Alfonso Gentlemark:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archives/d ... 046174.PDF

but I can't read what it states about his and his parents' birthplace; however, it doesn't seem to be "Italy"
It looks like the clerk misspelled Italy as "Iltay" (three times!) :D

This may be a far-fetched idea, but the only one I could come up with :lol:
There is a long surname in Province f Bologna that would fit if "Gentlemark" was a phonetic shortening of the surname. What do you think?
Gentilini Marchioni - rare but found in town of Porretta Terme, Province of Bologna

T.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Tessa78 wrote:
This may be a far-fetched idea, but the only one I could come up with :lol:
There is a long surname in Province f Bologna that would fit if "Gentlemark" was a phonetic shortening of the surname. What do you think?
Gentilini Marchioni - rare but found in town of Porretta Terme, Province of Bologna

T.
I was also thinking they may have combined names. I was thinking it could be Gentile or Gentili FROM Marche....but really there's no way to know without documentary evidence.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

faulsdk wrote:I am sure this is not the given "surname". Census shows immigration year of 1903 from Italy to the U.S. Unable to find much more than a few documents such as: draft card, marriage license, death certificate, city directories, and US census 1910, 1920, 1930, Alphonse passed away December 18, 1934. My family knows very little. Would like to find out where he migrated phone and what town he lived in prior to his travel to US when he was about 15.
Hi, on marriage license are the Alfonso parent's names?
Thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

There is a family tree on ancestry.com, I don't know if this your tree or not. If it is not your tree maybe you can contact them.
faulsdk

Post by faulsdk »

Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes I have a copy of the death certificate. For himself and his parents it says birthplace Italy with mother's maiden name also as unknown. Just about all records, note parents "unknown". The Alphonse Gentlemark family tree on ancestory is me. Thanks Tessa78, I will try looking more into the Gentilini Marchioni in the town of Porretta Terme, Province of Bologna. You just never know.

If Alphonse was a "foundling" (orphan) prior to immigrating to the U.S. I read the officers who placed or accepted the child would record a birth register. Not necessarily a birth certificate. Looking to determine who I would send requests to over in Italy. I read possibly seven different townships the foundlings were recorded into those registers regardless of where the child was left, abandon, or parents were killed, etc.

Rumor has it through my family that a person was sent here to the United States first....Dominick DeFrench who was assigned to sponsor Alphonse when he arrived. Digging into that direction also. On Dominick's draft card it lists Introdacqua, Italy as the birth place.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you have a birth date from Domenico DeFrench's draft registration?
Edit: Found the card.
On his WWI registration he gives his DOB of 23 May 1887. That would make him about 2 years older than Alfonso.
Do you have arrival info for Domenico?

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, it could be the italian surname spelling: GIAMMARCO?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

There's really no point it guessing it could be anyone number of surnames belonging to several dozen different families for each. The only way to know is to find some record of his immigration in the US, or his emigration in Italy. Short of that its all guess work with no way of knowing if the name or people you uncover are correct.
faulsdk

Post by faulsdk »

Yes, I have the draft craft for Dominick. Date of birth is 1887, but Dominick's death certificate says 1885. Silliness! No arrival information for either Alphonse or Dominick. That's what I am striving so hard to find. I was using Dominick as a help to find Alphonse if the family gossip was correct. That Dominick came first. One of the census shows Dominick coming over in 1908. Spelling is a little off for Dominick's surname Defranci. But Alphonse census shows 1903. So back and forth with info. you get so excited! I found it I found it. Nope....poop.....gotta dig for more! I think that is the way this goes. I am afraid Anzio is correct. No point in guessing until I can find some record making it concrete evidence. I will check out the website suanj provided. Thanks everyone! Really appreciate your ideas and suggestions. :)
faulsdk

Post by faulsdk »

Suanj I took at look at the surname GIAMMARCO. I did find passenger records for Massachusetts Passenger and Crew List, 1820 - 1963 with a friends name of Domenico Venteresa. When reviewing the actual record it lists "cousin" for Domenico. Maybe this could lead somewhere. I will be researching further. Thanks again for your help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

By Introdacqua civil records, available on antenati website, but just until 1865, well the surname spelling is also GIAMARCO, (1 m) as a well, probably DeFrench was the italian Di Francesco, that is also a surname of Introdacqua...
this Alfonso Giammarco :
Alfonso Giammarco

Massachusetts, Boston Passenger Lists

Name: Alfonso Giammarco
Event Type: Immigration
Event Date: 1904
Event Place: Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States
Birth Year (Estimated): 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Ship Name: Republic

coming from Prezza ( very close Introdacqua) and joining at Domenico VENTRESCA.. well maybe is no your Alfonso because I found this other record:

Alphonse Giammarco

United States Census, 1930

Name: Alphonse Giammarco
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1930
Event Place: Richmond (Districts 1-250), Richmond, New York, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Servant
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Servant
Birth Year (Estimated): 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1922
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Philip Berardini Head M 42 New York
Adele Berardini Wife F 41 New York
Donez Berardini Daughter F 17 New York
Alphonse Giammarco Servant M 43 Italy
Imm. in 1922..?? :shock:

However I am a bit positive that almost the "marco" is a part of your Alfonso's surname... if Introdacqua is the possible birthplace, the surnames are: Giammarco/Giamarco and Di Marco---
just a suggestion...
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
faulsdk

Post by faulsdk »

Found the same thing you did Suanj on the Name: Alfonso Giammarco. Working to research on the surnames for both Alphonse and Dominick you provided hoping that the birthplace is Introdacqua. Thank you.