Looking for help/direction-ancestor Salvatore Ferro, Caserta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cheyennef

Looking for help/direction-ancestor Salvatore Ferro, Caserta

Post by cheyennef »

Hi everyone. I'm brand new on this board. I'm researching my paternal great grandfather (among others) and I'm having problems finding any records of his from Italy. I've searched through ancestry.com/family search, and tediously scrolled through some of the scanned microfilms for Caserta and Capua. He lists his hometown as sometimes Capua and sometimes Caserta. I'm confused on which location is relevant information...? Where would the records be kept now?

Salvatore Ferro
DATE OF BIRTH- January 2, 1879 (according to WWII draft card)
PARENTS- Luigi Ferro and Anna DiMaia (according to his NYC marriage in 1918- 2nd marriage to Marie Drisco (whose parents Salvatore Drisco and Laura Esposito- ALSO of Caserta, so... I have a lot of Caserta research and understanding to do....)

He was married in Italy first. I know according to family stories that she stayed back in Italy with 3 children (no clue when they were born) and never came to the U.S. I found what appears to be him travelling from Italy to US 3 times between 1903 and 1913 and it looks like at one point he states her name to be "Anna".

Can someone point me in the right direction for how I should proceed? Caserta vs. Capua? If you have an address for where I could write, if appropriate, I'd be grateful. Is there a Catholic parish that would keep baptism/marriage records that covers this whole area?

Thank you all!

Cheyenne
Researching ancestry.
Last names: Ferro, Drisco, Esposito, De Maio.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Looking for help/direction-ancestor Salvatore Ferro, Cas

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG your family comes from Capua Caserta here is the brother of Salvatore Ferro Gaetano Ferro marriage record
Index#33
1903 May 17th in the town of Capua appeared Gaetano Ferro age 27 bricklayer born and resides in Capua son of deceased Luigi Ferro and Anna De Maio married Teresa Valletta age 20 born and resides in Capua daughter of Nicola Vallletta and Raffaela Martucci

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,954416201
Looking for Salvatores records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Salvatore Ferro and Marianna Guarino
Index#68
1901 Oct 5th in the town of Capua appeared Salvatore Ferro age 22 sewer of wool cloth born and resides in Capua son of deceased Luigi Ferro and Anna De Maio married Marianna Guarino age 20 born and resides in Capua daughter of Carmine Guarino and Francesca Gingero

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,954416201

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth extract of Salvatore Ferro
Index#5
1879 Jan 3rd at 4:00 PM in the town of Capua appeared Luigi Ferro age 39 journalist (son of deceased Gaetano Ferro)with his wife Anna De Maio gave birth to a male child they named Salvatore Ferro

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349544401

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Death record of Luigi Ferro
Index#4
1885 Jan 3rd at 9:00 AM in the town of Capua the death Luigi Ferro age 49 journalist born and resides in Capua son of deceased Gaetano Ferro and deceased Luisa Santagate husband of the living Anna De Maio

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349544401

Marty

Marty
cheyennef

Post by cheyennef »

Wow! (jaw drop) Thank you so much!

I have to ask how you were able to find this so quickly. I had looked through familysearch, but hadn't located the information. Is there a directory or index that I'm missing? I'm so impressed and thankful! :)
Researching ancestry.
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robin B Mc »

cheyennef wrote:Wow! (jaw drop) Thank you so much!

I have to ask how you were able to find this so quickly. I had looked through familysearch, but hadn't located the information. Is there a directory or index that I'm missing? I'm so impressed and thankful! :)
There's often an index at the beginning or end of each year, though not always. Occasionally there's a decade index. Depends on the location and time period.

For example, here's the index for the 1903 marriages where Marty found the first record he posted: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,954416201 - it's at the beginning of the 1903 marriages, but other collections may have it listed at the end of the year. Always fun when there's no index at all.
cheyennef

Post by cheyennef »

Ahhh! I was searching in the very back of scanned document, not thinking it was a book for very year. (Now my logic seems really naive!) Has anyone taken the time to make a list of which pages the annual indexes are on? As I look through the Capua files, I'll take note of these pages, unless someone's done this already...?

Thank you Marty and Robin!
Researching ancestry.
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robin B Mc »

cheyennef wrote:Ahhh! I was searching in the very back of scanned document, not thinking it was a book for very year. (Now my logic seems really naive!) Has anyone taken the time to make a list of which pages the annual indexes are on? As I look through the Capua files, I'll take note of these pages, unless someone's done this already...?

Thank you Marty and Robin!
Not that I know of but I could set up a collaborative Google Doc for it... if you PM me with your email address I can add you as an editor: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pmP ... 8-N7HI/pub
cheyennef

Post by cheyennef »

Great idea! PM sent!
Researching ancestry.